Help me choose: Optical drives
|The optical drive on your Dell system can allow you to watch DVDs, play video games, and back up your data and images by burning them to CD, DVD or blu-ray discs. You should choose between CD, DVD and blu-ray disc drive formats based upon your capacity requirements. If you’re looking for more storage capacity than CDs or single-layer DVDs can provide, you can try a DVD drive compatible with double-layer (DL) DVD discs, which offer up to 8.5GB of storage. Higher capacities are supported on blu-ray drives, available on select Dell Inspiron, XPS, and Alienware desktop and laptop systems.|
The higher an optical drive’s speed, measured in multiples of a standard "base speed," the faster the drive’s ability to write data to disc (for instance, a 16x drive is faster than an 8x drive). This increased write speed allows you to create CDs and DVDs more quickly, the higher the multiple.
All optical DVD drive options currently available are fully backward compatible with all previous technologies and commonly used disc formats so there’s no need to worry — your old CD-ROMs or DVDs will run properly in your new system, regardless of what DVD drive option you select. Blu-ray disc drives may be backward-compatible, but newer blu-ray drives may not (consult product details to determine compatibility). Additionally, all available drive options support dual-layer discs.
- Combo drives are drives that can read both Blu-ray discs and regular DVDs, as well as CDs. Combo drives cannot write to or erase Blu-ray discs.
- RE drives are drives that can both read and erase data and media, including blu-ray discs.
- RW drives are drives that can both read and write data and media onto DVD (not blu-ray disc).
Dual optical drives
On select desktops, dual optical drives are an option.
- Copy CDs and DVDs more easily, as both drives can operate at once: one to play the disc’s content and the other to record it.
- Move music and media onto your system more quickly, with both drives performing separate installs simultaneously.
|If you want to ...||Choose...|
|Burn DVDs||DVD+/-RW, BD Combo or BD-RE|
|Burn CDs||DVD+/-RW, BD Combo or BD-RE|
|Play DVDs||DVD+/-RW, DVD-ROM, BD Combo or BD-RE|
|Load software from DVD||DVD+/-RW, DVD-ROM, BD Combo or BD-RE|
|Load software from CD||DVD+/-RW, DVD-ROM, BD Combo or BD-RE|
|Enjoy superb storage capacity and high-definition viewing pleasure||BD Combo or BD-RE|