Dell pretests and validates specific workloads for its Active System portfolio. The following workloads have been validated to run on the Active System 50.
- Active System 50 for Microsoft® Private Cloud
- Active System 50 for Citrix® XenDesktop®
- Active System 50 for VMware® View™
- Active System 50 for Microsoft VDI
- Hypervisor (options)
- VMware vSphere® ESXi 5.x
- Microsoft Windows Server® Hyper-V® 2012
- Dell Active System Manager
- VMware vCenter™ (VMware edition)
- Dell Management Plug-in for VMware vCenter (VMware edition) — optional
- Dell iDRAC 7 Enterprise
- Dell EqualLogic Host Integration Tools for VMware (HIT/VE) Plug-in for vCenter (VMware edition) — optional Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager (Microsoft edition)
- EqualLogic SAN Headquarters
- Dell OpenManage Server Essentials
Active System Manager provides an intuitive, automated, template-based experience for the deployment, orchestration, and management of physical and virtual converged infrastructure. It streamlines management across the entire infrastructure and workload lifecycle, from discovery and inventory through provisioning, ongoing maintenance and decommissioning of infrastructure and workload resources.
Active System Manager enables organizations to:
- Speed discovery, configuration and deployment of physical and virtualized converged infrastructure
- Quickly and easily deploy application workloads using pre-built and customizable templates
- Efficiently allocate, optimize and manage converged infrastructure utilization through pooling and centralized control of server, storage and networking resources
- Lower workload and infrastructure administrative time and costs through automated workflow orchestration and streamlined, template-based deployment
- Consistently deliver quality IT services as the data center grows through resource scheduling and highly reliable automated provisioning
- Enable repeatable, extensible and flexible deployment and management of physical and virtual elements as new infrastructure and workloads are added
Additional tools, including Dell OpenManage Essentials, EqualLogic SAN Headquarters and iDRAC 7 are included for more detailed element management. Optional tools, including the Dell Management Plug-in for VMware vCenter and Dell EqualLogic Host Integration Tools for VMware Plug-in for vCenter are also available for customers requiring alternative management capabilities.Server summary
A Dell PowerEdge R620 rack server provides the core virtualization platform for the Active System 50, offering concentrated computing power in a 2-socket, 1U form factor. It can maximize computing power in space-sensitive environments.
- Standard Active System 50 solution configuration includes two ESXi virtual servers with a total of 32 processor cores (Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2600 product family) and 128GB* of memory.
- Dual network interface cards (NICs) provide full redundancy and highly available interconnects for Active System 50. Each NIC offers impressive I/O (input/output) capabilities with balanced, scalable features, including integrated PCIe Gen3-enabled expansion slots and choice of embedded NIC technology.
- Integrated Dell Remote Access Controller (iDRAC 7) Enterprise Edition provides out-of-band server management.
An included Dell virtualized PowerEdge R420 rack server functions as a host for the management tools.
For more information on Dell PowerEdge R620 servers, click here
For more information on Dell PowerEdge R420 servers, click here
The Dell EqualLogic PS6100X storage array provides virtualized 1Gb iSCSI storage area network (SAN) storage that combines intelligence and automation with fault tolerance to provide simplified administration, rapid deployment, seamless scalability and enterprise performance and reliability.
- Standard configuration includes 24 hot-pluggable 2.5” 300GB* 10,000 rpm serial attached SCSI (SAS) hard drives, with total system capacity of up to 7.2TB.* The system also supports 15,000 rpm SAS drives and 7,200 rpm NL-SAS drives.
- Fault-tolerant capabilities are supported through fully redundant and hot-swappable components (dual 10GbE controllers, disk drives with hot spares and dual power supplies).
- Dual controllers with multipathing offer high availability (SPF+ and 10GBASE-T port options).
Dell Networking 7024 GbE switches are Layer 3 scalable top-of-rack switches that offer you the power and flexibility you need for today and the future. They offer advanced switching capabilities that include standard high-density 10GbE uplinks (1GbE uplinks also supported), high-performance stacking, high redundancy and availability, and they are scalable from the small business to the data center edge. The Dell Networking 7024 features:
- Up to 160 Mbps throughput and a data rate of up to 224 Gbps (full duplex) for both Layer 2 and Layer 3 environments.
- Simple management and scalability through a 128 Gbps high-availability stacking architecture that allows you to manage up to 12 switches from a single IP address. Share the upgradeable 10GbE ports across the stack for uplinks to the next network layer.
- Power-saving Energy Efficient Ethernet (IEEE 802.3az) ports that can reduce per-port power consumption to help lower electricity and cooling costs.
For more information on Dell Networking 7024 GbE switches, click here
Summary of other required integration elements
- Database compatible with VMware vCenter or Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager
- Domain Name System (DNS)
- Network Time Protocol (NTP)
- Network routing