High-performance, efficient and scalable Dell Storage SAN.
Enhance storage performance, efficiency and scalability with the Dell Storage SC8000 Array Controller.
- Product OS
Storage Center 6.1 or greater
All-flash, hybrid or HDD arrays
Policy-based migration based on real-time data usage, customizable 512KB-4MB page size
Up to 3 primary (media-based) tiers total, up to 2 SSD tiers (write- and read-intensive SSDs)
User-defined profiles, option to “pin” volumes to any tier
RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, RAID 10, and RAID 10 DM (Dual Mirror); any combination of RAID levels can exist on a single array
Auto-provisions and dynamically restripes multiple RAID levels on the same tier; no need to pre-allocate RAID groups
Active by default on all volumes, operates at full performance across all features
Records changes only, snapshots auto-migrate to lower-cost storage
Intelligent deduplication* and compression
Selectable option per volume on SSD and/or HDD tiers
Compression-only option also available
Synchronous/Asynchronous using FC or iSCSI
Federated multi-array systems
Live Migrate (included in base product) enables host-transparent data movement among arrays*
Volume Advisor continually monitors federation to suggest optimal data placement based on customizable capacity or performance load balancing policies
Dell Storage Manager provides data center-level viewpoint and control*
Coexistence with PS Series arrays*
Replication in either direction
Day-to-day management from a single interface
Thin import: space-efficient, non-disruptive data migration from PS Series arrays
Live Volume auto-failover, auto-repair
VMware Metro Stretch Cluster support
Microsoft® Azure Site Recovery
Application data protection
Restore host-side data from array in Oracle, Microsoft or VMware environments
Self-encrypting drives (SEDs) in SSD or HDD formats
Full Disk Encryption (FCE) based on AES-256
Drives certified to FIPS 140-2 Level 2
Key Management Server (KMS) options available for FIPS 140-2 Level 1, 2 and 3
External key manager support
Gemalto’s SafeNet KeySecure k460, SafeNet KeySecure k250, SafeNet KeySecure k150v
Thales EMS 200
- Management interface
Dell Storage Manager, formerly Enterprise Manager
Multi-array, multi-site, cross-platform management from single interface*
Microsoft PowerShell API
Host OS support
Microsoft® Windows Server®, Oracle® Solaris, HP®-UX, Oracle Linux, IBM® AIX®, Novell® NetWare, SLES, Apple, HPTru64, VMware®, Citrix® XenServer®, RedHat®
Third-party application integration
VMware, Oracle, Microsoft, IBM, OpenStack, Symantec, Commvault, Foglight, Docker (see SC Series Management spec sheet for more details)
VMware Metro Stretch Clusters
IBM VIOS Recognized
Support assist (phone home), remote diagnostics and performance monitoring, automated alerts, reports and notifications, departmental chargeback
- Storage capacity: Up to 960 drives (3PB raw capacity) per dual-controller system; larger capacity available in federated systems*
Memory: Up to 128GB total available cache per dual-controller system; larger cache capacity available in federated systems*
2.5” drives: Up to 24 drives per SC220 expansion enclosure
3.5” drives: Up to 12 per SC200 expansion enclosure, 84 per SC280 expansion enclosure
- Two 2.5GHz 6-core Intel™ processors per controller
- Per dual-controller system; multiple systems may be federated*
Fibre Channel (4Gb, 8Gb, 16Gb), iSCSI (1Gb, 10Gb), FCoE (10Gb)
Simultaneous interface support
Maximum Front-End Ports
16 (Fibre Channel), 10 (1Gb iSCSI), 10 (10Gb iSCSI), 10 (FCoE) per controller. NOTE: SC8000 controller can support up to 16 FC front-end ports with 4-port low-profile SAS back-end IO option.
SAS (6Gb & 3Gb), Fibre Channel (2Gb, 4Gb, 8Gb)
Maximum Back-End Ports
16 (Fibre Channel), 20 (SAS) per controller – NOTE: No SATA ports, FC and SATA enclosures are connected to FC8 IO card.
Fibre Channel and SATA expansion enclosures connect to SC8000 via Fibre Channel IO expansion card
- Drive Interfaces
SAS and NL-SAS drives. Also backwards compatible with existing Compellent Fibre Channel and SATA drives.
Different drive types, transfer rates and rotational speeds can be mixed in same system
- Storage Controller
Rack size: 2U
Height: 87.3 mm (3.44 inch)
Width: 482.4 mm (18.98 inch) with rack latches
444 mm (17.08 inch) without rack latches
Depth: 755.8 mm (29.75 inch) with bezel
Weight: 19.73 kg (43.5 lbs)
ReadyRails™ II static rails for tool-less mounting in 4-post racks with square or unthreaded round holes or tooled mounting in 4-post threaded-hole racks
Environmental Operating Conditions
- SC8000 Controller:
Power: Dual, Redundant 750W 80 plus® Platinum certified power supplies
Maximum Power: 425W
Max Heat Dissipation: 1,450 BTU/hr
Operating Temperature: 50 - 95°F (10 - 35°C)
Non-Operating Temperature: -40 - 149°F (-40 - 65°C)
Operating Humidity Ranges (non-condensing): Operating, 20% to 80%
Non-Operating Humidity (non-condensing): 5% to 95%
Inlet Type: NEMA 5-15/CS22.2, n°42
FCC Class A; EN55022 Class A; EN 61000-3-2/-3-3; CISPR 22 Class A; EN55024/CISPR 24; (EN 61000-4-2, EN 61000-4-3, EN 61000-4-4, EN 61000-4-5, EN 61000-4-6, EN 61000-4-8, EN 61000-4-11); EN60950/IEC 60950 Compliant UL Listed (USA), CUL Listed (Canada), TUV Certified (Germany), CE Marking (Europe)
- Product Safety, EMC and Environmental Datasheets
Dell Regulatory Compliance Home Page
Dell and the Environment
The Dell SC8000 Storage Center Controller, SC200/SC220 Expansion Enclosures, and SC280 Dense Enclosure have earned the ENERGY STAR Data Center Storage designation. Click here to learn more about the ENERGY STAR Storage 1.0 designation*.
Optimized performance and efficiencyThe Dell Storage SC8000 offers high performance for midsize to large deployments with enterprise processing power and advanced software. The SC8000 can dynamically scale to meet a wide range of business requirements while offering all the effiencies of the SC Series line.
- Self-optimizing architecture responds to real-time data use
- Advanced multi-tier SSD capability that can revolutionize your all-flash and hybrid flash performance*
- Performance levels over 300,000 IOPS for sequential reads* and over 100,000 IOPS with sub-millisecond latency on OLTP workloads*
- Multi-array federation capability included with base product
- Native auto-failover for business continuity
- Intelligent deduplication* and compression
- Enhanced virtualization and encryption
- Cross-platform replication and shared management with PS Series arrays*
Scalable and flexible enterprise storageExperience the combined benefits of Dell Storage SC Series architecture and a resilient Dell hardware design that allows you to grow your data center without forklift upgrades.
- 2U rack chassis with dual six-core Intel® Xeon® processors and up to 128GB total cache per dual controller system
- Simultaneous iSCSI, Fibre Channel (FC) and Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE) front-end interconnects
- Single console monitoring, scaling up to 960 SAS drives in multiple enclosures (SC200, SC200, SC280) per controller system and scaling out to many systems across numerous sites
- Included Live Migrate “storage hypervisor” feature lets you move volumes non-disruptively between arrays without remapping hosts*
- Seamless integration with the optional FS8600 NAS appliance for fully interoperable block and file storage
Enhanced software protects and powers your dataThe latest Dell Storage Center OS builds on the SC Series legacy with even better efficiency and flexibility including:
- Deeper intelligence and efficiency drives real cost savings you can reinvest in your business, with intelligent compression and deduplication* for all drive types, dynamic RAID tiering and pervasive “thin” methods.
- Enhanced storage virtualization and control lets you map resources to business priorities, meeting Service Level Agreements (SLAs) for mission-critical apps with QoS and VVols support.*
- Unprecedented levels of flexibility and investment protection allows SC arrays to coexist and replicate in PS Series environments.*
Global services and supportDell Services can help reduce IT complexity, lower costs and eliminate inefficiencies by making IT and business solutions work harder for you. The Dell Services team delivers distinctive capabilities, including Copilot support and optimization as well as full data migration solutions to facilitate consolidation from multiple file systems. Dell takes a holistic view of your needs and designs solutions for your environment and business objectives while using established delivery methods, local talent and in-depth domain knowledge to help lower your total cost of ownership.
A new level of Storage Center OS efficiencySCOS 7 is a ground-breaking leap forward in the evolution of Dell’s SC platform, offering diverse environments the ideal access point to deploy uniquely adaptable, future-ready storage solutions. New capabilities include:
- Over 10:1 capacity savings with intelligent deduplication and compression*
- Federated data control with Live Migrate*
- Seamless business continuity with Live Volume auto-failover between arrays
- Unified management and cross-platform replication between SC and PS Series arrays*
- Quality-of-Service (QoS), VMware Virtual Volumes (VVols) support,* iSCSI Datacenter Bridging (DCB)* and more…
Key SC Series OS and software advantages are summarized below. See individual spec sheets and product documentation for additional features and specific platform support.
Self-optimizing, automated storageBased on actual use and application performance requirements, SC Series Data Progression automatically optimizes your drive tiers and RAID levels for performance and cost savings. By default, all new data is written to fastest Tier 1 drives at RAID 10 performance levels, then converted to economical RAID 5/6 for subsequent reads.
As data ages, it’s moved to less expensive storage until it becomes more active again. All-flash and hybrid arrays can leverage the unique attibutes of write- and read-intensive SSDs in combination. Data is precisely where it’s needed, when it’s needed – the perfect combination of high IOPs and cost savings.
Space savings in the data centerSC Series delivers unprecedented levels of platform efficiency, plus the most comprehensive data reduction.*
- Intelligent deduplication* and compression for all storage tiers and drive types
- Dynamic Capacity (thin provisioning) completely separates storage allocation from utilization, enabling you to allocate any size volume up front yet only consume physical capacity on write
- Data Instant Replays solves tradeoff issues between snapshot granularity and capacity cost savings
- Remote Instant Replay (“thin replication”) offers a cost-effective disaster recovery solution
Advanced data mobility, business continuity and securityThe SC Series Live Migrate “storage hypervisor” feature,* included with the base product, allows you to move data seamlessly between arrays without remapping your hosts, optimizing utilization of available capacity and cache across federated multi-array systems.
Live Volume auto-failover offers a native business continuity solution, providing volume-level protection from unplanned outages with no need for additional hardware or software.
And, to avoid data loss or compromise from physical security breaches, the SC Series offers a complete range of FIPS 140-2 certified self-encrypting drives (SEDs) in both SSD and HDD formats, plus support for leading third-party key managers.
Intuitive management at your fingertipsDell Storage Manager (DSM, formerly known as Enterprise Manager)* provides comprehensive monitoring and management of all local and remote SC Series arrays. With DSM you can streamline administration and reduce operating costs with advanced features like volume-level QoS, VVols support* and departmental “charge-back” reporting, allowing instant visibility and control of a multi-terabyte, multi-location environment.
DSM also allows you to perform day-to-day tasks across SC and PS Series arrays from a single management interface. Easy-to-use data replication and migration between platforms gives PS customers flexibility to add SC arrays to their environment, if and when they choose.*
Data center automation with leading technology partner integrationsSC Series features a vast array of integration points with VMware, Microsoft, Oracle, OpenStack, IBM, CommVault, Symantec, Foglight and more. VMware® vSphere™ plug-in, vCenter™ SRM adapter and VAAI support help you manage storage and virtual machines together.
With the introduction of Application Protection Manager for Oracle and now enhanced for the Linux environment,* you can create application-consistent Replays for Oracle databases. Combined with Storage Center Data Instant Replay (DIR), it will ensure reliable application, consistent backup and recovery of Oracle and Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy (VSS) enabled applications (Exchange, SQL and Hyper-V) and VMware virtual machines (VMs).
Dell Storage SC Series expansion enclosures
SC8000 supports non-disruptive expansion to 960 drives (over 3PB raw capacity) per array, with even larger capacities available in federated multi-array configurations. Flash and/or HDD tiers are supported to meet specific performance, cost or density needs using any combination of the following expansion enclosures.
Dell Storage SC200
| Dell Storage SC220 |
Dell Storage SC280
Dell offers a wide range of professional services to simplify the assessment, design, implementation, management and maintenance of your SC Series environment, including 24x7 Dell Copilot support with over 94 percent customer satisfaction.* Dell Services storage experts go beyond everyday administration to help you improve the performance and utilization of your Dell Storage Center system. The SC Series Services portfolio provides system installation and implementation as well as training. From disaster recovery planning to physical relocation, the Dell Services team is available to provide professional assistance when you need it.
Comprehensive, integrated support
Operating out of state-of-the-art global call centers, Dell Copilot engineers continuously monitor system performance and alert customers of potential issues. Dell Copilot Support provides:
- 24x7 access to highly trained Dell Copilot Support engineers
- Priority or next business day on-site response by certified technicians
- Priority, next business day or UPS ground delivery of replacement parts
- Storage system monitoring via integrated SupportAssist technology
Dell Copilot Support enables you to choose the right level of phone support, on-site* support and parts delivery for your unique business needs.
- Call center: Perfect for enterprise storage environments that need immediate phone assistance. Every call is answered by a highly trained Copilot engineer who takes ownership of the entire storage infrastructure, including third-party technology partner products.
- On-site: Choose from priority (4/8/24-hour, depending on location) or next business day on-site* response by a certified technician.
- Parts delivery: Choose from priority (4/8/24-hour, depending on location) or next business day parts delivery. UPS ground shipping also available.
For your data management and protection, Dell Copilot Support offers warranty* protection for hardware components. The Software Subscription includes perpetual software licensing for patches, updates and releases, so the only additional fees you incur are when adding new functionality or more capacity.
Additionally, Dell Copilot SupportAssist provides enhanced proactive support capabilities through:
- Remote monitoring of system capacity and performance
- Automatic capacity threshold alerts
- Proactive calls from Copilot engineer to notify customer of possible issues
Optimize your storage performance
Through the personal assistance of a dedicated support expert, Dell Copilot Optimize can help you improve system utilization and performance with proactive reviews, health checks and evaluations. It includes proactive IT planning to ensure your Storage Center systems evolve with your changing data center requirements. Daily system performance monitoring helps ensure a highly available and optimal performing storage area network (SAN). Ongoing best practice guidance from your storage expert helps minimize diagnostic troubleshooting and reduce service calls. Should an issue arise, your support expert will work with Copilot to ensure a timely resolution.
Implement fast. Implement correctly. Implement once.
Dell ProDeploy Enteprise Suite* can reduce costs and relieve your IT department of time-consuming implementation tasks that otherwise divert valuable IT resources from business-critical activities. We bring two unmatched values to every implementation: deep knowledge of our products and broad experience from performing thousands of deployments every year, in just about every type of customer environment. You can be confident that your new SC Series storage system is installed properly, configured per the design specifications and that your data is migrated safely from your legacy storage system without disruption.
Start on the right path
Decrease downtime, improve utilization and ensure business continuity with storage training from Dell Education Services. With SC Series training from Dell, SC Series Administrators will learn to perform key administrative tasks for Storage Center and effectively manage all tools associated with Storage Center operations.
Transform your data center
Dell Storage Consulting Services can help you develop transformational strategies to meet your complex data management business needs while freeing up valuable resources, budget and time. Consulting services can help with:
- Storage infrastructure consolidation within one/multiple data centers
- Storage infrastructure optimization for virtual environments
- Data protection process development or improvement of backup operational processes
- Classification and categorization of data for storage tiering
- IT Disaster Recovery planning, design and implementation or simply Data Disaster Recovery