Because it is better to be safe than sorry, here are some simple tips to help ensure the information you backup is protected and can be recovered.
- Backup everything often
- Always check if backup was completed successfully
- Invest in tape automation to avoid the inconvenience of manual tape swapping
- Rotate tapes or tape sets to preserve multiple copies of data
- Keep backup copies offsite in case of a major disaster (fire, storm, or flood)
- Periodically clean tape drives and store tapes properly, away from heat and dust