Dell pretests and validates specific workloads for its Active System portfolio. The following workloads have been validated to run on the Active System 200.
- Active System 200 for Citrix® XenDesktop®
- Active System 200 for VMware® View™
- Active System 200 for Microsoft® VDI
- Active System 200 for Microsoft SharePoint®
- Hypervisor (options)
- VMware vSphere® 5.x
- Microsoft Windows Server® Hyper-V® 2012
- Dell Active System Manager
- VMware vCenter™ (VMware edition)
- Dell Management Plug-in for VMware vCenter (VMware edition) — optional
- Dell iDRAC 7 Enterprise
- Dell EqualLogic Host Integration Tools for VMware (HIT/VE) Plug-in for vCenter (VMware edition) — optional
- Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager (Microsoft edition)
- EqualLogic SAN Headquarters
- Dell OpenManage Server Essentials
Active System Manager provides an intuitive, automated, template-based experience for the deployment, orchestration and management of physical and virtual converged infrastructure. It streamlines management across the entire infrastructure and workload lifecycle, from discovery and inventory through provisioning, ongoing maintenance and decommissioning of infrastructure and workload resources.
Active System Manager enables organizations to:
- Speed discovery, configuration and deployment of physical and virtualized converged infrastructure
- Quickly and easily deploy application workloads using pre-built and customizable templates
- Efficiently allocate, optimize and manage converged infrastructure utilization through pooling and centralized control of server, storage and networking resources
- Lower workload and infrastructure administrative time and costs through automated workflow orchestration and streamlined, template-based deployment
- Consistently deliver quality IT services as the data center grows through resource scheduling and highly reliable automated provisioning
- Enable repeatable, extensible and flexible deployment and management of physical and virtual elements as new infrastructure and workloads are added
Additional tools, including Dell OpenManage Essentials, EqualLogic SAN Headquarters and iDRAC 7 are included for more detailed element management. Optional tools, including the Dell Management Plug-in for VMware vCenter and Dell EqualLogic Host Integration Tools for VMware Plug-in for vCenter are also available for customers requiring alternative management capabilities.Server summary
A Dell PowerEdge R720 rack server provides the core virtualization platform for the Active System 200, offering concentrated computing power in a 2-socket, 2U form factor. With high memory density and balanced I/O (input/output) it provides the ideal platform for the Active System 200 virtual environment.
- Active System 200 solution configuration ranges from three to seven hypervisor hosts and, depending on the configuration, offers between 48 and 112 processor cores (Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2660) and 384 to 672GB* of memory.
- Dual network interface cards (NICs) provide full redundancy and highly available interconnect for Active System 200. Each NIC offers impressive I/O capabilities with balanced, scalable features, including integrated PCIe Gen3-enabled expansion slots and choice of embedded NIC technology
- Integrated Dell Remote Access Controller (iDRAC 7) Enterprise Edition provides out-of-band server management
An included Dell virtualized PowerEdge R620 rack server functions as a host for the management tools.
For more information on Dell PowerEdge R720 servers, click here.
For more information on Dell PowerEdge R620 servers, click here.
Dual Dell EqualLogic PS6110 series storage arrays provide virtualized 10GbE iSCSI storage area network (SAN) storage that combines intelligence and automation with fault tolerance to offer simplified administration, rapid deployment, seamless scalability and enterprise performance and reliability.
- Standard starting configuration includes 24 hot-pluggable 2.5” 600GB* 10,000 rpm SAS hard drives, with total system capacity of up to 14.4TB*, scalable to 43.2TB* of raw storage. The system also supports 15,000 rpm SAS drives and 7,200 rpm NL-SAS drives.
- Fault-tolerant capabilities are supported through fully redundant and hot-swappable components (dual 10GbE controllers, disk drives with hot spares and dual power supplies).
- Dual controllers with multipathing offer high availability (SPF+ and 10GBASE-T port options)
For more information on Dell EqualLogic PS6110 Series storage, click here
Dell’s Networking S4810, 10/40GbE top-of-rack switch delivers Ethernet and storage connectivity for the Active System 200. Its nonblocking, cut-through switching architecture offers ultralow latency and line-rate Layer 2 and Layer 3 forwarding capacity to help maximize network throughout for high-performance data center environments. The space-saving compact design includes 48 dual-speed 1/10GbE (SFP+) ports as well as four 40GbE QSFP+ uplinks. The S4810 incorporates multiple architectural features that optimize data center network flexibility, efficiency and availability, including IO-panel-to-PSU airflow or PSU-to-IO-panel airflow for hot/cold aisle environments and redundant, hot-swappable power supplies and fans.
- Active System 200 comes standard with two Dell Networking 10/40GbE S4810 switches with a 1.28 Tbps (full-duplex) nonblocking, cut-through switching fabric that provides line-rate performance under full load with 800ns latency.
- Open Automation Framework adds VM-awareness as well as automated configuration and provisioning capabilities to simplify the management of virtual network environments.
- Modular Dell FTOS software offers inherent stability as well as advanced monitoring and serviceability functions.
One Dell Networking S55 switch is used for server connectivity management.Summary of other required integration elements
- Database compatible with VMware vCenter or Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager
- Domain Name System (DNS)
- Network Time Protocol (NTP)
- Network routing