The PowerConnect B-RX8 is a Layer 2/3 highly available switch that scales cost effectively from the enterprise edge to the core.
- Versatile switch for enterprise datacenters, virtualized environments
- Built for Data Center efficiency
- High availability with hitless failover and upgrades
The PowerConnect B-RX8 is a Layer 2/3 highly available switch, that scales cost effectively from the enterprise edge to the core.
Modular Layer 2/3 Ethernet Switch
Emerging needs such as application convergence, non-stop operation, scalability and IPv6- readiness place new demands on the network. Modern network solutions must be assessed across a wider set of attributes than earlier generation equipment. In particular, the network must be evaluated on merits that include performance, reliability, scalability, quality of service, security and total cost of ownership (TCO).
The PowerConnect B-RX8 Layer 2/3 Ethernet switch excels in all of these areas, enabling network designers to deploy an Ethernet infrastructure that addresses today’s requirements with a scalable architecture designed to support network growth and evolution. The PowerConnect B-RX8 incorporates the latest advances in switch architecture, system resilience, quality of service and switch security in a family of modular chassis setting leading industry benchmarks for price-performance, scalability and TCO.
High Availability Architecture
Redundant and resilient design ensures high availability operation for demanding environments. This includes a Management Module that is systems configured with dual management modules with sub detection and fail-over, as well as Switch Fabric Elelment Redundancy and Hitless Management Failover. In addition, the chassis supports M+N power (M = Number of supplies needed for fully loaded system and N = 1 to M supply redundancy) module redundancy for AC and DC power configurations.
Advanced Capabilities in the Datacenter
Industry-Leading Layer 2 Features
To provide self-healing topologies in Layer 2 configurations, the PowerConnect B-RX8 supports industry standard Ethernet protocols including Spanning Tree Protocol (STP), Rapid Spanning Tree (RSTP), per VLAN STP (PVST) and per VLAN group STP (PVGST). It also supports Brocade Metro Ring Protocol (MRP) for sub-second service restoration in ring topologies. Additionally, it supports multi-instance spanning tree, VLAN topology grouping and VLAN tunneling for advanced Layer 2 service configurations.
Robust Layer 3 Feature Set
With Brocade IronWare™ software suite brought to you by Dell™ , the switch includes scalable EGP and IGP routing protocols such as BGPv4, OSFP, IS-IS, Direct Routing, Policy-Based Routing, and a Comprehensive Multicast Feature Set. In addition, the PowerConnect B-RX8 includes VRRP and VRRPE, enabling the switch to operate as a backup router to other network routers. In the event of a router failure, the PowerConnect B-RX will automatically and seamlessness perform the tasks of the failed router.
Advanced Quality of Service
The PowerConnect B-RX8 Allows administrators to enforce QoS policies based on port, VLAN, source MAC, ACL rules, 802.1p priority, Type of Service (ToS), DiffServ settings or Rate Limiting status
- Very Low Latency Across all Packet Sizes: Consistent low latency for strict priority applications such as voice over IP, high performance computing and video over IP
- Configurable Combinations of Queuing Disciplines and Congestion Control Policies: Combinations of Strict Priority (SP) and Weighted Fair Queuing (WFQ) provide flexibility for network administrators. In the event of egress port congestion, traffic policies can be configured for tail drop or weighted random early detection (WRED) operation.
- Advanced Bandwidth Management: Allows intelligent bandwidth management using hardware based enforcement of Committed Information Rate (CIR) with Excess Burst control capabilities and seamless integration with other advanced QoS features including priority marking and honoring.
Wire-speed Extended Layer 2, Layer 3 and 4 Access Control Lists (ACL) control packet forwarding and restrict access to the system management interface, while providing wire-speed switching and routing:
- Extensible ACL Implementation for Layer 3 and 4 Information: Identifies traffic based on source or destination IP address, IP protocol type, TCP or UDP port, IP precedence or ToS values
- Flexible ACL Implementation for Layer 2 Information: Identifies traffic based on source or destination MAC address, Ethernet type, VLAN-ID values and 802.1p values
- ACL Scalability: Support for up to 8,000 ACLs
- Ease of Administration: Identify an ACL by name or number, or add a comment line for ease of administration
- Secure Shell and Secure Copy: Provides secure access to the administration and management interface over the network
Dell Global Services can deliver what is needed to help ensure that your IT investment is optimized.
Supporting Your Unique Environment
The right support is not one-size-fits-all, so Dell ProSupport provides a flexible, reliable and easy support model – empowering you to customize services to meet your unique business needs. For example, organizations with an IT team can take advantage of Dell ProSupport for IT. You get the tech-to-tech support you need, and the ability to bypass phone-based trouble shooting when you already know the problem with Fast-Track Dispatch.
Dell ProSupport options give you the opportunity to directly align support to address critical challenges – like maximizing the uptime of your server and storage infrastructure. With the right options, the Dell ProSupport Mission Critical option is designed to help you reduce critical downtime by as much as 48%*. Dell is recognized as a leader in the industry for mission critical support – and is the 2005 and 2007 winner of the highly coveted SSPA Award for Mission Critical Support. Further maximize the availability and stability of your infrastructure through Dell ProSupport Proactive Maintenance with scheduled assessments, streamlined patch management and detailed reporting.
Additionally, Dell ProSupport Remote Advisory options can provide telephone access to technical expertise on applications and solutions such as Microsoft Exchange, Virtualization and more.
To learn more about Dell ProSupport visit www.dell.com/prosupport.
Strengthening Your IT Infrastructure
Dell Infrastructure Consulting can help integrate your new enterprise hardware into an existing or evolving IT infrastructure. We can provide guidance whether you’re adding single or multiple servers, a storage area network or virtualizing your environment.
We can also help you enhance the overall performance of your IT infrastructure and data center by consolidating software and hardware, reviewing data usage to optimize the environment, developing a business continuity plan and by helping you migrate to standards-based technologies.
Dell helps simplify implementation with deployment services that speed time to production of new hardware and IT solutions. During the initial system-build of your server, we can customize software and hardware to match your specific requirements. By helping you rapidly deploy new capabilities while minimizing disruptions, we can contribute to improved efficiencies and lower costs.
Empowering Your Team
Our education services provide training and certification courses to help you and your team better manage and use your new hardware so you can reap the full benefits of standards-based technologies.
Get the most from your new systems. Turn to Dell for the services you need to help Get IT Faster, Run IT Better and Grow IT Smarter.
For more information, please visit www.dell.com/services.