Dell | Terascala HPC Storage Solution — Lustre Parallel File System
Dell | Terascala HPC Storage Solution
If you are either a researcher within a university or if you use a high-performance computing (HPC) solution in your department, the Dell™ | Terascala® HPC Storage Solution (DT-HSS) is designed for you. The Dell | Terascala HPC storage solution is a fully supported, high-performance and cost-effective parallel file system that is easy to deploy, configure and manage. It also scales both in capacity and performance, and provides high-output Lustre® file system-based storage as an appliance.
With performance of up to 6.2GB/s read and 4.2GB/s write per base active/active Object Storage Server pair, we deliver the performance you need to get the maximum from your high-performance computing infrastructure. The Dell | Terascala HPC storage solution management software simplifies Lustre-based storage management, including managing failover with object and metadata server nodes.
Key featuresThe Dell | Terascala HPC storage solution has the following features:
- Complete, pre-configured and tested solution. We provide on-site installation, configuration and customer training to help you minimize deployment time.
- Advanced management and monitoring. An easy-to-use management interface provides end-to-end management and monitoring for the entire storage system.
- High data throughput. You get up to 6.2GB/s read and 4.2GB/s write sequential throughput per each active/active base object storage server pair. Performance and capacity can be scaled easily by adding additional OSS pairs.
- Superior customer support. All the hardware and software (including Lustre) in this solution are fully supported by experienced Dell and Terascala customer support professionals.
- Choice of configurations and easy scalability. Using a building block approach, we can create a configuration for you that meets your capacity and performance requirements. Additionally, this solution can scale from a minimum of 48TB to petabytes of raw capacity in a single namespace.
- High-availability solutions:
- OSS/MDS configurations. Select an active/active OSS and active/passive MDS configuration for increased availability and improved performance.
- Storage arrays. Choose an active/active dual RAID controllers run on Dell MD3200 with hot swappable disk drives, redundant power supplies and fans.
A solution that matches your requirements
We can help you to create a high-performance storage solution that fits your budget and meets your requirements for capacity and performance. Key components of the solution include:
- Metadata server pair — The metadata server (MDS) stores the file system metadata. The metadata server pair is comprised of two highly available active/passive PowerEdge™ R710 metadata servers connected to a PowerVault™ MD3220 with 12TB of raw shared storage. To provide high bandwidth and low latency link for clients to reach user data, each metadata server provides QDR InfiniBand™ or 10GB Ethernet connectivity for clients. The MDS pair provides a single namespace for the user data stored in one or more object storage servers.
- Object storage server pair — The object storage server (OSS) stores the user data. The OSS pair is comprised of two highly available active/active PowerEdge R710 object storage servers that are connected to two PowerVault MD3200 storage enclosures. Each OSS pair provides up to 6.2GB/s of read throughput and up to 4.2GB/s of write throughput. You can increase performance by adding more OSS pairs. Augment capacity by adding PowerVault MD1200 disk enclosures to each OSS pair. Capacity is scalable from 48TB (raw capacity) to a maximum of 384TB per OSS pair.
- Terascala management solution — The Terascala Management Solution (TMS) provides the software interface, monitoring and management agents, and a file system that simplifies the ongoing support for the overall storage solution. Terascala’s Rapid Failover technology uses monitoring agents to detect error conditions that require failover. This ensures that failovers occur quickly when needed. But the TMS also ensures that failovers do not occur unless they are needed, which is just as important. Built-in notifications deliver an email directly to administrators when issues occur. With a single point of view to all the solution components, even system administrators without extensive parallel file system experience can manage and maintain this storage appliance easily.
Read more about our Terascala solutions in the Key Documents and Related Articles sections in the right side of this page. Additionally, links are provided to TechCenter Blogs and various other HPC solutions in the Related Links section.
© Dell, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Dell and PowerVault are trademarks of Dell, Inc. Terascala is a trademark of Terascala, Inc. Lustre® is a registered trademark of Oracle America, Inc.