Warrington and Halton Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust prepares for spring clean with new archiving solution from Dell and BridgeHead Software
|Share.||Follow.||Join the conversation.|
- Systematic tiering of data ensures crucial patient information is quickly available at the point of care
- Time taken to securely back-up data is expected to be cut from 52 hours to 12hours, reducing disruption to clinical workflows
- Secure archiving of data helps Trust meet with healthcare data compliance regulations
Warrington and Halton Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (WHHFT) is partnering with Dell and BridgeHead Software to introduce an archiving solution that will improve the sharing of crucial medical data such as imaging and patient history in an efficient and cost-effective way.
With rising volumes of digitised patient data, the increased amount of information now available to clinicians is helping to provide a more holistic view of a patient’s medical history. To ensure that this information is available at the point of care, and to tackle the huge data growth and associated costs, the Trust needed to rethink its storage and archiving strategy with four key business drivers in mind:
- New specialist patient care systems had been purchased that required large amounts of data storage. Files included pictures and videos and contained Personal Identifiable Data (PID) which has to be stored in a secure environment. Ensuring this data is accessible at any time, while maintaining stringent security protocols, was a priority for the Trust to streamline clinical workflow and support the delivery of patient care
- Data compliance regulations mandate the Trust to store much of its patient data for at least 7 years. This drove a requirement for a tiered storage solution that could allow rarely used data to be hosted on lower cost storage, while regularly accessed, important patient information is stored on a faster, more expensive infrastructure
- Managing staff emails was becoming a struggle as email and file servers were filling up and slowing down. The Trust needed to archive and remove emails and files that were no longer required, allowing staff to benefit from much faster email and improved sharing of information
- Disaster recovery was an issue. The amount of information stored on the existing system demanded weekly back-ups of application, email and file data which took up to 52 hours to complete over the course of a weekend. Disaster recovery is vital for a busy Trust where patient data is crucial to the delivery of care. Loss, whether permanent or temporary, could significantly impact the running of the hospital. By speeding up backups, the Trust will considerably reduce disruption to clinical workflows.
To help overcome all of these challenges, the Trust has introduced the Email and File Archive solution from Dell and BridgeHead Software as phase 1 of its upgrade project. This phase is designed to help manage existing files, emails, SharePoint® sites and data that may be subject to industry or government regulations for access and retention. The system is designed to allow clinicians at the Trust to easily retrieve and share data securely, whenever and wherever they need it, by improving relevant search results with integrated software and retrieval services. The new archiving environment takes advantage of BridgeHead’s Healthcare Data Management (HDM) solution, a proven capability present in over 1,200 hospitals worldwide. It will be easily integrated with the Trust’s existing IT infrastructure that is based on VMware on Dell PowerEdge Servers and Dell EqualLogic Storage at the core to ensure that clinician’s experience minimal disruption. Phase 2 of the project will be the adoption of Dell and BridgeHead Software’s Clinical Archiving Solution; helping the Trust to further share and manage clinical data.
“Storage requirements are continuing to rise as the amount of data that we share increases. With the costs of storage also on the up it is crucial that we act now to ensure that we are able to make cost savings at the same time as provide our users with a system that they trust will securely store data.” Joe Garnett, ICT Systems Manager for Warrington and Halton Foundation NHS Trust. “Through our partnership with Dell and Bridgehead Software we are introducing a Unified Clinical Archiving solution that will help us economically manage the storage of our data and ensure that clinicians and other staff are able to access the information that they need more quickly than before.”
“With cost savings and quality of care at the top of the agenda for all healthcare organisations, it is vital that they make use of solutions that improve the management of existing infrastructure,” Claire Vyvyan, General Manager & Executive Director, Large Institutions, Dell UK. “By investing in a supportive IT infrastructure now, healthcare organisations can ensure they will be able to accomodate future growth and development while offering staff and patients the assurance that sensitive information is stored safely and securely.”
“It’s a pleasure to be working with a hospital like Warrington and Halton who are taking a strategic view of the data across their entire Enterprise,” explains Jim Beagle, President and Chief Executive Officer, BridgeHead Software. “We’re delighted to be part of their chosen solution, alongside Dell, for the long term management of both their clinical and administrative data.”
About Warrington and Halton Hospitals Foundation NHS Trust
Warrington and Halton Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust manages Warrington Hospital and Halton General Hospital in the North West of England. The two hospitals work together to provide high quality, safe health care services across the towns of Warrington, Runcorn (where Halton General Hospital is based), Widnes and the surrounding areas. The trust also provides orthopedic services at the Cheshire and Merseyside Treatment Centre building on the Halton General campus.
The majority of the trust's emergency and complex surgical care is based at Warrington whilst Halton is a centre of excellence for routine surgery. Both hospitals provide a full range of outpatient and diagnostic services. The trust employs over 4,000 staff and has an annual budget of around £205 million.
For more information, visit www.warringtonandhaltonhospitals.nhs.uk
About BridgeHead Software
With 20 years’ experience in data and storage management, and 12 years in healthcare, BridgeHead Software is trusted by over 1,000 hospitals worldwide. Today, BridgeHead Software helps healthcare facilities overcome challenges stemming from rising data volumes and increasing storage costs while delivering peace of mind around how to store, protect and share clinical and administrative information.
BridgeHead’s Healthcare Data Management (HDM) solutions are designed to work with any hospital’s chosen applications and storage hardware, regardless of vendor, providing greater choice, flexibility and control over the way data is managed, now and in the future.
For more information, visit www.bridgeheadsoftware.com or follow on Twitter at @BridgeHeadHDM.
About Dell Healthcare
Dell Inc. (NASDAQ: DELL) listens to customers and delivers worldwide innovative technology and business solutions that give them the power to do more. As the #1 provider worldwide of IT Services for healthcare according to Gartner, Dell healthcare is uniquely positioned to provide the people, processes and technology to transform patient care. Please connect with us on twitter www.twitter.com/dellhealth to share your thoughts, as well as stay up to date on the latest Healthcare IT industry news.