Microsoft Operating Systems and Servers
Windows® 7 is designed to dramatically improve the computing experience of every kind of PC user — from people at home who use their PCs for simple Web browsing, to business people who must organize and act on large volumes of data.
Windows 7 is available in several editions. Here is an overview of each:
- Windows 7 Professional — Designed for small and midsized organizations, Windows 7 Professional runs on PCs that meet the recommended hardware requirements of Windows Vista® Business. Windows 7 Professional provides a reliable experience, helps you get more done and helps safeguard your work. It is available as an upgrade license through Volume Licensing.
- Windows 7 Enterprise — Designed for businesses that want to optimize their desktop IT infrastructure, Windows 7 Enterprise will help make users productive anywhere, enhance security and control, and streamline PC management. It is available with Software Assurance for Windows.
- Microsoft® Desktop Optimization Pack — Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack (MDOP) is a suite of six client virtualization, management and deployment technologies that help reduce total cost of ownership, increase desktop manageability and improve overall infrastructure satisfaction. It is available as a subscription to Software Assurance customers.
The Microsoft Windows Server System™ is a comprehensive and integrated server infrastructure designed to meet the needs of developers and IT professionals, as well as to flexibly run the programs and solutions that enable information workers to reach, analyze and share information quickly and easily. The Microsoft Windows Server System provides a common architecture that delivers value across every facet of IT.
Windows Server® Product Overview
- Windows Server 2008 R2 — With built-in, enhanced Web and virtualization capabilities, Windows Server is designed to increase the reliability and flexibility of server infrastructure while helping save time and reduce costs. Powerful tools give greater control over servers, and streamline configuration and management tasks. Plus, enhanced security features work to harden the operating system to help protect the data and network while providing a solid, highly dependable foundation for your business.
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter Edition — Windows Server R2 2008 Data center enables deploying business-critical applications and large-scale virtualization on small and large servers by providing a foundation on which to build enterprise-class virtualization and scale-up solutions. It helps in experiencing improved availability, enhanced power management, and integrated solutions for mobile and branch workers while reducing infrastructure costs by consolidating applications with unlimited virtualization licensing rights. Scales from 2 to 64 processors.
- Windows HPC Server 2008 — The next generation of high-performance computing (HPC), Windows HPC Server 2008 can efficiently scale to thousands of processing cores and includes management consoles that help proactively monitor and maintain system health and stability. Job scheduling interoperability and flexibility enables integration between Windows and Linux®-based HPC platforms, and supports batch and service oriented application (SOA) workloads.
- Windows Small Business Server 2008 — This server suite integrates email, fax, database and shared Internet into one powerful platform that's easy to deploy. Order the Evaluation Kit and see for yourself.
- Identity Lifecycle Manager 2007 — This product enables IT organizations to reduce the cost of managing the identity and access life cycle by providing a single view of a user’s identity across the heterogeneous enterprise and through the automation of common tasks.
- System Center Configuration Manager 2007 R2 — This solution comprehensively assesses, deploys and updates your servers, clients and devices across physical, virtual, distributed and mobile environments. Optimized for Windows and extensible beyond, it is the best choice for gaining enhanced insight into and control over IT systems.
- System Center Data Protection Manager (DPM) 2007 — DPM 2007 can help protect business-critical data in companies that depend on Microsoft Server-based platforms, including SQL Server® or Microsoft Exchange, to manage and deliver information.
- System Center Essentials 2007 — This new management solution in the System Center family of IT systems management products is specifically designed for midsize businesses (up to 500 PCs and 30 servers). Essentials 2007 provides a unified management solution that enables IT professionals in midsize organizations to proactively manage their IT environment with increased efficiency.
- System Center Operations Manager 2007 — This is an end-to-end service management solution that is the best choice for Windows because it works seamlessly with Microsoft software and applications helping increase efficiency, while enabling greater control of IT environment.
- System Center Service Manager 2010 — System Center Service Manager is designed to meet the needs of the modern IT help desk. By providing powerful capabilities for incident, problem, asset and change management, System Center Service Manager will support organizations as they seek to improve the service they provide to their users.
- System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 — Providing a management solution for today’s virtualized data center, System Center Virtual Machine Manager centralizes management of the IT infrastructure while it increases server utilization capability and dynamic resource optimization across multiple virtualization and physical platforms.
- System Center Management Suites — These suites provide an easy and economical way for customers to get a complete server management solution for departmental or enterprise server environments.
- Opalis — As part of the System Center family, Opalis provides IT processes automation of incident response, provisioning, virtual lifecycle management and change management. This is achieved through a workflow environment that orchestrates and integrates System Center tools with 3rd party management tools, enabling interoperability and process consistency across the data center.
- BizTalk® Server 2009 — BizTalk Server 2009 helps organizations cost-effectively manage their supply chain from the factory to the storefront. An end-to-end integrated supply chain allows organizations to drive maximum efficiency through visibility into critical business processes and tighter collaboration with trading partners.
- Commerce Server 2009 — Enabling organizations to create full-featured Web business applications, Commerce Server 2009 extends businesses across networks, while allowing them to integrate ecommerce solutions within an existing infrastructure.
- SQL Server 2008 R2 — SQL Server 2008 R2 is a comprehensive, integrated data management and analysis software that enables organizations to reliably manage mission-critical information and confidently run today’s increasingly complex business applications.
- Exchange Server 2010 — A server-based solution for enterprise-wide communication and collaboration, Exchange Server 2010 provides high availability to local and remote users while keeping critical business communications secure and private.
- Groove Server 2010 — This application provides the server software and tools that IT organizations can use to improve deployment, management and integration of the Groove functionality that comes with Microsoft SharePoint® Workspace 2010.
- Office Communications Server 2010 — This product delivers streamlined communications to help locate and communicate with the right person, right now, from the applications used most.
- Project Server 2010 — This project management server enables organizations to more effectively manage and coordinate work from one-time projects to complex programs across the entire project life cycle.
- FAST Search Server 2010 for SharePoint — Combining the power of FAST with the simplicity of SharePoint, FAST Search Server 2010 for SharePoint offers a new choice in enterprise search. FAST delivers an exceptional intranet and people search experience and a platform for building custom search-driven applications.
- Office SharePoint Server 2010 — Part of the 2010 Microsoft Office system, Office SharePoint Server 2010 facilitates collaboration, provides content management features, implements business processes, and supplies access to information that is essential to organizational goals and processes.