Dell pretests and validates specific workloads for its Active System portfolio. The following workloads have been validated to run on the Active System 800.
- Active System 800 for Citrix® XenDesktop®
- Active System 800 for VMware® View™
- Active System 800 for Microsoft® Exchange
- Active System 800 for Microsoft Sharepoint®
- Active System 800 for Microsoft Lync®
- Active System 800 for Microsoft Unified Communications & Collaboration
- Hypervisor (options)
- VMware vSphere® 5.x
- Microsoft Windows Server® Hyper-V®
- Active System Manager
- VMware vCenter™ Server (VMware edition)
- Dell Management Plug-in for VMware vCenter (VMware edition) — optional
- Dell iDRAC 7 Enterprise
- Dell EqualLogic Host Integration Tools for VMware (HIT/VE) Plug-in for vCenter (VMware edition) — optional
- Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager (Microsoft edition)
- EqualLogic SAN Headquarters
- OpenManage Essentials with Repository Manager
Active System Manager provides an intuitive, automated, template-based experience for the deployment, orchestration and management of physical and virtual converged infrastructure. It streamlines management across the entire infrastructure and workload lifecycle, from discovery and inventory through provisioning, ongoing maintenance and decommissioning of infrastructure and workload resources.
Active System Manager enables organizations to:
- Speed discovery, configuration and deployment of physical and virtualized converged infrastructure.
- Quickly and easily deploy application workloads using pre-built and customizable templates.
- Efficiently allocate, optimize and manage converged infrastructure utilization through pooling and centralized control of server, storage, and networking resources.
- Lower workload and infrastructure administrative time and costs through automated workflow orchestration and streamlined, template-based deployment.
- Consistently deliver quality IT services as the data center grows through resource scheduling and highly reliable automated provisioning.
- Enable repeatable, extensible and flexible deployment and management of physical and virtual elements as new infrastructure and workloads are added.
Additional tools, including DellOpen Manage Essentials, EqualLogic SAN Headquarters and iDRAC 7 are included for more detailed element management. Optional tools, including the Dell Management Plug-in for VMware vCenter and Dell EqualLogic Host Integration Tools for VMware Plug-in for vCenter are also available for customers requiring alternative management capabilities.Server Summary
The PowerEdge M620 blade server offers outstanding memory density and superb performance with no compromise on enterprise-class features. The M620 offers an ideal blend of density, performance, efficiency and scalability, designed for heavy workloads, such as:
- Email, database and virtual environments.
- Mid-tier business processing, decision support and collaboration.
- Critical industrial research and development (R&D) high-performance computing applications.
- Feature-rich, 2-socket, half-height blade server.
- Designed for the full range of data centers.
- Ideal for high-performance workloads, such as virtualization and databases.
Optimized for virtualization
- Superb performance and exceptional flexibility.
- No compromise on enterprise-class features.
- Easy lifecycle manageability with innovative management tools.
- Large memory footprint (up to 768GB* in 24 DIMMs).
- Dual Secure Digital (SD) cards for redundant hypervisors (configuration helps ensure both are optimally aligned to help prevent units from reaching end of life at the same time).
- PCI Express flash drives provide extremely high IOPS over standard drives to help reduce I/O (input/output) bottlenecks.
Choice, scalability and growth
- Intelligent hardware-driven systems management.
- Extensive power management.
- Integration into virtualization management consoles.
- Innovative automation for parts replacement.
- Flexible memory density up to 24 DIMMs.
- Optional swappable hot-plug power supply unit, hard disk drives (HDDs) and fans in the M1000e blade enclosure.
- Two 10GbE Broadcom® converged network adaptors.
- Multiple RAID options to fit specific needs.
The Dell EqualLogic PS6110 series arrays provide virtualized 10GbE iSCSI storage area network (SAN) storage that combines intelligence and automation with fault tolerance to provide simplified administration, rapid deployment, seamless scalability and enterprise performance and reliability. The PS6110 series 10GbE arrays can use Data Center Bridging (DCB) to improve Ethernet quality of service and greatly reduce dropped packets for an end-to-end iSCSI-over-DCB solution, from host adapters to iSCSI target.Overview
- Great cost-per-gigabyte with serial attached SCSI (SAS), NL-SAS, solid-state drive and hybrid options.
- Fault-tolerant capabilities through fully redundant and hot-swappable components (dual 10GbE controllers, disk drives with hot spares and dual power supplies).
- Dual controllers offer SPF+ and 10GBASE-T port options to leverage your existing infrastructure or build out low-cost 10GBASE-T.
- Enterprise-level SAN for every-sized organization at no extra cost and with no additional licensing fees.
- On-demand scalability without disruption, helping provide exceptional flexibility at a low total cost of ownership.
- Automatic data tiering to help optimize pool performance and deliver the right data to the right place at the right time.
- Data Center Bridging helps improve Ethernet quality of service (QoS) and eliminate dropped packets for an end-to-end solution, from converged network adaptor to iSCSI target.
- SAN HQ multi-SAN historical performance monitoring and analysis tool for multiple virtualized EqualLogic SAN groups distributed across different data centers and remote offices
- Host Integration Tools, tightly integrated with Microsoft, VMware and Linux products at no additional cost, help reduce time spent on tedious storage management tasks while increasing the reliability and performance of your EqualLogic environment
Two Dell Networking S4810 10GbE top-of-rack switches in combination with two PowerEdge M I/O Aggregators in the M1000e blade enclosure provide an end-to-end converged fabric for LAN and iSCSI storage, from the blade server to the EqualLogic array.
- S4810 is a 1U high-density 10/40GbE top-of-rack (ToR) switch with 48 dual-speed 1/10GbE (SFP+) ports and four 40GbE (QSFP+) uplinks (totaling 64 10GbE ports with breakout cables).
- I/O Aggregator is a blade IO module that provides up to 16 10GbE uplink ports and 32-internal 10GbE ports for high-speed intra-chassis traffic that helps eliminate cables and reduces the number of ToR ports that are consumed. It is easily administered with plug-and-play functionality.
Feature-rich Dell Force10 operating system (FTOS)
- Fully IEEE DCB compliant, supporting the convergence of LAN and iSCSI storage traffic into a single network.
- Powers some of the largest and most demanding data center environments.
- Provides predictable, reliable network performance while reducing operations and management overhead.
- Uses industry-standard CLI with Layer 2 and Layer 3 switching and routing support.