Procurement standards, eco-labels
|Eco-labels and procurement tools help customers understand various attributes of products |
and the companies that make them. Dell is one of the most engaged manufacturers in the various industry programs. Please check the product environmental data sheets to see which specific labels or standards a specific product qualifies for. A few examples of the programs we participate in include:
|ENERGY STAR – The mark for energy efficiency|
Dell stood with the US EPA and Department of Energy when they launched the ENERGY STAR rating system to highlight energy-efficient products back in the early 1990s. The mark is globally recognized and has become a standard within various procurement tools. Products are qualified by meeting or beating energy efficiency standards set by the EPA (generally, when 50% or more of products in a category are meeting that standard, they will revise). We have a goal to reduce the energy intensity of our entire product portfolio an average of 80% by 2020. The list of products Dell and Dell EMC have qualified to ENERGY STAR is constantly changing, but approximately 90% of our portfolio qualifies – and most of the other 10% either didn’t use electricity or is in a category not covered by ENERGY STAR.
|EPEAT – A guide to sustainable technology|
Managed by the Green Electronics Council since 2006, EPEAT is a registry that evaluates electronics for their effect on the environment. It takes a lifecycle view and ranks products as Gold, Silver or Bronze based on criteria in more than 50 categories drawn from the IEEE 1680 standards. This includes things like the reduction/elimination of environmentally sensitive materials, use of environmentally preferable materials, design for end of life, repair/reuse, energy conservation, the type of packaging, and even the corporate performance of its maker. We have many Dell and Dell EMC products registered in multiple categories in multiple countries.
|TCO Certified – Environmental, social and economic considerations|
TCO Certified is a third-party certification that requires independent, accredited certification around a broad criteria, including requirements for socially responsible manufacturing, environmental issues, and health and safety throughout the product lifecycle. While most predominant in the Nordic countries, TCO Certified is a global mark and Dell proudly provides dozens of certified monitors, laptops and desktops.
|80 PLUS – Plug Power Efficiency|
Most electronics use some kind of power supply that converts the a/c power from the mains to usable d/c power. The conversion process is not perfect and typically some power is lost to heat (resistance). The 80 Plus qualification identifies those power supplies that can achieve at least an 80% efficiency at three specific loads of work. This means that 80% of the power is used by the computing and the other 20% is lost. Dell has long been a leader in efficient power supplies and was the first company to achieve an 80 PLUS-Titanium power supply (2012) in which up to 96% of the power drawn is used for computing. Many Dell EMC products feature higher-level 80 PLUS power supplies.
|China Environmental Label (CEC) – environmental protection |
Created to promote green products and lead to more sustainable consumption, CEC certification looks across the whole lifecycle of a product to evaluate its environmental impact. It additionally takes into consideration worker health, resource consumption and the use of renewable energy. By design, only about 30% of companies meet the labels criteria. It has also become a standard for procurement.
|Always consult the specific mark’s web site for the most current listing of Dell and Dell EMC products.|