At age 19, Michael Dell founded PC's Limited with $1,000 and a game-changing vision for how technology should be designed, manufactured and sold.
- As a pre-med freshman at the University of Texas at Austin, Michael starts Dell, then doing business as PC's Limited.
- He left his dorm room at the end of his freshman year to devote all of his time to growing the business.
- We design and build our first computer system, the Turbo PC, featuring an Intel® 8088 processor running at 8MHz, a 10MB hard drive and a 5.25" floppy drive.
- We establish customer experience as a Dell differentiator with risk-free returns and next-day, at-home product assistance, among the first in our industry.
- We unveil the industry's fastest performing PC — a 12MHz, 286-based system — at the Spring Comdex trade show.
- We open our first international subsidiary in the United Kingdom.