In today’s connected world, employees ― from interns to executives ― want to use their personal smartphones, tablets and laptops at work, and many of them already do.
Bring your own device (BYOD) describes the trend in which employees use their personal devices on the job. BYOD disrupts the traditional model in which IT had full control over corporate productivity tools. But it can also drive greater employee productivity without increasing hardware costs — particularly for temporary employees.
This trend, called BYOD can pay off for your business, adding as many as 460 productivity hours a year for each mobile employee. But, first you have to address BYOD security and management challenges. Ignoring BYOD is not a viable option.
Create new opportunities with BYOD
With the right plan and policies, you can create a positive user experience, boost both employee and IT productivity and protect your intellectual capital:
- Ensure anytime, anyplace, any-device access to corporate resources
- Shift capital expenses (CAPEX) to operating expenses (OPEX)
- Keep employee and company data separate to protect employee privacy as well as your data
- Automate mobile device and laptop management
- Eliminate daily and/or duplicate IT tasks
- Modernize your applications and IT infrastructure
- Secure your data from the device, across the network and in your data center
You don’t have to jump through hoops to manage BYOD with Dell solutions. Get the expertise and IT support you need — regardless of your BYOD requirements. You can integrate corporate-managed, choose-your-own or bring-your-own devices with your existing infrastructure quickly, easily and securely with end-to-end Dell Mobility Solutions.
Solution Set 1: Mobile Enablement
Enable access to business data and applications from all your mobile devices. Manage your endpoints and your containers; secure email, calendaring and contacts; provide application access from any device; and keep employee and company data separate.
The Mobile Enablement Solution Set includes:
- Enterprise workspace, network access, management and application enablement: Dell Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM)
- Services and support: Client Mobility and BYOD Consulting, Member Purchase Program
Solution Set 2: Infrastructure and Security
Extend workload capacity and optimize your infrastructure to support mobile devices. Rethink your IT strategy. Enable secure access to data and applications from remote personal devices across your enterprise infrastructure.
The Infrastructure and Security Solution Set includes:
- Enterprise workspace: Dell Data Protection | Encryption
- Network access: Dell SonicWALL (Secure Remote Access, Mobile Connect, Next-Gen Firewall and Wireless) and Dell Networking W-Series (Wireless and ClearPass)
- Application enablement: Dell One Identity Manager
Solution Set 3: Application Modernization and Development
Expand application access from mobile devices and improve the user experience. Improve productivity by including more devices and applications in your mobility strategy. You can get custom and legacy applications (for a variety screen sizes and operating systems) up and running on mobile devices ― fast.
The Application and Development Solution Set includes Application Development Services and Dell Desktop Virtualization Solutions
People are devoted to their personal devices. Employees, from interns to executives, want to use their personal smartphones, tablets and laptops at work — and many already do, whether you give them permission or not. Do you have a plan for BYOD (bring your own device)?
You can embrace BYOD and offer device choice to your workforce ― without exposing your company to unnecessary risk ― if you take a proactive approach:
- Start by mapping user tasks to roles that are defined by what your employees do, such as sales rep, call center operator, software developer. Then determine:
- What level of access each role needs.
- Which applications you need to support each role.
- Create policies that enable you to tell who is on the network and what they are trying to do.
- Keep business and employee data separate from the beginning. Use a containerized approach.
- Encrypt the data on endpoints, disks and other media.
- Inventory your applications. Determine if your client environment meets compliance regulations.
- Once you know what your application stack looks like, secure your data with a multilayered approach that covers the device, network and data center.
- Choose management solutions that support all kinds of devices (smartphones, tablets, cloud clients, laptops and desktops) to ensure the most flexibility.
- Centralize image management to accelerate provisioning and increase uptime.
- Ensure your employees have the bandwidth and network IT they need to support anytime, anyplace access.
- If your solution doesn’t include a secure container, consider deploying desktop virtualization, Software as a Service and/or cloud technologies to simplify management and reduce expenses.
- Take advantage of consulting and support services as well as self-service portals.
Regardless of your organization's size, business demands or IT strategy, we can help you build the mobility/BYOD solutions you need.