40-port 8Gb Fibre Channel Switch
Fibre Channel ports
- 40 ports, universal (E, F, M, EX, and FL)
- Full fabric architecture with 239 switches maximum
- 6000 active nodes; single fabric up to 56 switches, 19 hops; larger fabrics certified as required.
- All Brocade switches
- 1.063 Gbit/sec line speed (full duplex); 2.125 Gbit/sec line speed (full duplex); 4.25 Gbit/sec line speed (full duplex); 8.5 Gbit/sec line speed (full duplex); auto-sensing of 1, 2, 4, and 8 Gbit/sec port speeds; optionally programmable to fixed port speed; speed matching between 1, 2, 4, and 8 Gbit/sec ports
- Frame-based trunking with up to eight 8 Gbit/sec ports per ISL trunk with optional license; up to 68 Gbit/sec per ISL trunk (8 ports × 8.5 Gbit/sec [line rate])
- 680 Gbit/sec: 40 ports × 8.5 Gbit/sec (line rate) × 2 (full duplex)
- Locally switched ports 700 ns with no contention, cut-through routing at 8 Gbit/sec
Maximum frame size
- 2112-byte payload
Classes of Service
- Class 2, Class 3, Class F (inter-switch frames)
- FL_Port, F_Port, M_Port (Mirror Port), E_Port, EX_Port (Fibre Channel Integrated Routing); self-discovery based on switch type (U_Port); optional port type control
Data Traffic Types
- Fabric switches supporting unicast, multicast (255 groups), and broadcast
- 4 Gbit/sec: Requires Brocade hot-pluggable, Small Form-factor Pluggable (SFP), LC connector; 4 Gbit/sec Short-Wavelength Laser (SWL)
8 Gbit/sec: Requires Brocade hot-pluggable SFP+, LC connector; Short-Wavelength Laser (SWL); distance depends on fiber-optic cable and port speed; 8 Gbit/sec Extended Long-Wavelength Laser (ELWL).
- Simple Name Server (SNS); Registered State Change Notification (RSCN); NTP v3; Reliable Commit Service (RCS); Dynamic Path Selection (DPS); Brocade Advanced Zoning (default zoning, port/WW N zoning, broadcast zoning); NPIV; N_Port Trunking; FDMI; Management Server; FSPF; Fabric W atch; Extended Fabrics; ISL Trunking; Advanced Performance Monitoring; Adaptive Networking (per data flow QoS, Ingress Rate Limiting, Traffic Isolation, Top Talkers; licensing varies); IPoFC, Integrated Routing; Frame Redirection; Port Fencing; BB credit recovery
- Rack-mount rail kits (fixed, slide, mid-mount)
- Telnet®, HTTP, SNMP v1/v3 (FE MIB, FC Management MIB); Auditing, Syslog, Change Management tracking; EZSwitchSetup wizard; Brocade Advanced Web Tools; Brocade EFCM Standard/Enterprise 9.x (optional); Brocade Fabric Manager (optional: FOS environments (only); SMI-S compliant, SMI-S scripting toolkit, Administrative Domains; trial licenses for select add on capabilities.
10/100 Ethernet (RJ-45), in-band over Fibre Channel; serial port (RJ-45); USB; call-home integration enabled through Brocade EFCM and Brocade Fabric Manager
- POST and embedded online/offline diagnostics, including RAStrace logging, environmental monitoring, non-disruptive daemon restart, FCping and Pathinfo (FC traceroute), port mirroring (SPAN port).
- Rack Size 1U
Width 42.88 cm (16.88 in)
Height 4.29 cm (1.69 in)
Depth 61.05 cm (24.00 in)
Weight 9.3 kg (20.60 lbs) with dual power supplies, no SFP
Environmental Operating Conditions
- Temperature Operating:
Operating:0°C to 40°C (32°F to 104°F)
Non-Operating: -25°C to 70°C (-13°F to 158°F)
Operating: 10 to 95 percent non-condensing
Operating: Up to 3000 meters (9842 feet)
Storage: Up to 12 kilometers (39,370 feet)
Operating: 20 g, 6 ms half-sine
Non-operating: Half sine, 33 g 11 ms, 3/eg Axis
Operating: 0.5 g sine, 0.4 grms random, 5 to 500 Hz
Non-operating: 2.0 g sine, 1.1 grms random, 5 to 500 Hz
High speed: 29 CFM (cu. ft./min)
Low speed: 22 CFM
- Maximum output :
System power consumption :
91 Watts max (with 40 ports at 8Gbit/sec), 84 Watts nominal
Nominal input voltage :
100 to 240 VAC, Universal
Input line frequency :
47 to 63 Hz
Minimum input voltage :
Maximum input voltage :
BTU rating (80% efficiency) :
Inrush current :
- The 5100 complies with the following safety certifications:
United States Bi-Nat UL/CSA 60950-1 1st Ed or latest; ANSI C63.4
Canada Bi-Nat UL/CSA 60950-1 1st Ed or latest; ICES-003 Class A
Japan CISPR22 and JEIDA (Harmonics)
European Community EN60950-1 or latest EN55022 and EN55024
Australia/New Zealand -- EN55022 or CISPR22 or AS/NZS CISPR22
Argentina IEC60950-1 or latest
Russian Federation IEC60950-1 or latest 51318.22-99 and 51318.24.99 or latest
Korea KN22 and KN24
China (PS only) GB4943-2001 and GB9254-1998 or latest; GB17625.1-2003 or latest
Taiwan (PS only) CNS 14336(94) or latest CNS 13438(95) or latest
Product Safety, EMC and Environmental Datasheets
Dell Regulatory Compliance Home Page
Dell and the Environment
HighlightsBrocade 5100 — 40 Port 8-Gbit/sec Fibre Channel switches for entry and midrange enterprise SANs
Fast, Reliable 8-Gbit/sec Performance
- Non-blocking and non-oversubscribed platform with a total bandwidth of 680 Gbit/sec in 1U
- Designed to increase network performance with enhanced Brocade Inter-Switch Link (ISL) Trunking, which allows up to eight ports (at 2, 4 or 8-Gbit/sec speeds) between a pair of switches to be combined to form a single, logical ISL with a speed up to 64 Gbit/sec
- Offers Adaptive Networking services, including Adaptive fabric quality of service (QoS), traffic isolation and ingress rate limiting, enabling organizations to maintain optimized application performance in virtual environments.
- Extended distance support that enables native Fibre Channel extension up to 3600 km
- Combines up to 40 ports of industry-leading 8-Gbit/sec technology with Ports on Demand scaling from 24 to 32 to 40 ports, allowing “pay-as-you-grow” scalability
- Provides integrated, per-port routing for excellent scalability, interoperability and fault isolation
- Designed to protect existing investments by providing 8-Gbit/sec technology with auto-sensing capabilities to also recognize 1, 2 and 4-Gbit/sec devices
- Helps future-proof investments by allowing organizations to use 4-Gbit/sec small form-factor pluggables (SFPs) today and upgrade to 8-Gbit/sec SFPs when required
Simple Deployment and Management
- Utilizes the Brocade EZSwitchSetup wizard, making SAN configuration a simple, three-step point-and-click task
- Includes a USB port that can increase serviceability and error logging by facilitating firmware upgrades and downloads of system log files
- Meets high-availability requirements with redundant, hot-pluggable components, nondisruptive software upgrades and hot code activation for a wide range of SAN configurations
- Employs familiar Brocade software and management interfaces, including Brocade EFCM and Brocade Fabric Manager, simplifying management and reducing training costs
Excellent Value for a Variety of SAN Environments
- Designed to provide a greater than 40 percent power efficiency improvement (Watts/Gbit) over the previous generation of Brocade switches. further helping to reduce power consumption and the overall cooling burden in a data center.
- A USB port provides excellent serviceability and error logging functionality by facilitating easy firmware upgrades and downloads of system log files.
- Top Talkers monitors resources and can assist in finding hot spots to increase resource utilization.
- Utilizing ISL Trunking and Dynamic Path Selection, traffic can be distributed across ISLs in the SAN, helping to increase utilization of the SAN and reduce costs.
Introducing Dell ProSupport
Professional, proactive and proven support services designed to address the technology challenges you face today.
Dell™ ProSupport™ starts with the Dell ProSupport for IT service model designed for IT professionals like you. Dell ProSupport for IT provides:
- 7x24 direct access to Dell expert centers
- Fast-track dispatch for Dell-certified technicians
- Escalation management through Dell’s Global Command Centers
Next, Dell ProSupport options align to the way you use technology — rapidly responding to your needs, helping to protect your investment, your productivity and your sensitive data, and providing excellent proactive support services that can reduce the risk and complexity of managing your infrastructure.
|SPEED OF RESPONSE||PROTECTION||PREMIUM PROACTIVE|
|Mission Critical — Perfect for server and storage environments where avoiding unplanned downtime and reducing recovery time through priority response are a must. The package includes priority 4-hour on-site service* or optional 2-hour response with 6-hour hardware repair, Dell's proven critical situation response process and emergency dispatch.||Keep Your Hard Drive* — Enables you to control your sensitive data by retaining your hard drive and helps you comply with current data privacy regulations to help mitigate risks associated with regulatory or civil liabilities.||Enterprise-wide Contract — Provides excellent proactive capabilities through: |
Remote Advisory Options — Provides telephone and internet access to technical expertise for specialized applications and solutions such as Microsoft® Exchange, virtualization and more.
|Customization and setup|
Infrastructure Consulting Services
Some key challenges facing IT departments today include simplifying operations, planning and building for scalability and improving utilization of their existing systems. Dell’s Infrastructure Consulting Services suite is organized into focused practice areas that signify the intersection of these common customer challenges and our domain expertise — including systems management, messaging, databases, virtualization/consolidation and storage.
Go from factory to deployment with Dell storage installation services. Our modular suite of installation services allow you to customize the right package of services needed to rapidly implement your new system.
Consolidation services provide a common platform to allocate and manage growing demands for data storage and helps reduce administrative effort by establishing a single management console. Dell's comprehensive approach to storage consolidation helps you accelerate productivity by delivering customized systems, software and services that ease management and can result in lower total cost of ownership.
SAN implementation services
This service includes planning, design, configuration, project management and implementation of Dell/EMC storage arrays (DAS and SAN). This service is available for Dell/EMC storage system solutions only and is not currently available for Dell PowerVault™ or (non-Dell) EMC storage array solutions.
Backup and recovery
To sustain the continued operation of your storage solution, you should engineer availability, security and reliability into every process from the outset. Dell can provide backup and recovery solutions that help ensure adequate procedures are in place to minimize or avoid data loss.
Asset Recovery and Recycling Services
Proper disposal, reselling and donation of computer equipment is a time-consuming task that typically falls to the bottom of many IT to-do lists. Dell helps simplify the end-of-life processes for IT equipment in a way that can maximize value for your organization.
Add a host
Dell provides for the design and implementation of a single Dell PowerEdge™ server or Dell PowerVault™ NAS (with approved operating system versions) as an additional host into an existing SAN or DAS solution.
Add a JBOD
Dell provides for the basic design, installation and implementation of a single Dell enclosure as additional storage into an existing Dell PowerVault™ Storage Area Network (SAN) or Direct Attach Storage (DAS) solution.
Dell Storage online training course
Arm your employees with the knowledge and skills they need to be as productive as possible. Dell offers comprehensive training services, which include hardware and software training, as well as PC skills and professional development classes. Dell training can help improve system reliability, maximize productivity and reduce end-user requests and downtime.