Simple, scalable and affordable fixed-content storage
The Dell™ DX Object Storage Platform is designed to intelligently access, store, protect and distribute fixed digital content. From Web publishing to archiving, the Dell DX Object Storage Platform offers a powerful combination of data and storage management features through an elegant, self-managing, peer-scaling architecture.
- Simple to implement, manage and adapt to your precise needs.
- Scalable from a few terabytes to multiple petabytes, storing billions of files with optional components:
- Affordable self-managing and self-healing system with x86 hardware and integrated software.
What is object storage?Object storage is the intelligent evolution of disk storage — creating, storing and distributing variable-sized data objects, and their associated metadata, rather than simply placing blocks of data on tracks and sectors. Each object has its rich metadata inextricably linked to it, enabling long-term preservation while ensuring data remains safe and accessible over time.
A flat-address-space design removes file-system complexity and the need to manage logical unit numbers (LUNs) and RAID groups.
Automated management, serial ATA- (SATA) and near-line SAS based storage and a modular scaling approach result in low total cost of ownership.
By incorporating metadata into objects, object-based storage enables you to apply preservation, retention and deletion policies — thereby reducing lower management resources — and to facilitate enhanced discovery.
An extremely large number of available addresses means a common storage pool can support literally billions of objects.
Powerful data managementInformation is only valuable when it can be accessed, but keeping it readily available can be cumbersome and expensive. With the Dell DX Object Storage Platform, you can streamline data management while easily expanding capacity.
Object-based and metadata-aware disk storage lets you identify and retrieve information quickly; better leverage your data for decision-making; automatically manage that data from creation through deletion; and minimize your dependence on complex and sometimes unreliable tape storage.
- Policy-based management provides automated, object-level retention and deletion based on metadata, eliminating the human errors, access and preservation problems that increase risk and drive up costs.
- Self-healing functionality continuously self-manages the integrity of stored objects to detect and repair errors and automatically reconfigures and regenerates objects without the need for IT intervention.
- Easy interface employs simple HTTP and offers a native API SDK integration toolkit.
- Dell ProConsult Services* offer collaborative consultation to help you design a system that fits your specific needs.
You can reduce your storage footprint and improve storage utilization and optimization with the DX6000G Storage Compression Node (SCN). This feature can transmit compressed or decompressed data, using policies to intelligently move archived objects based on your need for high compression or fast rehydration.
The Dell DX Object Storage Platform is also supported by a large and ever-growing number of independent software vendors (ISVs) who can help maximize your investment with a common object-storage pool for multiple applications.
“Scale to Billions of ObjectsYou can be confident that DX Object Storage will scale to keep pace with your growth. Ideal for large-scale digital content and long-term data storage, object storage empowers your organization to add capacity without the setup and management complexity and the costs of performance storage.
- Massively expand your system, scaling in amounts as small as 3TB up to multiple petabytes and billions of objects, without the complexity or limitations of a traditional file system.
- Flexible, peer-scaling architecture allows you to scale at your own pace, ensuring a perfect balance between capacity and throughput.
- Cloud enabling DX Object Storage allows users to build a digital content cloud that can be leveraged across an organization for governance, discovery and business intelligence.
- Multi-Tenancy with Named Objects allows customers to store and retrieve objects using a single name. As a result, it means that DX Object Storage can support multi-tenancy, which is the ability to separate data from different users on one big pool of storage, maintaining access to different sets (domains and buckets) of data by only certain users. This is a technology that is appealing to cloud storage providers and users who are looking to implement private clouds in their organization.
- Transparent Read Cache: DX nodes can cache frequently read objects in memory using a configurable amount of RAM leading to greatly reduced latency in providing data to the user. This provides improved performance for accessing content that is in high demand – similar to how content delivery networks operate.
- Foundational Storage Tier provides access to unstructured data for multiple applications, securing data in one place for risk and cost management and enabling enhanced discovery and decision-making capabilities.
Superb cost managementThe eye-opening value of DX Object Storage can help cut storage costs versus traditional performance storage methods, allowing you to affordably store and access your digital content without locking yourself into a costly, inflexible strategy.
- Standards-based x86 hardware
Built on Dell’s rack-based server platform that is optimized for storage.
- End-to-end solution
Fully integrated hardware and software solution with available design, implementation and support services.
- Transparent upgrades
As storage needs evolve, you can easily add, replace or retire nodes without any manual migration requirements.
- Power optimization
Configure power-optimization features, such as drive spin-down, to meet specific use-case and cost priorities.
Configuration flexibilityDell DX Object Storage Platform offers several configurations to meet current and future customer needs:
| DX6000 ||DX6000 Cluster Services Node provides content routing, network and replicator services for the DX solution.|
|DX60004S||4-drive DX storage node|
| DX6012S||12-drive DX storage node|
|DX6000G SCN||DX6000G Storage Compression Node (SCN) provides object compression (optional)|
Base configurations consist of one DX6000 and two of the same type DX storage nodes. Optional inclusion of the DX6000G Storage Compression Node (SCN) for data and object compression.
Please contact your Local Partner for further information.