Simple, scalable and affordable fixed-content storage
The Dell™ DX Object Storage Platform is designed to intelligently access, store, protect and distribute fixed digital content. From web publishing to archiving, the Dell DX Object Storage Platform offers a powerful combination of data and storage management features, and an elegant, self-managing, peer-scaling architecture.
- Simple — Simple to implement, manage and adapt
- Scalable — Scalable from a few terabytes to multiple petabytes; store billions of files and get broad access through HTTP
- Affordable — Self-managing and self-healing with x86 hardware and integrated software
What is object storage?Rapid growth of unstructured data such as files, images and videos is bloating primary storage and complicating data management, leading to needless cost pressures and inefficient data use. Object-based storage offers a solution.
A flat-address-space design removes file-system complexity and the need to manage logical unit numbers (LUNs) and RAID groups.
Automated management, serial ATA- (SATA) and near-line SAS based storage and a modular scaling approach result in low total cost of ownership.
By incorporating metadata into objects, object-based storage enables you to apply preservation, retention and deletion policies — thereby reducing lower management resources — and to facilitate enhanced discovery.
An extremely large number of available addresses means a common storage pool can support literally billions of objects.
Powerful data managementInformation is only valuable when it can be accessed, but keeping it readily available can be cumbersome and expensive. With the Dell DX Object Storage Platform, you can streamline data management while easily expanding capacity.
Object-based and metadata-aware disk storage lets you identify and retrieve information quickly; better leverage your data for decision-making; automatically manage that data from creation through deletion; and minimize your dependence on complex and sometimes unreliable tape storage.
- Policy-based management provides automated, object-level retention and deletion based on metadata, eliminating the human errors, access and preservation problems that increase risk and drive up costs.
- Self-healing functionality continuously self-manages the integrity of stored objects to detect and repair errors and automatically reconfigures and regenerates objects without the need for IT intervention.
- Easy interface employs simple HTTP and offers a native API SDK integration toolkit.
- Dell ProConsult Services* offer collaborative consultation to help you design a system that fits your specific needs.
You can reduce your storage footprint and improve storage utilization and optimization with the DX6000G Storage Compression Node (SCN). This feature can transmit compressed or decompressed data, using policies to intelligently move archived objects based on your need for high compression or fast rehydration.
The Dell DX Object Storage Platform is also supported by a large and ever-growing number of independent software vendors (ISVs) who can help maximize your investment with a common object-storage pool for multiple applications.
Dell is developing integrations with partners in areas such as medical archiving, file, e-mail and SharePoint archiving, as well as eDiscovery and enterprise content management spaces. Information for ISV partners who would like to be a part of this program can be found here.
Billions and billionsYou can be confident that DX Object Storage will scale to keep pace with your growth. Ideal for large-scale digital content and long-term data storage, object storage empowers your organization to add capacity without the setup and management complexity and the costs of performance storage.
- Massively expand your system, scaling in amounts as small as 3TB up to multiple petabytes and billions of objects, without the complexity or limitations of a traditional file system.
- Flexible, peer-scaling architecture allows you to scale at your own pace, ensuring a perfect balance between capacity and throughput.
- Cloud enabling DX Object Storage allows users to build a digital content cloud that can be leveraged across an organization for governance, discovery and business intelligence.
- Foundational Storage Tier provides access to unstructured data for multiple applications, securing data in one place for risk and cost management and enabling enhanced discovery and decision-making capabilities.
Superb cost managementThe eye-opening value of DX Object Storage can help cut storage costs versus traditional performance storage methods, allowing you to affordably store and access your digital content without locking yourself into a costly, inflexible strategy.
- Standards-based x86 hardware
Built on Dell’s rack-based server platform that is optimized for storage.
- End-to-end solution
Fully integrated hardware and software solution with available design, implementation and support services.
- Transparent upgrades
As storage needs evolve, you can easily add, replace or retire nodes without any manual migration requirements.
- Power optimization
Configure power-optimization features, such as drive spin-down, to meet specific use-case and cost priorities.
DELL SERVICES IT CONSULTINGDell Services leverages Dell's targeted consulting methodology based on experience gained through thousands of customer engagements to keep projects on time and on task. Dell can collaboratively help you plan, assess and implement data management projects, and provide the training and knowledge handoff to help ensure your storage system effectiveness.
|Storage Simplification Workshop |
Understand the potential
|Backup, Recovery & Archiving Assessment |
Make informed decisions
Lay the path for success
Capture the value
DATA ARCHIVING AND DELL SERVICESLeveraging proven experience and methodology, Dell Services can help you identify, design, implement and maintain the right data archiving solution for your environment.
Backup, Recovery and Archiving AssessmentUnderstanding the customer's data archiving needs with actionable recommendations in this updated assessment offering
Data Archiving DesignData Archiving solutions design offering tailored to customer needs with solutions that include DX Object Storage, Symantec™ and CommVault® products.
DX Object Storage Solution DesignDX Object Storage-specific data archiving design services to ensure successful implementation/deployment in complex environments.
Dell ProSupportDell breaks the mold of traditional IT support with Dell ProSupport* — a 100 percent configurable suite of professional support services that can simplify your IT from the desktop to the data center.
With Dell ProSupport you can customize your support services based on who you want supported, how you want them supported and your preferred speed of response. Customize your support even further for specific needs such as asset and data protection or proactive support.
The Dell ProSupport portfolio can provide:
- Expertise for specialized applications and technology, such as virtualization, systems management, Microsoft Exchange and more
- Proactive problem avoidance services to help ensure you achieve maximum uptime
- Rapid response to help reduce unplanned downtime
- Tech-to-tech support with Fast-Track Dispatch for certified IT professionals
- Enables your mobile workforce while helping protect your investment
- Keep your end users moving with notebook tracking and data protection services
To get started, simply choose the Dell ProSupport for IT (in English) service model designed for IT professionals like you, and then take advantage of the Dell ProSupport options and recommended solutions below that align to how you use your technology.