Help Me Choose: Operating Systems
— Every PC must have an operating system to run other programs.
— Operating systems perform basic tasks such as recognizing input from the keyboard, sending output to the monitor, keeping track of files and directories on the hard disk, and controlling devices such as optical drives and printers.
— Operating systems also manage how your computer accesses available networks.
In addition to the core features of Windows 8.1, Windows 10 offers exciting new features such as your own digital assistant, and free cloud storage.
|Choose Windows 10 if you want to:||...Features|
|Do things confidently.|
• It all begins at start. The Start menu is back and better than ever so you can expand and customize it.• Fast and responsive. Technologies like InstantGo let you boot up and resume quickly.
|Do things naturally.|| |
• Your own digital assistant. Cortana is the personal assistant who learns over time to become more useful to you.
• Touch, type, pen. Choose what works best for what you’re doing.• Start and Live Tiles. Reach your favorite things fast with customizable Start screen and Live Tiles.
|Do things simply.|
• More ways to play. Stream and play your Xbox One games to any Windows 10 PC in your home.
• Great built-in apps. Windows 10 comes with apps – Photos, Maps, Music Video and more – that work across your devices.• Free cloud storage. 15GB of free OneDrive storage: easy, anywhere access to your files and photos.
|Do things easily.|
• A web you can write on. Write directly on web pages and easily share the mark-ups with friends.• Get organized. Snap up to four apps on the screen and create new desktops for more space.
|Choose ...||If you ...||Features*|
|Windows 8.1||Plan to use a touch-enabled device|
|Want to take advantage of the wide range of new Windows apps designed for Windows 8.1|
|Want real-time updates to the information you care about|
|Want assurance that you always have the latest version of your Windows app|
|Want secure boot-up|
|Want to use cloud services to the fullest||Windows Store — purchased apps are available on multiple devices |
Windows Store — pick up where you left off in a game or app; from anywhere you can access your app (wireless connectivity is required to access the Store)
OneDrive — Windows Apps are more easily integrated with OneDrive (internet connection required)
|New Windows 8.1 Features||Want more personalization options||Set the lock screen to your favorite photo, or turn the lock screen display into a slide show of your pictures. Pin tiles to your Start screen for the people, sites, and apps that matter to you, and arrange them the way you want.|
|Would like Improved Apps||Apps that you love have been redesigned with better features :|
|Like to Skype||Nothing beats Skype when you want to catch up with your best friend, see your kids when you’re on the road, or reconnect with far-away family.|
|Android is a leading mobile operating system developed by Google primarily for touch screen mobile devices like phones and tablets. Android devices are thin, light, highly mobile with outstanding battery life. Android has large selection of applications available through the Google Play Store.|
What are the benefits?
Which should you choose?
You might prefer Ubuntu if:
You are comfortable with open-source software.
You want to customize your operating system.
You want to save money by using one of the most popular alternative operating systems in the market and be free from licensing fees.
Features & Design
Ubuntu can have a low total cost of ownership over the life of your computer and there are thousands of free applications available through the Ubuntu Software Center.
An office productivity suite, LibreOffice, also comes bundled with Ubuntu and is compatible with Microsoft Office Suite.
Ubuntu is safe and secure. With a trusted application software repository, data encryption and built-in protection from malware and viruses, you can be protected.
Ubuntu LTS (Long Term Release) brings 5 years of free security and maintenance updates.