Dell High-performance Computing NFS Storage Solutions (NSS)
In an HPC environment, compute nodes typically require a common file system for applications and tools.
To meet this need, we developed the unique Dell™ High-performance Computing (HPC) Network File System (NFS) Storage Solution (NSS). It’s a simple, robust application designed to create an optimum combination for performance, availability, system resiliency and data reliability. We deliver your NSS system fully configured as a ready-to-go storage solution complete with hardware, software and professional support from Dell.
When should you consider Dell HPC NSS storage solutions?
Our solutions provide reliable and flexible options for HPC applications around the world — for research, gaming, university education, science and engineering applications, and more. HPC NSS storage solutions can also add value for purposes such as the following:
- For clusters with 4–64 nodes: great scratch storage to run applications, and primary storage for data and user/home directories
- For larger HPC clusters: primary storage for user/home directories, as well as application input data and results
- For functions that require up to 360TB of raw capacity in a single name space, and up to 576TB with two namespaces (576TB available only on NSS4)
- For general-purpose, high-performance Linux-based file server
We developed Dell HPC NSS with your HPC needs in mind
Get the best possible performance, reliability and optimization with features such as the following:
- Dell-developed best practices and configurations: Our best practices have achieved up to 30 percent better throughput compared to nonoptimized solutions. You can get this solution and best practices in our recommended configurations.
- Choice of connectivity: either FDR InfiniBand or 10 Gbps Ethernet
- A modular approach for higher scalability: Using standards-based Dell PowerEdge and PowerVault products, and Red Hat® Scalable File System (XFS), our HPC NFS storage solution offers you a modular approach to storage design that scales up to 360TB within a single namespace.
- Increased availability: Highly available configurations enhance access to your data. We developed them by extensively testing and tuning hardware and software for the best combination of system availability, data reliability and overall performance.
NSS 4.5 (Dense Solution)
|High-availability Configurations||Non–high-availability Configurations||High-availability Configurations|
|Capacity|| 180TB and 360TB||36TB and 72TB||72TB, 144TB and 288TB¹|
|Connectivity|| FDR InfiniBand or 10 Gbps Ethernet||FDR InfiniBand or 10 Gbps Ethernet||FDR InfiniBand or 10 Gbps Ethernet|
- Superior customer support: Our experienced customer support professionals fully support all hardware and software components of the solution. Even the standard solution includes a three-year service and support contract.
- Dell Configuration and Deployment Services: We can install and configure your new data center systems to help you save money, minimize disruption and optimize performance.
The building blocks of Dell NSS Solution
Our solution is based on building blocks such as the following:
- NFS Gateway Server —
- Dell PowerEdge R620 server running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.3 operating system, with Red Hat's XFS and Red Hat Cluster Suite (only in high-availability configurations), provides file access to user data.
- Storage —
- Dell PowerVault MD Storage provides shared RAID storage for the two PowerEdge R620 NFS gateway servers in the high-availability configurations:
- PowerVault MD3260 storage array, a new 4U 60 drive enclosure used along with MD3060e expansion enclosure for large, dense solutions
- PowerVault MD3200 storage array used along with MD1200 expansion enclosure for small to medium sized Solutions
How to Order —
Contact your Dell sales representative to discuss which offering best fits your needs. You can order any of the preconfigured solutions, or we can customize a solution for you.
¹Capacities greater than 288TB are available, please contact your Dell sales representative for more details.
Other configurations are also possible; please contact your Dell sales representative for more details.