Help Me Choose: Operating System
To choose the right OS, consider how you plan to use your PC and whether it is touch-enabled.
If you’re buying a touch-enabled PC, want to use cloud services and Windows apps in addition to the features of Windows 7, and want a faster loading time, choose a Windows 8.1 edition.
If you browse the internet, work on Word documents, make presentations, use social media, and you’re not buying a touch-enabled PC, choose a Windows 7 edition.
If you mostly use web-based applications, are not dependent on OS-specific programs, want low cost of ownership, you’re comfortable with open-source software, choose Ubuntu if it’s available.
To learn more about the features and editions of Windows 10, 8.1, Windows 7 and Ubuntu, use the tabs below.
|Choose Windows 10 if you want to:||…Features|
|Do things confidently. |
• It all begins at start. The Start menu is back and better than ever so you can expand and customize it• Fast and responsive. Technologies like InstantGo let you boot up and resume quickly
|Do things naturally.|
• Your own digital assistant. Cortana is the personal assistant who learns over time to become more useful to you
• Touch, type, pen. Choose what works best for what you’re doing• Start and Live Tiles. Reach your favorite things fast with customizable Start screen and Live Tiles
|Do things simply.|
• More ways to play. Stream and play your Xbox One games to any Windows 10 PC in your home
• Great built-in apps. Windows 10 comes with apps – Photos, Maps, Music Video and more – that work across your devices• Free cloud storage. 15GB of free OneDrive storage: easy, anywhere access to your files and photos
|Do things easily.|
• A web you can write on. Write directly on web pages and easily share the mark-ups with friends• Get organized. Snap up to four apps on the screen and create new desktops for more space
• To enable downgrade to Windows 7 on this system the BIOS settings on this system were changed to boot into legacy BIOS mode. If the BIOS setting is not changed to native UEFI mode boot prior to installing, Windows 10 Pro Product will install; however, the following Windows 10 Pro Product functionalities will not work as they rely on a native UEFI mode boot: Secure Boot, Seamless Boot experience, Network unlock for Bitlocker for systems with a Trusted Platform Module (TPM), eDrive support
All-new browser that makes the web work the way you do.
|Multiple Desktops and Snap*|
Create multiple desktops and snap up to four apps on one screen.
Enjoy free online storage for your photos and files.
|Join a Domain or Azure Active Directory|
Easily connect to your business or school network.
Help protect your data with enhanced encryption and security management.
Sign in and use your Pro PC while at home or on the road.
Create and run virtual machines.
|Business Store and Private Catalog|
Access your company’s apps through your own section in the Windows Store.
|Choose ...||If you ...||Features*|
|New Windows 8.1 Features||Want more personalization options||Set the lock screen to your favorite photo, or turn the lock screen display into a slide show of your pictures. Pin tiles to your Start screen for the people, sites, and apps that matter to you, and arrange them the way you want.|
|Would like Improved Apps||Apps that you love have been redesigned with better features :|
|Like to Skype||Nothing beats Skype when you want to catch up with your best friend, see your kids when you’re on the road, or reconnect with far-away family.|
|Plan to use a touch-enabled device|
|Want to take advantage of the wide range of new Windows apps designed for Windows 8.1|
|Want real-time updates to the information you care about|
|Want assurance that you always have the latest version of your Windows app|
|Want secure bootup|
|Want to use cloud services to the fullest||Windows Store — purchased apps are available on multiple devices. |
Windows Store — pick up where you left off in a game or app; from anywhere you can access your app (wireless connectivity is required to access the Store).
OneDrive — Windows apps are more easily integrated with OneDrive. (internet connection required)
|If you want to ...||Choose ...|
|Use your PC for web surfing.||Windows 7 Home Basic|
|Use your PC primarily for entertainment, in addition to web surfing, |
gaming and productivity. (Enjoy and share your favorite TV shows, photos,
videos and music.)
|Windows 7 Home Premium|
|Use your PC both at home and at work. (Enjoy all the multimedia and|
entertainment features of Windows 7 Home Premium, plus business
relevant features, such as Location Aware Printing and Windows Mobility
Center Presentation Mode.)
— Need Windows 7 Professional today but may want to use Windows 8.1 Pro in the future
— Want to enable your Downgrade Rights* as defined in the Windows 8.1 EULA*. What is it: This offering* is a License of Windows 8.1 Pro, with the installation of Windows 7 Professional. This does not have a license of Windows 7 Professional.
|Windows 7 Professional|
|Have it all — the multimedia benefits of Windows 7 Home Premium,|
plus the business features of Windows 7 Professional. (Get added
security features and the flexibility to work in multiple languages.)
|Windows 7 Ultimate|
1. Some product features may require advanced or additional hardware.
2. Downgrade Rights enable a customer who purchases a Windows 8.1 Pro license to utilize a different operating system in the place of the licensed OS. Specifically at Dell, we are enabling Windows 7 Professional in the place of Windows 8.1 Pro. The PC licensed for Windows 8.1 Pro may only have 1 Operating System installed at a time, so the customer may utilize a Windows 8.1 Pro Operating System or Windows 7 Professional. With this offering we are installing Windows 7 Professional in place of Windows 8.1, but providing the license to Windows 8.1 Pro in the BIOS so that when the customer chooses to upgrade to Windows 8.1, the customer will have a licensed and activated Operating System installed on the PC.
3. The EULA is the End User License Agreement. This is an agreement between the PC Owner and Windows that enables the PC Owner’s right to use either Windows 7 Professional or Windows 8.1 Pro.
4. To enable downgrade to Windows 7 on this system the BIOS settings on this system were changed to boot into legacy BIOS mode. If the BIOS setting is not changed to native UEFI mode boot prior to installing, Windows 8.1 Pro [update] Product or Windows 8.1 Pro will install; however, the following Windows 8.1 Pro [update] Product, Windows 8.1 Pro functionalities will not work as they rely on a native UEFI mode boot:
• Secure Boot
• Seamless Boot experience
• Network unlock for Bitlocker for systems with a Trusted Platform Module (TPM)
• eDrive support
Which should you choose?
You might prefer Ubuntu if:
You are comfortable with open-source software.
You want to customize your operating system.
You want to save money by using one of the most popular alternative operating systems in the market and be free from licensing fees.
Features & Design
Ubuntu can have a low total cost of ownership over the life of your computer and there are thousands of free applications available through the Ubuntu Software Center.
An office productivity suite, LibreOffice, also comes bundled with Ubuntu and is compatible with Microsoft Office Suite.
Ubuntu is safe and secure. With a trusted application software repository, data encryption and built-in protection from malware and viruses, you can be protected.
Ubuntu LTS (Long Term Release) brings 5 years of free security and maintenance updates.