Help Me Choose: Operating Systems
- Every PC must have an operating system to run other programs.
- Operating systems perform basic tasks such as recognizing input from the keyboard, sending output to the monitor, keeping track of files and directories on the hard disk, and controlling devices such as optical drives and printers.
- Operating systems also manage how your computer accesses available networks.
- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
- Windows 10 downgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
- Windows 10 downgrade to Windows 8.1 64-Bit
- Windows 10 downgrade to Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit
- Windows 10 downgrade to Windows 7 Professional 32-Bit
*Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 operating systems not supported on *7th Generation Intel® Core™ processors.
- Ubuntu 12.04 Linux * Not available for OptiPlex XX50
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS * Not available for OptiPlex XX50
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
• Fingerprint reader driver not supported with Linux OS
In addition to the core features of Windows 8.1, Windows 10 offers exciting new features such as your own digital assistant, and free cloud storage.
To learn more about the features and editions of Windows 10, 8.1, Windows 7, use the tabs below.
|Why choose Windows 10:||Features:|
|Familiar and productive user experience|
Users will love it. With Windows 10 your apps and content adapt to display beautifully in all modes, on all devices and even as you transition from one to another, so you stay productive.
|A familiar user experience that adapts to your device.|
|Light-touch management that scales|
Windows 10 makes it easier to manage PCs, devices, and applications with features such as single-sign-on, identity management and mobile device management.
|Choose management solutions that work best for you.|
The last few years have seen a revolution in security threats. Windows 10 goes beyond just building bigger walls and delivers entirely new ways to help protect identities, data, and devices.
|Hardware based security for better malware protection.|
|Range of innovative devices|
Windows 10 is designed to work with a range of devices you already own, and light up the features of new devices ‒ from 2-in-1s, to devices that hang on the wall, to new holographic interfaces. Windows 10 opens up new ways to create, learn, collaborate, and visualize.
|Latest Windows innovations on the devices you already own.|
• To enable downgrade to Windows 7 on this system the BIOS settings on this system were changed to boot into legacy BIOS mode. If the BIOS setting is not changed to native UEFI mode boot prior to installing, Windows 10 Pro Product will install; however, the following Windows 10 Pro Product functionalities will not work as they rely on a native UEFI mode boot: Secure Boot, Seamless Boot experience, Network unlock for Bitlocker for systems with a Trusted Platform Module (TPM), eDrive support
|Choose ...||If you ...||Features*|
|Windows 8.1 Pro||Want all the features in Windows 7 and:|
|Plan to take your personal device (PC, tablet) into a domain-joined environment|
|Have a volume license agreement with Windows|
|Want to encrypt your entire hard drive to help protect you against loss and theft|
|Work in a managed environment|
|Want to back up to network locations, DVD or another drive|
|Choose ...||If you ...||Features*|
|Windows 7 Professional||Want all the features in Windows 7 Home Premium, and:|
— Need Windows 7 Professional today but may want to use Windows 8.1 Pro in the future
— Want to enable your Downgrade Rights* as defined in the Windows 8.1 EULA*. What is it: This offering* is a License of Windows 8.1 Pro, with the installation of Windows 7 Professional. This does not have a license of Windows 7 Professional.
| - Are a small or medium organization looking to work from anywhere||Location-aware printing |
Mobility center with presentation settings
Remote desktop host
| - Are concerned about safeguarding your organization||File system encryption |
1. Some product features may require advanced or additional hardware.
2. Downgrade Rights enable a customer who purchases a Windows 8.1 Pro license to utilize a different operating system in the place of the licensed OS. Specifically at Dell, we are enabling Windows 7 Professional in the place of Windows 8.1 Pro. The PC licensed for Windows 8.1 Pro may only have 1 Operating System installed at a time, so the customer may utilize a Windows 8.1 Pro Operating System or Windows 7 Professional. With this offering we are installing Windows 7 Professional in place of Windows 8.1, but providing the license to Windows 8.1 Pro in the BIOS so that when the customer chooses to upgrade to Windows 8.1, the customer will have a licensed and activated Operating System installed on the PC.
3. The EULA is the End User License Agreement. This is an agreement between the PC Owner and Windows
that enables the PC Owner’s right to use either Windows 7 Professional or Windows 8.1 Pro. (Instructions: Choose Pre-Installed on your computer from the computer manufacturer, Product Name: Windows, Version: 8.1 Pro, Language: your choice)
4. To enable downgrade to Windows 7 on this system the BIOS settings on this system were changed to boot into legacy BIOS mode. If the BIOS setting is not changed to native UEFI mode boot prior to installing, Windows 8.1 Pro [update] Product or Windows 8.1 Pro will install; however, the following Windows 8.1 Pro [update] Product, Windows 8.1 Pro functionalities will not work as they rely on a native UEFI mode boot:
• Secure Boot
• Seamless Boot experience
• Network unlock for Bitlocker for systems with a Trusted Platform Module (TPM)
• eDrive support
Future installation to Windows 10 Pro will require BIOS settings changes and clean installation of Windows 10, an upgrade path is not available.
5. Feature requires access to network running Windows Server 2008 R2.