Dell pretests and validates specific workloads for its Active System portfolio. The following workloads have been validated to run on the Active System 1000.
- Active System 1000 for Microsoft® Private Cloud
- Active System 1000 for Citrix® XenDesktop®
- Active System 1000 for VMware® View™
- Hypervisor (options)
- VMware® vSphere® 5.x
- Microsoft® Windows Server® Hyper-V® 2012
- Dell Active System Manager
- VMware vCenter™ Server (VMware edition)
- Dell Management Plug-in for VMware vCenter (VMware edition) — optional
- Dell iDRAC 7 Enterprise
- VMware vCloud® Connector (VMware edition) — optional
- Microsoft® System Center Virtual Machine Manager (Microsoft edition)
- Dell Compellent Enterprise Manager
- Dell Compellent Plug-in for VMware vCenter (VMware edition) — optional
- OpenManage Essentials with Repository Manager
Active System Manager provides an intuitive, automated, template-based experience for the deployment, orchestration, and management of physical and virtual converged infrastructure. It streamlines management across the entire infrastructure and workload lifecycle, from discovery and inventory through provisioning, ongoing maintenance and decommissioning of infrastructure and workload resources.
Active System Manager enables organizations to:
- Speed discovery, configuration and deployment of physical and virtualized converged infrastructure
- Quickly and easily deploy application workloads using pre-built and customizable templates
- Efficiently allocate, optimize and manage converged infrastructure utilization through pooling and centralized control of server, storage and networking resources
- Lower workload and infrastructure administrative time and costs through automated workflow orchestration and streamlined, template-based deployment
- Consistently deliver quality IT services as the data center grows through resource scheduling and highly reliable automated provisioning
- Enable repeatable, extensible and flexible deployment and management of physical and virtual elements as new infrastructure and workloads are added
Additional tools, including Dell OpenManage Essentials, EqualLogic SAN Headquarters and iDRAC 7 are included for more detailed element management. Optional tools, including the Dell Management Plug-in for VMware vCenter and Dell EqualLogic Host Integration Tools for VMware Plug-in for vCenter are also available for customers requiring alternative management capabilities.Server summary
The half-height PowerEdge M620 blade server offers unprecedented memory density and superb performance for the Active System 1000, with no compromise on enterprise-class features. The M620 is a near-perfect blend of density, performance, efficiency and scalability designed for taxing workloads such as email, database and virtual environments.
- Active System 1000 starter solution configuration includes eight VMware ESXi virtual servers with a total of 128 processor cores (Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2600 product family) and 1TB* of memory. The solution can scale to 32 virtual servers with 512 cores and 4TB* of memory.
- Active System 1000 leverages Broadcom® 57810-k dual-port 10Gb KR blade network daughter cards for Ethernet connectivity and QLogic® QME2572 8 Gbps Fibre Channel I/O (input/output) mezzanine cards for storage connectivity.
- Integrated Dell Remote Access Controller (iDRAC 7) Enterprise Edition provides out-of-band server management.
The PowerEdge M620 blade server is housed within the PowerEdge M1000e blade chassis, a high-performance, scalable, ultradense and power-efficient blade enclosure. The chassis integrates the latest in management, I/O, power and cooling technologies in a modular, easy-to-use package. Designed from the ground up to support current and upcoming generations of server, storage, networking and management technologies, the PowerEdge M1000e includes the headroom necessary to efficiently scale for the future.
Note: Two virtualized Dell PowerEdge R620 rack servers are also included and serve as hosts for the management tools.
For more information on the PowerEdge M620 blade server, click here
For more information on Dell PowerEdge R620 servers, click here
For more information on the PowerEdge M1000e blade chassis, click here
The Dell Compellent SC8000 Storage Center Controller and enclosure is an all-in-one storage array that allows organizations to actively manage data at a highly detailed level using built-in intelligence and automation. This ultraefficient, easy-to-manage storage solution optimizes drive utilization; dynamically moves data between storage tiers and RAID levels; continuously protects data against downtime and disaster; scales on demand and quickly adapts to ever-changing business needs. SC8000 offers increased capacity, a 64-bit OS, increased memory and memory performance, improved PCI bus performance and higher processing power over previous generation arrays, enhancing storage flexibility, resiliency and performance.
Active System 1000 features dual storage controllers to help ensure maximum uptime, each featuring a six-core Sandy Bridge Intel® processor, six PCIe expansion slots and 4GB1 of battery-less cache that features multithreaded read-ahead mirrored write technology for continuous data protection.
The Active System 1000 starter solution configuration features:
- Two SC220 2.5” drive enclosures with a total of 36 x 15,000 rpm/300GB* Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) drives
- One SC200 3.5” enclosure with seven 7,200 rpm/3TB* drives
- Total raw storage capacity of 31.8TB*
For larger solution configurations, Active System 1000 storage can be scaled up to:
- Six SC220 2.5” SAS enclosures with a total of 144 x 15,000 rpm/300GB* SAS drives
- Two SC200 3.5” enclosures with a total of 24 x 7,200 rpm/3TB* drives
- Total raw storage capacity of 115.2 TB*
Dell Compellent SC8000 supports RAID levels 0, 5, 6 and 10 Dual-Mirror. Any combination of RAID levels can exist on a single storage center and multiple RAID levels can exist on the same storage tier within an array. Storage is virtualized and pooled across the array without RAID group limitations.
A Brocade 6510 SAN switch provides the storage networking.Networking summary
Dell’s Networking S4810, 10/40GbE top-of-rack switch delivers Ethernet connectivity for the Active System 1000. Its nonblocking, cut-through switching architecture offers ultralow latency and line-rate Layer 2 and Layer 3 forwarding capacity to help maximize network throughout for high-performance data center environments. The space-saving compact design includes 48 dual-speed 1/10GbE (SFP+) ports as well as four 40GbE QSFP+ uplinks.
The S4810 incorporates multiple architectural features that optimize data center network flexibility, efficiency and availability. These include IO-panel-to-power supply unit (PSU) airflow or PSU-to-IO-panel airflow for hot/cold aisle environments and redundant, hot-swappable power supplies and fans.
- Active System 1000 comes standard with two Dell Networking 10/40GbE S4810 switches with a 1.28 Tbps (full duplex) nonblocking, cut-through switching fabric that provides line-rate performance under full load with 800ns latency.
- Open Automation Framework adds VM-awareness as well as automated configuration and provisioning capabilities to simplify the management of virtual network environments.
- Modular Dell Force10 Operating System (FTOS) software offers inherent stability as well as advanced monitoring and serviceability functions.
- Two Dell PowerEdge M I/O Aggregator I/O modules provide chassis connectivity to the top-of-rack switch.
- Two Brocade 8Gb 6510 Fibre Channel switches provide storage connectivity.
Note: One Dell Networking S55 switch is used for server connectivity management.
For more information on the Dell Networking S4810 switch, click here
For more information on the Dell Networking S55 switch, click here
For more information on the Dell PowerEdge I/O Aggregator, click here
. Summary of other required integration elements
- SQL Database — required for vCenter and Dell Compellent Enterprise Manager
- Domain Name System (DNS) — available on management network
- Network Time Protocol (NTP) — available on management network
- Network routing
- Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) — may be used by OpenManage Essentials and vCenter
- SysLog — recommended for vSphere, LAN switch and SAN switch logs