Florida Atlantic University (FAU) refreshes data center and increases efficiency
Date : 3/1/2014
In choosing Dell, we realized we weren’t just choosing technology but also a technology partner. The level of expertise that Dell made available to us was extraordinary.
Mehran Basiratmand, Chief Technology Officer, Florida Atlantic University, United States
ChallengeWith severe budget constraints and an aging data center infrastructure, Florida Atlantic University had to keep pace with student population growth to ensure retention.
SolutionThe university partnered with Dell and Intel to replace old hardware with Dell PowerEdge servers with Intel® Xeon® processors using virtualization in its main data center and disaster recovery center 400 miles away.
Benefits• Student registration capacity boosted 625 percent
• Turnaround on financial aid notifications cut from two days to several hours
• Peak registrations don’t affect other IT operations as before
• Annual maintenance savings pay for the Dell solution
• Easy administration saves the hours of two full-time IT staff
• Backup time cut from 3 hours to 20 minutes