Dell PowerEdge R720xd Scalability for SQL Server 2008 R2 Databases
To simplify Microsoft® SQL Server® database deployments — popular for online transaction processing (OLTP)-based applications — Dell offers the 12th-generation PowerEdge™ R720xd server, a two-socket two-rack unit server. Supported by Intel® Xeon® processors, the PowerEdge R720xd server offers huge processing power, greater memory, massive high-performance internal storage and optimizations in numerous areas to improve data center efficiency. It is designed to:
- Provide a single platform for OLTP workloads
- Deliver superior performance while cutting power costs and improving integrated graphic performance
- Support up to 12 dual in-line memory modules (DIMMs) per processor and 24 DIMMs in a dual-processor configuration
- Help you scale up from single-socket to dual-socket configuration by increasing the number of disks
- Support enough PCI Express (PCIe) slots for network cards or host bus adapters (HBAs) to connect to external storage
- Provide a platform for other business applications using Microsoft Exchange, Hyper-V™ and VMware® hypervisors
Learn how scaling up the processing power and storage capacity of Dell PowerEdge R720xd servers can accommodate the demands of online transaction processing based on Microsoft SQL Server database deployments. Compare performance results of half-populated and fully populated server configurations to discover the effect of increasing the storage capacity of PowerEdge R720xd servers. Similarly, compare performance results of single- and dual-socket processor systems to discover the effect of increasing the processing power of the server. Review the server architecture, OLTP testing tool, and server hardware and software configurations used for testing.
Results suggest that the PowerEdge R720xd server is well suited for deployments of the Microsoft SQL Server high-performance database for small to medium enterprises. Using the PowerEdge R720xd for a single Microsoft SQL Server database deployment can:
- Enable you to start with a minimal configuration and scale up as needed by adding more memory, disk drives and additional processors
- Improve overall database performance with powerful processors, flexible memory configurations and large configurable internal storage
To achieve high availability of the databases, Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 offers various native high availability (HA) and disaster recovery (DR) features. It provides high availability for the databases with automatic failure detection and failover, as well as zero work loss using minimal resources and licensing costs.