Microsoft System Center Essentials 2010
Microsoft® System Center Essentials (SCE) 2010 offers a versatile, integrated solution designed for managing operating systems, applications, hardware and IT services in multivendor environments with up to 500 client systems and a combination of 50 virtual/physical server OS instances.
With the addition of Microsoft Hyper-V™ technology and Dell™ OpenManage™ software tools developed for use with the System Center portfolio, IT generalists can:
- Improve operational efficiencies
- Reduce IT complexity
- Manage virtual and physical IT resources through a single management console effectively
System Center Essentials Benefits
- Consolidate physical servers and workloads as virtual machines with the click of a button.
- Automate the most frequent and time-consuming IT maintenance tasks to maximize productivity and reduce operational expenses.
- Manage your entire infrastructure, including Windows-based operating systems, business applications and databases, as well as heterogeneous hardware and software through the use of third-party management tools developed for use with the System Center portfolio.
- Accelerate problem resolution with proactive monitoring and automated system updates and data collection.
System Center Essentials With OpenManage Integration Benefits
Dell offers the OpenManage Integration Suite for Microsoft System Center, a portfolio of essential software tools designed to help customers more efficiently, securely and cost-effectively utilize and manage their IT assets. These software tools — available as no-charge downloads from www.support.dell.com and www.dell.com/systemcenter — enable greater visibility, control and flexibility in managing Dell hardware in Windows-based environments.
Leverage the Dell OpenManage Integration Suite for Microsoft System Center portfolio to:
- Keep systems up and running smoothly with integrated health monitoring for Dell PowerEdge™ servers, EqualLogic™ and PowerVault™ storage, Dell Precision™ workstations, OptiPlex™ desktops, Latitude™ laptops and Dell printers by utilizing the Dell Server Management Pack Suite, Dell EqualLogic Storage Management Pack, Dell PowerVault MD Storage Array Management Pack Suites, Dell Client Management Pack and Dell Printers Management Pack.
- Scan and update BIOS, firmware and drivers for Dell PowerEdge servers, blades and business-client PCs running Windows operating systems to improve systems’ availability, security and performance utilizing Dell Server Update Catalog* and Dell Client Update Catalog.*
- Provide effective management of Dell host servers and their virtual machine workloads by creating operational policies and automating remedial actions based on those policies utilizing the Dell Server PRO Management Pack with PRO-Tips.
Installation Options and Recommendations
Dell offers the System Center Essentials 2010 Console Management Suite, which includes the Management Console Server, Server Management and Client Management Licenses, as an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) option available with the purchase of a Dell PowerEdge Server.
Dell OEM SCE 2010 Server Management Licenses (SMLs) are offered in increments of one and five, while Client Management Licenses (CMLs) are offered in increments of five and 20. Dell also provides technical support for customers who purchase the SCE 2010 Console Management Suite as an OEM option with the purchase of a new PowerEdge server. Additional Server Management and Client Management Licenses are available as Customer Kits after the point of sale (POS) of a Dell PowerEdge server by contacting your Dell Software Specialist or Account Manager.
Dell also provides Microsoft SCE 2010 Console Management Suite, Server Management and Client Management Licenses available through the Dell Volume Licensing Center and as retail offerings through Dell Software and Peripherals (S&P) and Dell Channel Partners.
Microsoft SQL Server® Express technology is a standard component of System Center Essentials 2010. Microsoft SQL Server® 2008 R2 Express is ideal for learning and for developing and powering desktop, web and small server applications. You may prefer running your business applications on Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard, a data management and business intelligence platform designed for midsized organizations that enables effective database management and requires minimal IT resources.
For IT environments that are expected to grow beyond 500 business clients or more than 50 server OS instances, Dell recommends the purchase of System Center Enterprise editions: System Center Operations Manager (SCOM) 2007, System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) 2007 and System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008.
*Dell Server and Client Update Catalogs are integrated and automatically downloaded through the Microsoft System Center Essentials 2010 Console as soon as they are released by Dell.