Simple, scalable and affordable fixed-content storage
The Dell™ DX Object Storage Platform is designed to intelligently access, store, protect and distribute fixed digital content. From Web publishing to archiving, the Dell DX Object Storage Platform offers a powerful combination of data and storage management features through an elegant, self-managing, peer-scaling architecture.
- Simple to implement, manage and adapt to your precise needs.
- Scalable from a few terabytes to multiple petabytes, storing billions of files with optional components:
- Affordable self-managing and self-healing system with x86 hardware and integrated software.
What is object storage?Object storage is the intelligent evolution of disk storage — creating, storing and distributing variable-sized data objects, and their associated metadata, rather than simply placing blocks of data on tracks and sectors. Each object has its rich metadata inextricably linked to it, enabling long-term preservation while ensuring data remains safe and accessible over time.
A flat-address-space design removes file-system complexity and the need to manage logical unit numbers (LUNs) and RAID groups.
Automated management, serial ATA- (SATA) and near-line SAS based storage and a modular scaling approach result in low total cost of ownership.
By incorporating metadata into objects, object-based storage enables you to apply preservation, retention and deletion policies — thereby reducing lower management resources — and to facilitate enhanced discovery.
An extremely large number of available addresses means a common storage pool can support literally billions of objects.
Powerful data managementInformation is only valuable when it can be accessed, but keeping it readily available can be cumbersome and expensive. With the Dell DX Object Storage Platform, you can streamline data management while easily expanding capacity.
Object-based and metadata-aware disk storage lets you identify and retrieve information quickly; better leverage your data for decision-making; automatically manage that data from creation through deletion; and minimize your dependence on complex and sometimes unreliable tape storage.
- Policy-based management provides automated, object-level retention and deletion based on metadata, eliminating the human errors, access and preservation problems that increase risk and drive up costs.
- Self-healing functionality continuously self-manages the integrity of stored objects to detect and repair errors and automatically reconfigures and regenerates objects without the need for IT intervention.
- Easy interface employs simple HTTP and offers a native API SDK integration toolkit.
- Dell ProConsult Services* offer collaborative consultation to help you design a system that fits your specific needs.
You can reduce your storage footprint and improve storage utilization and optimization with the DX6000G Storage Compression Node (SCN). This feature can transmit compressed or decompressed data, using policies to intelligently move archived objects based on your need for high compression or fast rehydration.
The Dell DX Object Storage Platform is also supported by a large and ever-growing number of independent software vendors (ISVs) who can help maximize your investment with a common object-storage pool for multiple applications.
- Massively expand your system. Add capacity in amounts from 2TB* up to multiple petabytes and billions of objects, without the complexity or limitations of a traditional file system.
- Scale at your own pace. Flexible, peer-scaling architecture enables a perfect balance between capacity and throughput.
- Build a digital content cloud. DX Object Storage enables cloud computing across an organization for governance, discovery and business intelligence.
- Access unstructured data for multiple applications. Foundational storage tier secures data in one place for risk and cost management and enables enhanced discovery and decision-making capabilities.
- Compression solution (optional). Free up storage space using Dell’s new Ocarina based software featuring data compression.
Superb cost managementThe eye-opening value of DX Object Storage can help cut storage costs versus traditional performance storage methods, enabling you to affordably store and access your digital content without locking yourself into a costly, inflexible strategy.
- Standards-based x86 hardware
Built on Dell rack-based server platform that is optimized for storage.
- End-to-end solution
Fully integrated hardware and software solution with available design, implementation and support services.
- Transparent upgrades
As storage needs evolve, you can easily add, replace or retire nodes without any manual migration requirements.
- Power optimization
Configure power-optimization features, such as drive spin-down, to meet specific use-case and cost priorities.
Configuration flexibilityDell DX Object Storage Platform offers several configurations to meet current and future customer needs:
| DX6000 ||DX6000 Cluster Services Node provides content routing, network and replicator services for the DX solution.|
|DX60004S||4-drive DX storage node|
| DX6012S||12-drive DX storage node|
|DX6000G SCN||DX6000G Storage Compression Node (SCN) provides object compression (optional)|
Base configurations consist of one DX6000 and two of the same type DX storage nodes. Optional inclusion of the DX6000G Storage Compression Node (SCN) for data and object compression.
- User-defined object replication (no RAID required)
- Communication (Standard)
One Dual-Port Broadcom 5716 Gigabit NIC
Broadcom NetXtreme II 5709C Dual-port Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
- One non-redundant 350W power supply
Two hot-pluggable redundant 500W hot-plug power supplies
Height: 42.4mm (1.67")
Width: 434.0mm (17.10")
Depth: 610mm (24.00")
Weight (maximum configuration): 15kg (33.02lbs)
ReadyRails™ sliding rails for 4-post racks, static ReadyRails™ for 4-post and 2-post racks, and optional support for cable management arm
Hot-swap hard drives, redundant power, ECC memory, Quad-Pack LED, iDRAC6 Express or iDRAC6 Enterprise (optional)
- Systems Management:
BMC, IPMI 2.0 compliant
Lifecycle Controller enabled via iDRAC6 Enterprise
VFlash - Unified Server Communicator (optional)
Dell Compellent Copilot SupportLike having a Dell Compellent expert on staff.
Dell Compellent Copilot Support delivers proactive, comprehensive 24x7 technical support that covers the entire storage infrastructure. Operating out of a state-of-the-art U.S. call center, Copilot engineers continuously monitor system performance and alert customers of potential issues. Dell Compellent Copilot Support provides:
- 24x7 access to highly trained Dell Compellent Copilot Support engineers.
- Priority or next-business-day on-site response by Dell Compellent-certified technicians.
- Priority, next-business-day or UPS ground delivery of replacement parts.
- Real-time storage system monitoring via integrated PhoneHome technology.
|SPEED OF RESPONSE||PROTECTION||PREMIUM PROACTIVE|
|Call Center: Immediate - Perfect for enterprise storage environments where immediate phone assistance by a highly trained support engineer is a must to speed issue resolution and avoid unplanned downtime. On-Site: Priority or Next Business Day - Choose from Priority (4/8/24-hour, depending on location) or Next Business Day on-site response by a Dell Compellent-certified technician. Parts Delivery: Priority or Next Business Day - Choose from Priority (4/8/24-hour, depending on location) or Next Business Day parts delivery. UPS Ground shipping only also available.||Data Management and Protection||PhoneHome - Provides enhanced proactive support capabilities through:|
Dell Compellent Copilot ServicesCopilot Services, delivered by Dell Compellent storage experts, go beyond everyday administration to help you improve the performance and utilization of your Dell Compellent Storage Center system. The Copilot Services portfolio includes training, proactive optimization packages, storage consultation and system installation. From disaster recovery planning to physical relocation, the Copilot Services team is available to provide professional assistance when you need it.
- Copilot Train. These live, hands-on, instructor-led technical training courses provide storage administrators with the instruction required to perform key administrative and management tasks for a Dell Compellent Storage Center system. The 3-day Administration and Management course is designed to help you understand how to manage and maintain the system on an ongoing basis for maximum utilization and availability. The 3-day Advanced Administration course helps you build on the basics and increase your knowledge of both the core and licensed modules of Storage Center.
- Copilot Optimize. Through the personal assistance of a Technical Account Manager, Copilot Optimize helps you improve system utilization and performance with proactive reviews, health checks and evaluations, as well as advanced configuration and software support.
- Copilot Consult. With Copilot Consult, you can select individual services to assist with system architecture and storage administration. Areas of consultation include establishing and initially testing a disaster recovery plan, reducing the risk of moving hardware from one site to another and quickly migrating data from a legacy system to Storage Center.
- Copilot Install. When you work with the Copilot team to install your Storage Center, you can speed the time to deployment with professional on-site system configuration. Completed in one or two days, depending on your specific configuration, Copilot Install provides planning, installation, documentation and system orientation. From configuring basic servers and volumes to verifying PhoneHome functionality, Copilot Install delivers the services required to get your system ready for production.