Value and performance in a four-socket, 2U rack server
Ideal for virtualization, medium databases, high-performance computing (HPC) and other highly threaded applications, the Dell™ PowerEdge™ R815 is a four-socket, 2U rack server that offers an excellent balance of processor density, redundancy and value in a space-saving form factor.
- Ability to scale up to 64 processors cores with AMD Opteron™ 6100 and 6200 series processors
- Four-socket performance in a space-saving 2U form factor
- Advanced systems-management capability with Lifecycle Controller
Purpose-Built for Reliability
Server Reliability: A Long-Term Goal
Dell customers have told us they need a server manufacturer that inspires confidence through its reliability, availability and quality of products. By listening to and focusing on what our customers want, we’ve set a simple reliability goal: Deliver quality products that stand the test of time.
To help meet this goal, Dell is dedicated to improving reliability processes by:
- Employing robust validation and testing processes for durable product design
- Verifying that each supplier meets Dell’s stringent quality standards
- Utilizing robust, durable industrial materials to enable long product lifecycles
- Introducing a Unified Server Configurator (USC), which helps to minimize downtime by offering embedded and persistent diagnostics with no media required
- Improving redundancy generation over generation with features such as dual internal SD modules that provide failover at the hypervisor level
- Implementing a "one-touch" quality-control process designed to ensure that one person is responsible for the entire server build
- Ensuring that every fully configured Dell server is tested—and retested—before it leaves the factory
Intelligent, Connected Systems Management
Along with its adherence to open standards, Dell’s systems-management portfolio focuses on simplicity, efficiency, cost containment and cost reduction. Additionally, we’ve integrated our management solutions with third-party offerings to provide your organization with a holistic focus across the solutions stack.
- Purpose-built to provide a reliable foundation, and balanced with next-generation AMD processors, advanced memory capacity and energy-efficient technologies, the Dell™ PowerEdge™ R815 offers an ideal combination of value and performance.
- Featuring AMD Opteron™ processor technology, the PowerEdge R815 is designed to handle demanding workloads with outstanding speed, stability, efficiency and bottom-line value. The PowerEdge R815 offers an ideal solution for virtualization, medium to large databases, email, high-performance computing (HPC) environments and other highly threaded applications.
- Dell aims to bring value to your business by including the features you need for your specific IT environment. Our goal is to deliver outstanding performance and value through tailored, intelligent platforms based on industry standards and purposeful, innovative design.
Along with rising energy costs, limitations on space, power and cooling capacity present enormous challenges for IT. PowerEdge servers drive energy efficiency as a design standard while delivering the performance you need to meet cost and environmental goals. Our energy-efficient system design, built with Energy Smart technologies, can help to manage power in your specific environment.
- AMD Opteron™ 6100, 6200 and 6300 series processors
- Microsoft® Windows Server® 2012
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 SP2, x86/x64 (x64 includes Hyper-V®)
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, x64 (includes Hyper-V v2)
Microsoft Windows® HPC Server 2008 R2
Novell® SUSE® Linux Enterprise Server
Red Hat® Enterprise Linux®
Microsoft Hyper-V through Microsoft Windows Server 2008
VMware® vSphere® ESX™ and ESXi™
Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization®
- AMD (SR5650, SR5670 and SP5100)
- Up to 1TB (32 DIMM slots) 1GB/2GB/4GB/8GB/16GB/32GB DDR3 up to 1600MT/s
- Hot-plug Hard Drive Options:
2.5" SAS SSD, SATA SSD, SAS (15K, 10K), nearline SAS (7.2K), SATA (7.2K)
Maximum Internal Storage:
Up to 6TB*
For information about Dell external storage options, visit Dell.com/Storage.
- Hot-Swap options available:
Up to six 2.5” SATA SSD, SAS, nearline SAS, or SATA drives
- 6 PCIe G2 slots + 1 storage slot:
Five x8 slots
One x4 slot
One x4 Storage slot
- Internal Controllers:
PERC H700 (6Gb/s) with 512MB battery-backed cache; 512MB, 1GB Non-Volatile battery-backed cache
PERC 6/i with 256MB battery-backed cache
PERC H800 (6Gb/s) with 512MB of battery-backed cache; 512MB, 1GB Non-Volatile battery-backed cache
PERC 6/E with 256MB or 512MB of battery-backed cache
External HBAs (non-RAID):
6Gbps SAS HBA
SAS 5/E HBA
LSI2032 PCIe SCSI HBA
- Two Dual-Port Broadcom 5709C Gigabit NICs
- Intel® 10GBase-T Copper Single-Port NIC, PCIe x8
Intel Single-Port Server Adapter, 10 Gigabit, SR Optical, PCIe x8
Broadcom® BMC57710 10Base-T Copper Single-Port NIC, PCIe x8
Broadcom 10GbE NIC, Broadcom Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+
Intel Gigabit ET Dual-Port Server Adapter
Intel Gigabit ET Quad-Port Server Adapter
Brocade® CNA Dual-Port adapter
Emulex® CNA iSCSI HBA stand up adapter OCE10102-IX-D
Emulex CNA iSCSI HBA stand up adapter OCE10102-FX-D
Optional add in Fibre Channel HBAs:
QLogic® QLE2462 FC4 Dual-Port
QLogic QLE220 FC4 Single-Port
QLogic QLE2460 FC4 Single-Port
QLogic QLE2562 FC8 Dual-Port, PCIe 2.0 x4
QLogic QLE2560 FC8 Single-Port, PCIe 2.0 x4
QLogic QLE2660 FC16 Single-Port, PCIe 3.0 x4
QLogic QLE2662 FC16 Dual-Port, PCIe 3.0 x4
Emulex® LPe-1150 FC4 Single-Port, PCIe x4
Emulex LPe-11002 FC4 Dual-Port, PCIe x4
Emulex LPe-12000, FC8 Single-Port, PCIe 2.0 x4
Emulex LPe-12002, FC8 Dual-Port, PCIe 2.0 x4
Brocade FC4 and 8 GB HBAs
- One hot-pluggable non-redundant 1100W power supply
Two hot-pluggable redundant 1100W power supplies
- Hot-plug hard drives, Hot-plug redundant power, dual SD modules, ECC memory, and an interactive LCD screen
- Matrox G200eW w/ 8MB
- Rack Chassis
3.40 H x 18.99 W x 28.25 D (in)
8.64 H x 48.24 W x 71.75 D (cm)
Sliding ReadyRails™ for 4-post racks, static ReadyRails™ for 4-post and 2-post racks, and optional support for cable management arm
- Dell™ OpenManage™
BMC, IPMI 2.0 compliant
iDRAC6 Express, with optional upgrade to iDRAC6 Enterprise and vFlash
Microsoft® System Center Essential (SCE) 2010 v2
Learn about the storage technology Dell offers that can enable you to derive maximum value from your information infrastructure.
No other company knows more about storing and protecting information on Dell servers and storage arrays—than Dell. Direct feedback from customers--fueled by the Dell direct model--drives the design and development of a broad range of storage products for organizations of all sizes. Upon consulting with you to understand your operational objectives, Dell can design and deploy a custom storage solution and become a primary contact to assist you with your enterprise applications and information.
|Storage Area Network (SAN): |
A network of shared storage resources
|Network Attached Storage (NAS): |
A storage server that connects to a network
|Disk Storage Arrays: |
Disk enclosures that connect to a server or network
|Disk Backup : |
Disk Based Backup and data protection
|Tape Automation: |
Automated tape systems for consolidated backup
|Tape Drives and Removable Disk Drives: |
Tape and Removable Disk Drive devices used to back up and restore information
Dell IT Consulting ServicesDell global infrastructure consulting services utilize skilled solution architects, innovative tools, automated analysis and our own intellectual property to give customers rapid insight into the root causes of unnecessary complexity. We seek better answers than traditional service models, based on our belief that solving problems should not need armies of people. Our strategy is to help customers quickly identify high-impact, short-duration projects that deliver ROI and free up resources to obtain competitive advantage. The result is practical, action-oriented plans with specific, predictable, measurable outcomes. From Data Center Optimization to Server Virtualization to Systems Management, our consulting services help you build a more efficient enterprise.
Dell Managed ServicesDell Managed Services are a modular set of lifecycle services designed to help customers automate and centrally configure, deploy, and manage their day-to-day data center operations. These services extend a customer’s existing on-premise IT infrastructure with off-premise cloud services designed to better address challenges with mobility, highly distributed organizations, security, compliance, business continuity and disaster preparedness.
Deploy: Our factory, remote and onsite installation services for servers make efficient use of your employees' time by helping to speed up activities like configuration, customization and deployment, enabling delivery of systems that are ready to work right out of the box.
Operate: Dell can help optimize your data center operations, including storage, backup and virtual environments by focusing on remote monitoring, reporting and alerts, along with full remote management for storage and backup environments, freeing up IT resources.
Protect: Dell Data Center Backup Management services are available to assist you with reporting to help refine SLA requirements, to provide monitoring to improve process efficiency or for the full management of your backup environment.
Recovery and Recycling: Dell Asset Recovery and Recycling Services help you recover and dispose of owned or leased computer equipment, in a manner that follows EPA guidelines.
Dell ProSupportDell ProSupport is a suite of support services that enable you to build the solution that’s right for your organization. Choose support models based on how you use technology and where you want to allocate resources. From the desktop to the datacenter, address everyday IT challenges such as unplanned downtime, mission critical needs, data and asset protection, support planning, resource allocation, software application management and more. Optimize your IT resources by prescribing the right support model.
|Lifecycle Controller enabled embedded management|
The Lifecycle Controller is the engine for advanced embedded management and is delivered as part of the iDRAC Express or optional iDRAC Enterprise in the PowerEdge R815. The Lifecycle Controller is a chip that is integrated on the server. It helps to simplify administrator tasks by performing a complete set of provisioning functions such as system deployment, system updates, hardware configuration and diagnostics from a single intuitive interface called Unified Server Configurator (USC) in a pre-OS environment. This eliminates the need to use and maintain multiple pieces of disparate CD/DVD media.
Dell Management Console
Open, flexible, integrated - manage your infrastructure, not your management consoles. With the introduction of Dell™ Management Console powered by Altiris® from Symantec™ , Dell is doing for systems management what we did for computer hardware, taking a complex, proprietary industry technology and transforming it by delivering a simple, streamlined, modular solution best adapted to your specific management needs.
|Microsoft Exchange 2010|
Does your business depend on robust messaging capabilities? Exchange 2010 is the right tool for the job and Dell is the right partner to deliver a complete user to datacenter solution. Exchange 2010 running on Dell's innovative hardware platform provides you a superior messaging and collaboration solution.