Help Me Choose: Microsoft Software
The Windows operating system (OS) is the most important software on your PC because your PC must have an OS to run other programs. In addition to the core features of Windows 7, Windows 8 offers exciting new features like extensive cloud services, Windows Store and touch support.
The new Office productivity software combines the latest Office applications with offerings like Skype world minutes and SkyDrive online storage. What’s more, Microsoft now offers subscription versions of Office for home and school, designed for the way you use Office today.
To learn more about Microsoft operating systems and productivity software, use the tabs below.
|Choose ...||If you ...||Features*|
|Windows 8||Plan to use a touch-enabled device|
|Want to take advantage of the wide range of new Windows apps designed for Windows 8|
|Want real time updates to the information you care about|
|Want assurance that you always have the latest version of your Windows app|
|Want secure boot up|
|Want to use cloud services to the fullest||Windows Store — purchased apps are available on multiple devices |
Windows Store — pick up where you left off in a game or app; from anywhere you can access your app (wireless connectivity is required to access the store)
SkyDrive — Windows 8 apps are more easily integrated with SkyDrive® (internet connection required)
|New Windows 8.1 Features||Want more personalization options||Set the lock screen to your favorite photo, or turn the lock screen display into a slide show of your pictures. Pin tiles to your Start screen for the people, sites, and apps that matter to you, and arrange them the way you want.|
|Would like Improved Apps|
Apps that you love have been redesigned with better features :
• Photos app allows user to open pictures from other apps – Mail, SkyDrive, Camera
|Like to Skype|
Nothing beats Skype when you want to catch up with your best friend, see your kids when you’re on the road, or reconnect with far-away family.
|Choose ...||If you ...||Features*|
|Windows 7 Professional||Want all the features in Windows 7 Home Premium, and:|
— Need Windows 7 Professional today but may want to use Windows 8 Pro in the future
— Want to enable your Downgrade Rights* as defined in the Windows 8 EULA**. What is it: This offering*** is a License of Windows 8 Pro, with the installation of Windows 7 Professional. This does not have a license of Windows 7 Professional.
|Windows 7 Ultimate||Want all the features in Windows 7 Professional, and:|
* Downgrade Rights enable a customer who purchases a Windows® 8 Pro license to utilize a different operating system in the place of the licensed OS. Specifically at Dell, we are enabling Windows 7 Professional in the place of Windows® 8 Pro. The PC licensed for Windows® 8 Pro may only have 1 Operating System installed at a time, so the customer may utilize a Windows® 8 Pro Operating System or Windows® 7 Professional. With this offering we are installing Windows® 7 Professional in place of Windows 8, but providing the license to Windows 8 Pro in the BIOS so that when the customer chooses to upgrade to Windows® 8, the customer will have a licensed and activated Operating System installed on the PC.
** The EULA is the End User License Agreement. This is an agreement between the PC Owner and Microsoft that enables the PC Owner’s right to use either Windows® 7 Professional or Windows 8 Pro. For reference this document can be accessed from the following link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/legal/IntellectualProperty/UseTerms/Default.aspx (Instructions: Choose Pre-Installed on your computer from the computer manufacturer, Product Name: Windows, Version: 8 Pro, Language: your choice)
*** To enable downgrade to Windows® 7 on this system the BIOS settings on this system were changed to boot into legacy BIOS mode. If the BIOS setting is not changed to native UEFI mode boot prior to installing, Windows 8 Pro [update] Product or Windows® 8 Pro will install; however, the following Windows® 8 Pro [update] Product, Windows 8 Pro functionalities will not work as they rely on a native UEFI mode boot:
- Secure Boot
- Seamless Boot experience
- Network unlock for Bitlocker for systems with a Trusted Platform Module (TPM)
- eDrive support
5 devices and all Office applications
- If your home has multiple devices and you want all the applications, choose the Office 365 Home Premium subscription, which can be shared across 5 PCs, Macs and mobile devices. That way you can switch between devices and pick up right where you left off
1 PC and essential Office applications.
- If you want the latest versions of the essential Office applications for one PC, choose Office Home and Student 2013
- If you want the latest versions of the essential Office applications for one PC, including Outlook to keep your home and work life organized, choose Office Home and Business 2013
- If you want the latest versions of the essential Office applications for one PC, including Outlook for email and Publisher to create marketing materials, choose Office Professional 2013
Note: Office Home and Student 2013 is for noncommercial use only. Office Home and Business 2013 and Office Professional 2013 are ideal for commercial use.
- Updated applications — Word, Excel®, PowerPoint®, Outlook®, Publisher Access® and OneNote* (included applications vary by suite).
- Personalized settings and documents are available every time you sign in.
- New support for touch and stylus* in addition to keyboard and mouse on touch-enabled devices.
- 7GB of SkyDrive storage, enabling you to save to SkyDrive automatically, and easily access and share documents from almost anywhere.*
|Pick the right Office for you.|| |
Home & Student 2013
Home & Business 2013
Office 365 Home Premium
|1 PC|| |
5 PCs or Macs
|Core Office applications:|
Word, Excel®, PowerPoint®.
|Email, calendars, and tasks:|
|Publishing and databases: |
|Office on multiple devices:|
Install Office on up to 5 PCs or Macs and on select mobile devices when available*.
Always have your applications, settings and documents accessible when you need them.
|Office on Demand:|
Stream full-featured Office applications* to any internet-connected PC with Office on Demand*.
|Skype world minutes:|
Find new ways to stay in touch with 60 minutes of Skype™ calls each month to phones in 40+ countries*.
|SkyDrive® + 20GB storage:|
Save documents online to your SkyDrive for easy access and sharing virtually anywhere*.
|Easy annual subscription:|
Includes ongoing access to version upgrades, multiple device installs and access to multiple languages.