Ideal balance of density and scalability
Get scalable computing and storage in a 1U, 2-socket platform with an ideal mix of performance, cost and density for most data centers.
- Up to two Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors, up to 28 cores per processor
- Canonical® Ubuntu® LTS
Microsoft Windows Server® with Hyper-V Red Hat® Enterprise Linux
SUSE® Linux Enterprise Server VMware® ESXi
- 24 DDR4 DIMM slots, Supports RDIMM /LRDIMM, speeds up to 2666, 1.5TB max
Up to 12 NVDIMM, 192 GB Max
Supports registered ECC DDR4 DIMMs only
Front drive bays:
Up to 10 x 2.5” with up to 8 NVMe, SAS/SATA/SSD/NVMe, max 58TB
Up to 4 x 3.5” SAS/SATA, max 40TB
Rear drive bays:
Up to 2 x 2.5” SAS/SATA/SSD/NVMe, max 12TB
- TPM 1.2/2.0 optional Cryptographically signed firmware
Network daughter card options:
4 x 1GE or 2 x 10GE + 2 x 1GE or 4 x 10GE or 2 x 25GE
Video, 1 x USB 2.0, available USB 3.0, dedicated IDRAC Direct USB
Video, serial, 2 x USB 3.0, dedicated iDRAC network port
VGA, NVIDIA NVS310 available as PCIe card Up to 3 x Gen3 slots, all x16
- Optional LCD or Security bezel
- Titanium 750W, Platinum 495W, 750W, 1100W, and 1600W
48VDC 1100W, 380HVDC 1100W, 240HVDC 750W
Hot plug power supplies with full redundancy option Up to 8 hot plugs fans with full redundancy
PERC H330, H730p, H740p, HBA330, Software RAID (SWRAID) S140
Boot Optimized Storage Subsystem:
HWRAID 2 x M.2 SSDs 120GB, 240 GB
External PERC (RAID):
External HBAs (non-RAID):
12 Gbps SAS HBA
- Embedded / At-the-Server
iDRAC9 with Lifecycle Controller (Express, Enterprise)
iDRAC REST API with Redfish
Quick Sync 2 BLE/wireless module
OpenManage Power Center
iDRAC Service Module
OpenManage Server Administrator
OpenManage Storage Services
Dell EMC Repository Manager
Dell EMC System Update
Dell EMC Server Update Utility
Dell EMC Update Catalogs
Microsoft® System Center
BMC software (available from BMC)
Nagios Core and Nagios XI
HPE Operations Manager i (OMi)
IBM Tivoli® Netcool/OMNIbus
IBM Tivoli® Network Manager IP Edition
Uncompromising performance and density for data center productivity and scaleThe PowerEdge R640 is the ideal dual-socket platform for dense scale-out data center computing and storage. Benefit from the flexibilty of 2.5” or 3.5” drives, the performance of NVMe and embedded intelligence to ensure optimized application performance in a secure platform. With embedded diagnostics and SupportAssist, the R640 delivers maximum uptime in a worry-free environment.
- Dense software-defined storage
- Service providers: application tier
- Dense private cloud
Drive transformation with the Dell EMC PowerEdge portfolioData center evolution starts with modern platforms that easily scale and are optimized for application performance. The PowerEdge R640 is built upon a scalable system architecture and provides the choice and flexibility to easily meet performance demands.
- Simplify deployment and easily scale from 3 to 1000+ nodes for software-defined storage with Dell EMC Ready Node for ScaleIO.
- Maximize storage performance with up to 8 NVMe drives.
- Scale compute resources with Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors, delivering a 27% increase in processing cores and 50% increase in bandwidth over previous generation of Xeon processors*.
Automate productivity with intelligent, embedded managementDell EMC automation and intelligent management mean you spend less time on routine maintenance so you can focus on bigger priorities.
- Help maximize uptime with proactive diagnostics and automated remediation that increase productivity up to 90%*.
- Leverage existing management consoles with easy integrations for VMware® vSphere®, Microsoft® System Center and Nagios®.
- Improve productivity with agent-free Dell EMC iDRAC9 for automated, efficient management.
- Simplify deployment with OpenManage next-generation console and server profiles to fully configure and prep servers in rapid, scalable fashion.
Fortify your data center with comprehensive protectionDell EMC provides a comprehensive, cyber-resilient architecture with security embedded into every server to protect your data.
- Protect server configuration and firmware from malicious changes with new Configuration Lock-down.
- Use system erase of local storage to help ensure data privacy when you repurpose or retire servers.
- Automate updates that check file dependencies and proper update sequence, before deploying them independently from the OS/hypervisor.
- Take control of your firmware consoles with embedded authentication that is designed to allow only properly designed updates to run.