Help Me Choose: LCDs
Select Dell™ Latitude laptops introduce true high-definition (HD) resolution on 16:9 aspect ratio displays. The new aspect ratio is optimal for viewing HD content.
Expect Higher Quality with Dell Premium LCDs
The image on your Dell Latitude laptop’s display is made of tiny dots called pixels. Dell Latitude systems with UltraSharp displays come with Premium Panel Guarantee and are premium within the industry because they are guaranteed during the term of the Limited Hardware Warranty* to have zero pixels stuck in the "on" position — a factor that results in a bright dot on the display.
See More With Dell UltraSharp LCDs
Dell offers UltraSharp LCDs on select Latitude laptops. The UltraSharp LCDs have higher resolution than traditional displays, and with higher resolution, you will have more pixels on your LCD panel — for example, an HD+ resolution will have 1,600 horizontal pixels on 900 lines, while a full HD (FHD) display has 1,920 horizontal pixels on 1,080 lines. Dell UltraSharp LCDs can provide a better overall viewing experience and increase the amount of viewable content for a number of business-related tasks, including:
- Simultaneously working with multiple open applications on your desktop
- Working on large spreadsheets with multiple rows and columns of content
- Working with resolution-intensive digital content creation or data visualization applications
- Having crisp reproduction of images and video
Dell Latitude laptops offer a range of LCD resolution options up to and including FHD, which is designed to deliver enough resolution for HDTV. All Latitude LCD options are described by display standard abbreviations such as widescreen HD, HD+ and FHD. Click the "Compare Side by Side" tab to see the resolutions offered on Latitude laptops.
Experience More With Enhanced Display Options
Overall, the quality of the image on your Latitude laptop’s display depends on several factors, including resolution, brightness, contrast ratio, color gamut and viewing angle. Check the key definitions below to learn more about the various attributes and metrics of an LCD screen.
- Size: Notebook screens are measured diagonally from the corners; this usually does not include the bezel, as with many desktop monitors.
- Resolution: The physical number of columns and rows of pixels creating the display. For example, a 1280 x 800 display has 1,280 horizontal pixels on 800 lines. The more pixels you have, the higher the resolution, which means that more can be displayed on the screen.
- Brightness: The amount of light emitted from the display. This is also known as luminance and is measured in nits or candela per square meter. A Dell laptop display brightness emits from 200 nit up to 730 nit.
- Other attributes:
- Anti-glare (AG): A matte finish that diffuses light, resulting in no reflection and narrower viewing angles. Anti-glare technology is designed to reduce the intensity of reflected light from the surrounding environment, making it ideal for typical office settings, as well as for the varying lighting conditions in environments, such as customer sites, airports and other public spaces.
- Truelife: A Truelife display has a glossy appearance that amplifies the contrast ratio of the panel. Truelife technology delivers darker blacks and colors that pop for vivid graphics and lifelike video. It is ideal for home, gaming or video use.
- UltraSharp: UltraSharp panels are those panels that have a pixels per inch (ppi) of 120 or higher.
- Contrast Ratio: The ratio of the intensity of the brightest bright to the darkest dark.
- Viewing Angle: The maximum angle at which a display can be viewed with acceptable visual performance. A standard viewing angle offers 80º horizontally and 45º vertically, while wide viewing angles offer 110º horizontally and 90º vertically. Some panels with superwide viewing angles offer 178º horizontally and vertically.
- Backlight: The form of illumination used in an LCD display. Currently, CCFL, 2CCFL, WLED and RGB LED are backlights used in Dell laptops. Backlights help determine the brightness and color gamut of the notebook.
- Color Gamut: How many types of colors are supported or a certain complete subset of colors. On a standard WLED panel, 45 percent is typical.
|If you want ...||Choose ...|
|To display multiple open applications simultaneously, work productively with large images or make the best use of resolution-intensive applications such as digital content creation or data visualization||A high-resolution panel such as FHD (1920 x 1080)|
|To allow multiple people to collaborate around one laptop or share a presentation with one or two other people||A panel with a wide viewing angle|
|To work extensively with a large range of colors or graphics||A panel with a high-color gamut|
|To work outdoors on your notebook||An outdoor-viewable display with high brightness|
|Model||Description||Size||Resolution||Pixels||Brightness (nit, typical)||Viewing Angle||Contrast Ratio (typical)||Color Gamut||Backlight|
|E6540||15.6" Anti-Glare LCD display With LED backlight||15.6"||FHD||1920x1080||300 nits||Wide||500:1||45%||WLED|
|E6540||15.6" HD Anti-Glare LED Display||15.6"||HD||1366x768||200 nits||Std||300:1||60%||WLED|
|Latitude 12 7000 Series||12.5” HD Anti-Glare LED-backlit||12.5"||HD||1366x768||200 nits||Std||300:1||60%||WLED|
|Latitude 12 7000 Series||12.5” FHD Touch||12.5"||FHD||1920x1080||300 nits||Wide||500:1||45%||WLED|
|Latitude 14 7000 Series||14.0” HD Anti-Glare LED-backlit||14.0"||HD||1366x768||200 nits||Std||300:1||60%||WLED|
|Latitude 14 7000 Series||14.0” FHD Anti-Glare LED-backlit||14.0"||FHD||1920x1080||300 nits||Wide||500:1||45%||WLED|
|Latitude 14 7000 Series||14.0” FHD Touch||14.0"||FHD||1920x1080||300 nits||Wide||500:1||45%||WLED|
|Latitude 15 5000 Series||15.6” HD Anti-Glare LED-backlit||15.6”||HD||1366x768||200 nits||Std||300:01:00||45%||WLED|
|Latitude 15 5000 Series||15.6" FHD Anti-Glare LED-backlit||15.6"||FHD||1920x1080||300 nits||Wide||500:01:00||60%||WLED|
|Latitude 14 5000 Series||14.0” HD Anti-Glare LED-backlit||14.0"||HD||1366x768||200 nits||Std||400:01:00||45%||WLED|
|Latitude 14 5000 Series||14.0” HD+ Anti-Glare LED-backlit||14.0"||HD+||1600x900||300 nits||Std||400:01:00||45%||WLED|