Dell Revolutionizes BYOD Mobile Worker Productivity and Security with Per-App VPN Access Controls for Any Mobile App
- Dell Secure Mobile Access allows IT administrators to bind VPN traffic between selected mobile apps and corporate data and resources
- Administrators can authorize business critical mobile apps via a per-user, per-device policy, while prohibiting corporate data communications between personal apps
- Any mobile app, secure container or Mobile Device Management solution can be authorized by the administrator without requiring modification, app wrapping, or software development kit tools
- Solution introduces a powerful Mobile Device Policy authorization that enable BYOD users to comply with corporate access and data policy requirements
- Georgia’s Fulton County lowers TCO with Dell VPN solution
Dell today announced the release of an updated Secure Mobile Access solution that provides mobile employees with per-app VPN access to enterprise data and resources, while protecting the corporate network from security threats. By enabling IT to restrict VPN access only to a set of trusted mobile applications, the Dell™ Secure Mobile Access (SMA) solution is designed to manage and secure access to business applications and data, while coexisting with personal applications and respecting personal data privacy.
The Dell SMA solution complements Dell’s recently announced Enterprise Mobility Management solution, which securely manages both devices and containers. Dell SMA enables IT to restrict VPN access to a set of trusted apps and prevent unauthorized apps from accessing VPN resources. This solution protects traffic from interception and keeps in-flight data secure. Both solutions are open systems that work with other VPN and MDM solutions.
The Bring Your Own Device trend and proliferation of both employee-and employer-owned mobile devices in the workplace has resulted in a mandate for IT to enable secure mobile access to corporate data and resources. While the potential for security breaches and the introduction of malware into the network can result from any type of mobile access, the risk intensifies with the co-mingling of business and personal data and applications when employees use personal devices for work. Previously, safeguarding mobile device access to corporate data and resources, as well as protecting in-flight data and data at rest on the device – while not altering personal data – has required IT to use proprietary mobile applications, custom application development, and complex multi-box solutions from multiple vendors to support desktop virtualization and container applications, adding significantly to complexity and the total cost of ownership. The Dell Secure Mobile Access solution helps organizations realize a Connected Security strategy by providing per-app VPN and a single-vendor capability for managing delivery and access levels to specific data and applications from any location, with personal devices.
Fine Tune Access and Delivery, Maximize Productivity and Reduce Business Risk
The Secure Mobile Access solution combines a Dell SonicWALL E-Class Secure Remote Access Appliance (SRA) powered by the new Secure Mobile Access Operating System 11.0, with the Dell SonicWALL Mobile Connect 3.1 mobile application, to enable IT to easily provision secure mobile access and role-based privileges for both managed and unmanaged devices for tens of thousands of users. Eliminating the need to offer all users access to all applications, the solution allows administrators to configure a set of mobile applications they trust, and Mobile Connect intelligently restricts VPN access only to the trusted applications. An encrypted single sign-on VPN connection to the SRA appliance binds the VPN tunnel directly to the approved application . In addition to restricting VPN access to the trusted set of mobile applications, the Secure Mobile Access solution:
- Allows only registered mobile applications to access the VPN, while blocking personal applications that might propagate mobile malware threats and waste corporate bandwidth, to keep users productive
- Stays mobile application and secure container agnostic, requiring no modification, application wrapping or software development kit (SDK) tools, to speed deployment time and reduce implementation cost and complexity
- Reduces business risk by enforcing user compliance to personal device authorization policy, and managing and reporting end-user acceptance of BYOD policy terms
- The administrator can customize terms of the policy based on communities, and the Secure Mobile Access solution records devices registered to users, as well as the time of registration for tracking and audit purposes
The solution also provides context-aware authentication that ensures only authenticated users and trusted devices are allowed access. Based on the user ID and device posture the SMA OS 11.0 can increase or decrease the user’s level of access to resources from a specific device. Policy-enforced network access controls connect the user to only permitted corporate data and resources.
New Solution Supports Existing Dell Security Solutions
The new Dell Secure Mobile Access solution is also a key ingredient in the following Dell solutions:
- Enterprise Mobility Management solution – for a complete end-to-end mobility solution, Secure Mobile Access integrates with the Dell Enterprise Mobile Management solution, including its Mobile Workspace container technology, to enable efficient delivery of the user’s applications and data in a secure and trusted way. For organizations using third party mobility solutions, the Dell Secure Mobile Access solution is container agnostic, so it can easily and quickly be integrated into any environment.
- Secure Networking solution – when deployed with a Dell SonicWALL Next-Generation Firewall, Mobile Connect 3.1 establishes a Clean VPN, an extra layer of protection that decrypts and removes hidden threats from mobile traffic tunneled over SSL VPN before they enter the network.
Fulton County Government Adds Disaster Recovery with Dell Secure Remote Access
With almost 1 million residents, Fulton County is the most populous county in the state of Georgia, and the principal county of the Atlanta metropolitan area. The county has 5,800 employees, including approximately 140 IT staff members, and many of its 42 departments – such as the police, fire, and health departments – require unique specialized applications.
Looking for a solution that could provide comprehensive endpoint controls, as well as secure web portal access that would eliminate the need to deploy and manage fat clients at remote endpoints, Fulton County deployed the Dell SonicWALL E-Class SRA EX7000, an earlier generation of Dell Secure Mobile Access, that is a clientless SSL VPN solution delivering secure, easy-to-manage remote access control to enterprises that support hundreds or thousands of internal and external users, and need to maintain anytime access to critical applications.
With the Dell solution, Fulton County was immediately able to provide its Windows 7 users with 64-bit secure remote access, and has seen a direct impact on total cost of ownership. After using the solution to keep county departments operational during a crippling snowstorm, Fulton County plans to extend its disaster recovery strategy by using secure remote access to support all systems in production.
- The product will be demonstrated at Interop, Las Vegas, March 31-April 4, and a beta version will be released in April. It will be available for sale/download worldwide mid-year
- Dell solutions are available through the channel and Dell Direct Sales.
Patrick Sweeney, executive director, Network Security, Dell
“The Secure Mobile Access solution and the Dell Enterprise Mobility Manager present evidence that Dell recognizes the challenges our customers face, and has responded with the right innovative, scalable solutions required to solve mobility and BYOD issues. We are not tackling a small piece of the problem. With our comprehensive lifecycle approach connecting security across data, infrastructure and applications, we are providing the complete set of solutions required in the market.”
Jay Terrell, chief technology officer, Fulton County, Ga.
“In Fulton County, we needed to embrace mobility to keep our thousands of public service professionals not only productive, but safe. They needed the ability to reach critical applications remotely from the field, but we had to maintain the highest level of security for those connections and access. If we hadn’t deployed the Dell SonicWALL EX7000 – particularly prior to a huge snowstorm – critical county departments would have been shut down. The solution provided lower TCO with greater ease of use and disaster preparedness. Now, with more workers requesting access to our network from personal devices, we see the critical need to provide access to only trusted applications, and to ensure that we protect the county from legal risk. We can trust Dell to offer the roadmap to secure mobility, with greater productivity at the high level of security we demand.”
Dell Connected Security
Dell’s Connected Security vision and portfolio of solutions give customers the power to solve their biggest security and compliance challenges today from device to datacenter to cloud in a connected and contextual way. With this set of powerful and Connected Security solutions, Dell’s customers can mitigate risks, and, as a result, accelerate their results.
Dell Inc. listens to customers and delivers innovative technology and services that give them the power to do more. For more information, visit www.dell.com.
Dell is a trademark of Dell Inc. Dell disclaims any proprietary interest in the marks and names of others.