San Felipe Del Rio Consolidated ISD
Date : 11/1/2013
Our district is avoiding about $1.25 million in annual expense that our old way of refreshing PCs would have cost us, by deploying our desktop virtualization model using Dell Wyse thin clients.
Abe Casillas, Chief Technology Officer, San Felipe Del Rio Consolidated ISD, Del Rio, Texas, United States
ChallengeThe school district could no longer afford the $1.5 million cost of replacing a third of its 4,500 desktop PCs each year, nor could it afford the upkeep of the remaining PCs.
SolutionThe district replaced its older desktops with Dell thin clients at far less cost and maintenance, while opening new learning horizons for freshmen by giving them take-home laptops.
Benefits• Optimizes the learning environment for students and teachers
• Provides freshmen with take-home laptops for more personalized learning
• Saves $1.25 million annually to use for other technology initiatives
• Reduces instructional disruptions due to IT support calls in classrooms
• Cuts 2,250 hours a year in ongoing IT support requirements
• Eliminates the two weeks a year IT needed to load bilingual testing software