Table of Contents
- Uninstalling the Adobe Flash player
- Reinstalling and testing the Adobe Flash Player
This article provides information on how to uninstall and reinstall the Adobe Flash Player within Windows.
If you encounter problems using the Adobe Flash Player within your internet browser, you should first follow the steps below to uninstall the player software and associated files:
NOTE: If you are using Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 do NOT perform steps 6 and 7.
- Install the Flash Player Uninstaller .
- Click the icon of the uninstaller that downloaded in your browser. This will likely run automatically if done in Internet Explorer. If using Chrome, it may appear as a clickable download in the bottom left; in Firefox the download icon will appear in the upper right corner or an independent "Downloads" box
- Follow the prompts to load the uninstaller program. If you see the message "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?" please click Yes.
- Once the uninstaller opens, make sure you close all open programs and click Uninstall to begin removing the Flash Player.
- Restart the computer.
- Delete all remaining files (except for the FlashInstall.log file) and folders located in the following directories (you can just copy and paste these file paths into the File Explorer search bar):
- C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash (do not delete the FlashInstall.log file)
- C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash (if you are using a 64-bit system; do not delete FlashInstall.log file)
- %appdata%\Adobe\Flash Player
- %appdata%\Macromedia\Flash Player
- Verify that the files FlashPlayerCPLApp.cpl, FlashPlayerApp.exe, and FlashPlayerInstaller.exe in C:\Windows\system32\ (for 32-bit systems) or C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ (if you are using a 64-bit system) have been deleted.
- At this point, the Flash Player should be fully removed from your computer. Reboot the computer and follow the steps below to reinstall the Flash Player.
Back to Top
Once you've verified the Flash Player software is removed, follow these steps to reinstall:
- Before running the Flash Player Installer, make sure your antivirus program is disabled.
- Download the Flash Player from the following location : Adobe Flash Player Install for all versions .
- Follow the onscreen prompts to run and install the Flash Player software.
- Verify the player installed correctly at Adobe's Flash Player Help site .
- Once you've verified the Flash Player installed correctly, re-enable your antivirus program.
For further information, reference the following Adobe forum article: How do I do a clean install of Flash Player - Windows?
Back to Top