Dell Software Expands Dell One Identity to Govern Privileged Users
- Integration of Dell’s identity governance and privileged management solutions provides a complete offering that governs access for all users, regardless of their role or the level of access they need
- Colt Technology Services uses Dell’s governance solution to unify identity management, streamline governance for all users, improve performance, and lower operational costs
- Dell One Identity now enables organizations to effectively balance the objectives of access, security and compliance
Dell Software today announced the release of a new solution that extends Dell One Identity to govern privileged users who have the most powerful access to an organization’s most critical systems and information. Using Dell’s solution for privileged governance, companies can get ahead of potential security incidents with a single platform to provision, manage and govern access to all systems for both privileged and everyday users. This solution enables IT to rapidly and comprehensively enhance productivity, while discovering and remediating access issues that could present a significant threat in terms of cost and reputation.
Unmanaged privileged accounts ─ the most powerful users in the organization ─ are a clear target both for insiders and external attackers, and failure to govern and control privileged identities could result in significant data loss or destruction, malicious or inadvertent damage, fines, and even lawsuits. To determine whether a privileged user should have access to a particular system or resource, it is important to see that user’s entire set of access privileges ─ not just their privileged access. Organizations have implemented solutions to manage privileged users for several years, but these solutions fall short when it comes to providing complete governance. By integrating Dell’s solution for privileged management with its identity governance and administration solution, organizations can close security gaps and streamline provisioning and access governance for all users, regardless of their role or level of access needed.
New Privileged Governance Solution Embodies Dell’s Promise to Listen to Customers
Dell took to heart its promise to listen to customers when approached with a challenge from Colt Technology Services, an international network and IT services company delivering integrated computing and network services to major organizations, midsized businesses and wholesale customers worldwide. Colt operates in 22 European countries with a 46,000 km European network, and transatlantic network capacity . Known for the speed of its network, Colt needed an automated system to ensure it could uphold its speedy service guarantee while protecting customers’ networks, data and systems. The company also needed a solution that would tighten access governance for all users, and strengthen the protection against security breaches. After trying several different vendors, Colt came to Dell Software, which responded with a modular, yet integrated solution that would help them achieve privileged governance .
- Deployment of the new solution enabled Colt to speed up service and security by unifying its identity experience, streamlining governance, improving performance and lowering operational costs both for its internal requirements, and for customers
- Colt expects to achieve full return on investment (ROI) within the next 12 months
Dell’s Privileged Governance Solution Provides Real-world Approach to Identity Governance
Dell One Identity helps organizations get ahead by removing operational risk while enhancing productivity. The solution set mitigates security risks by controlling and governing access to critical organizational data and applications, eliminating shared credentials, and assigning individual accountability to administrator activity. Dell’s Privileged Governance Solution is a modular, integrated solution that intelligently manages and governs privileged user access to systems by automating the process within a single console.
- Simplifies privileged governance by enabling organizations to define roles, associated policies, access approval workflows, and periodic attestation of privileged access within the same system
- Removes the burden of manual attestation by using pre-defined rules to schedule and automatically send recertification requests
- Automates separation of duties by ensuring a requestor does not have conflicting entitlements before granting access
- Enhances security by enabling risk assessment for access to privileged accounts
Global Security Survey Results Reveal IT Leaders’ Concern about Unknown Internal Threats
The hidden threats that can lurk inside networks, endpoints and devices often are hidden in poorly configured settings or permissions, and can be helped into the network by ineffective data governance, access management and usage policies. These unknown threats come from all perimeters, both external and internal, and can cause deadly damage to the network at a huge cost to the organization. Dell Software recently released the results of a security survey of more than 1,400 IT executives around the world. Survey results showed:
- 60 percent of global IT decision leaders surveyed are concerned about internal malicious attacks
- 55 percent said setting policy for information risk management is of high importance in preventing security breaches
- 68 percent said managing, restricting and provisioning/de-provisioning is of high importance in preventing security breaches
- 53 percent said they currently use privileged account management to help detect and/or prevent security breaches
- 40 percent of U.S. respondents cited insider sabotage as the root cause of security breaches
John Milburn, executive director, Identity and Access Management, Dell Software
“Dell offers an identity vision, strategy and portfolio that span administration and governance, without an undue focus on any single platform or software development environment. Colt came to us because we could solve their problem without compromising security. This underscores the priority we put on really listening to what our customers tell us about their needs, so that we can help them to operate efficiently, and more securely. We are pleased that our new privileged access governance solution fills the gap in the need to fully protect organizations on all perimeters.”
Will Markham, security practice lead, Colt Technology Services
“As security threats become ever more creative, we needed to implement new levels of protection against data breaches, and also ensure our solution supported our business growth over the longer term. We came to Dell because they understood our business and could provide the appropriate levels of support, an absolute requirement when undertaking a project of this nature. We now have an improved ability to understand who's doing what, and where they're doing it, coupled with reduced maintenance costs. We put a lot of pressure on Dell, and they delivered brilliantly.”
Peter Cummings, managing director UK / senior analyst, KuppingerCole
“Approaches today focused primarily on perimeter security and firewall systems have proven to be insufficient to cover all the needs of information security. Increasingly companies realize that unknown threats can cause them harm, and may very well originate with a trusted employee. Integrating privilege management solutions with both identity provisioning and identity and access governance is mandatory today. Dell Software’s Privileged Governance Solution is a step in the right direction for combatting internal security breaches.”
- Dell’s Privileged Governance Solution is available to customers who have purchased Identity Manager and Privileged Password Manager or Privileged Session Manager.
- Dell Software solutions are available through the channel
Delivering Connected Security
Dell Connected Security gives organizations the power to solve their biggest security and compliance challenges today, while helping them better prepare for tomorrow. From the endpoint to the data center to the cloud, Dell helps mitigate risks to enable the business.
Dell Inc. listens to customers and delivers innovative technology and services that give them the power to do more. For more information, visit www.dell.com or http://software.dell.com/.
Dell is a trademark of Dell Inc. Dell disclaims any proprietary interest in the marks and names of others.