Versatile, high-capacity direct-attached storage DAS
Dell™ PowerVault™ MD1200 direct-attached storage enclosure offers versatility and high-capacity storage for mainstream applications with optimal performance in sequential (streaming) applications.
- Seamless server and primary storage expansion for 6Gb/s SAS environments
- Supports mainstream and capacity-intensive applications such as email, backup to disk and video streaming
- Versatility for investment protection and data tiering
- Up to twelve (12) hot-pluggable SAS Hard Disk Drives (HDDs) at 7200, 10K and 15K rpm and SAS Solid State Drives (SSDs)
3.5" SAS HDDs
15,000 RPM 6Gb/s SAS drives available in 300GB*, 450GB* and 600GB*
7,200 RPM (Nearline) 6Gb/s SAS drives available in 500GB*, 1TB*, 2TB* and 3TB*
Maximum Capacity (per enclosure)
48TB* using 4TB* 3.5" 7,200 RPM 6Gb/s SAS disk drives
PERC H800 Host-RAID adapter enables expansion to 8 enclosures (4 enclosures per port)
- Support for the following configurations:
Unified mode (single path) for daisy chaining of up to 8 enclosures per PERC H800 (4 enclosures per port, single path)
Unified mode (redundant path) for daisy chaining up to 4 enclosures per PERC H800 (4 enclosures connected to both ports via redundant path cabling)
Split mode with dual Enclosure Management Modules providing direct connectivity to drives 0 through 5 and a separate connectivity to drives 6 through 11.
- Refer to RAID Card for details on supported Operating Systems:
8.7cm (3.43 inches)
48.2cm (18.98 inches)
59.4 (23.39 inches)
28.39 kg (62.6 lb) (maximum configuration)
8.84 kg (19.5 lb) (empty)
- Two fully redundant power supplies; supports DC power
Wattage: AC - 600 W; DC – 700 W
Heat dissipation: AC - 2047BTU/hr; DC - 2388 BTU/hr
Voltage: 100-240 VAC, auto sensing; 48V DC
Frequency: 50/60 Hz
Amperage: 8.6 A at 100 V, 4.3 A at 240 V
Available Drive Power (per slot)
Supported drive power consumption (continuous):
up to 1.16 A at +5V
up to 1.6 A +12V
- 2 Enclosure Management Modules(EMM) provide redundant enclosure management capability
Environmental Operating Conditions
Operating: 10° to 35°C (50° to 95°F) with maximum temp gradation of 10°C per hour
Storage: -40° to 65°C (-40° to 149°F) with temp gradation of 20°C per hour
Supports Fresh Air cooling, up to 35 degrees Celsius
Operating: 8% to 85% (non-condensing) with maximum humidity gradation of 10% per hour
Storage: 5% to 95% (non-condensing)
Operating: -16 to 3048 m (-50 to 10,000 ft)
Storage: -16 to 10,600 m (-50 to 35,000 ft)
Expansion for Mainstream and Capacity-Intensive Single Server ApplicationsDell PowerVault MD1200 is the second generation of Dell’s low-cost, high-capacity expansion enclosure that improves density, versatility and performance over previous generation to enhance support for mainstream and capacity-intensive applications.
The PowerVault MD1200 offers seamless expansion for Dell PowerEdge servers with the PERC H800 Host-RAID adapter. It also offers drive flexibility when adding capacity or data tiering to any of Dell's primary storage arrays.
Easily Expand Your Server Capacity: The PowerVault MD1200 is engineered to seamlessly expand the capacity of Dell PowerEdge servers. This expansion enclosure can support twelve, 3.5- or 2.5-inch SAS hard-disk drives (HDDs) or solid-state drives (SSDs)* in a 2U array and expands up to 8 arrays behind a single PERC H800 Host-RAID adapter.
Versatility and Flexibility to Meet Most Business Needs: The MD1200 is Dell’s most versatile direct-attached storage expansion enclosure. Featuring support for 2.5 inch drives, as well as the ability to mix 2.5-inch* and 3.5-inch enclosures behind a single PERC H800 Host-RAID adapter,the PowerVault MD1200 delivers capacity and performance to support most customer deployments.
Support the Business, No Matter the Need
The PowerVault MD1200 supports most mainstream business requirements with added flexibility and versatility to mix 2.5-inch drives in a 3.5-inch enclosure and mix 2.5- and 3.5-inch enclosures behind a single PERC H800 Host-RAID adapter.
Keeping Your Data Safe
Access and accuracy of your data is key to the success of any business. The PowerVault MD1200 has been engineered to help maximize your uptime and security of your data.
Leveraging the PERC H800 RAID ControllerThe PowerVault MD1200 leverages the PERC H800 Host-RAID adapter with the latest PCI Express 2.0 interface, offering excellent performance for enterprise.
- The configuration of the PERC H800 Host-RAID adapter helps to increase reliability and fault tolerance by enabling the software to recognize the entire enclosure as a single unit, regardless of how many disks are activated for storage. With the PERC H800, customers can choose the RAID option that supports their application. The PERC H800 supports RAID levels 0, 1, 5, 6, 10, 50 and 60.
- Dell PowerVault MD1200 is engineered to work optimally with Dell PowerEdge servers. Dell OpenManage™ Storage Manager Software can manage both the external and internal storage within the server itself.
- Streamlining storage management through a single, common interface helps reduce resource load on the system, and is easier to navigate for the user as well. The PowerVault MD1200 utilizes the same 2.5-inch and 3.5-inch drives as Dell's PowerEdge servers, and the same power supplies and fans as the PowerVault MD1220, helping to reduce the number of spares required.
- The PowerVault MD1220 is supported behind most PowerEdge servers: See PERC H800 server compatibility matrix for a list of currently supported servers.
Global Services and SupportDell offers a wide range of professional services to simplify the assessment, design, implementation, management and maintenance of your IT environment to help you transition from platform to platform.
Dell Enterprise Deployment Services
Dell’s end-to-end deployment services ensure your Dell Server installation, configuration and implementation is completed accurately and quickly—anytime, anywhere—with proven processes based on best practices acquired from thousands of deployments by our highly skilled experts.
Dell Support Services
Dell ProSupport offers a suite of support services that enable you to choose support models based on how you use technology and where you want to allocate resources. We recommend Dell ProSupport Plus with SupportAssist for mission-critical systems or Dell ProSupport for premium hardware and software support for your PowerEdge solution. For hyper-scale data centers, we also offer ProSupport Flex for Data Center.
Dell Education Services aims to complement your relationship with Dell as a trusted partner by offering Education Services for our own products, for industry leading infrastructure solutions and for the ongoing development of your organization. It is a global organization with local representation, classrooms and web-based training available worldwide.
Contact your Dell representative today for more information or click here.