Dell Announces New E-Family Laptops and Intelligent Management Capabilities Designed to Help Organizations Simplify PC Refresh
- Refreshed mainstream Latitude E-Family laptops unite enterprise-class control, design and collaboration for mobile computing needs
- Dell focused on customers’ evolving needs in developing new suite of management capabilities that help them simplify deployment, management and recovery of assets
- Dell Migration Services provides easy transition and deployment of Windows 7, with automated processes to help reduce costs
ROUND ROCK, Texas, April 8, 2010 – New additions to the line of popular Dell Latitude E-family laptops – and complementary software and services solutions— will make it simple and affordable for public and private sector organizations worldwide to refresh laptops. According to IDC, the industry can expect to see 27 percent growth in commercial laptops over the next three years as organizations begin to realize the cost and impact of holding on to an aging infrastructure.
“Organizations have a great incentive to refresh today,” said Bob O’Donnell, Program VP, Client Computing, IDC. “With new technologies such as Intel’s processors and Microsoft Windows 7, CIOs can drive greater workforce efficiency and IT automation. In addition, a modern system running a modern operating system offers greater efficiencies when it comes to desktop virtualization, data protection, asset monitoring and remote management.”
Dell Latitude E-Family
The award-winning Latitude E-Family line has been extended with the Latitude E6410, E6510 and E6410 ATG laptops. Based on direct feedback from customers, Dell has enhanced the Latitude family with new Intel Core i5 and Corei7 processors, fast DDR3 memory, HD displays and other new standards-based features. These updates bolster a product lineup that already features breakthrough battery life and professional style – including a choice of three colors.
New additions to the Dell Latitude family support a range of usage needs:
- Mainstream – The dependable and stylish Dell Latitude E6410 and E6510 are 14.1-inch and 15.6-inch professional laptops, available now, that start at $1,129 and $1,164 USD, respectively. The systems, which include a 3-megapixel camera and optional discrete graphics from NVIDIA are designed for mobile collaboration and advanced productivity.
- Semi-Rugged – The Latitude E6410 ATG is a 14.1-inch semi-rugged laptop, engineered to increase productivity regardless of location or terrain. It is built and tested to meet the MIL STD 810F for shock, vibration, temperature, humidity and altitude.
Enhanced features and capabilities of the new Latitude laptops include the following:
- A new Fast Response Free Fall Sensor that can help prevent data loss from drops;
- Optional Dell Latitude ON technology that allows access to e-mail, calendar and contacts without booting up;
- Energy Smart power management setting to reduce energy consumption, which results in longer battery life;
- Select configurations offer Energy Star and EPEAT certifications;
- Select configurations of the Dell Latitude E6410 are optimized for Microsoft® Office Communicator for increased mobile collaboration.
Secure Authentication and Data Protection
The Dell Latitude E6410, E6510, E6510 ATG laptops offer flexible and secure authentication and data protection. Dell ControlVault, standard on these systems, offers hardened storage and processing of authentication credentials away from the system’s hard drive and memory and processors – the primary target of most malware. Additionally, ControlVault offers the following:
- Secure fingerprint authentication implementations with full on-chip;
- Built-in contactless card reader for convenient authentication and log-in;
- Embedded one-time-password token capability; and,
- Enabled single sign on – enter credentials once and user is verified all the way through the operating system.
More information on the Latitude E-Family can be found at www.dell.com/latitude.
Intelligent Management Solutions
Dell offers a comprehensive set of imaging and asset management solutions that help customers efficiently image, deploy, manage and recover assets to extend productivity and savings.
- Dell Management Console for Clients is available at no cost and helps customers manage their Dell commercial client laptops and desktops. The DMC streamlines desktop to datacenter infrastructure management and enables centralization, remote visibility and control, and common task automation.
- The KACE KBOX Systems Management (KBOX 1000 Series) and Deployment (KBOX 2000 Series) Appliances (both physical and virtual appliances) provide mid-sized organizations comprehensive, end-to-end systems management and deployment capabilities via affordable and easy-to-use appliances.
Dell has developed tools to help customers image, deploy and manage laptops and desktops using Microsoft System Center, including:, Dell Client Deployment Pack for System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) to help simplify deployment and Dell Client Update Catalog for SCCM to help simplify system updates.
Dell has also developed several utilities available at no cost that help customers automate deployment and management tasks.
- Dell Client Systems Deployment CAB - A downloadable archive containing drivers for a specific Dell commercial desktop or laptop in a format to help greatly reduce the amount time spent deploying operating systems.
- Client Configuration Toolkit – Software tool that helps enable IT to configure BIOS without a desk side visit either one-to-one or one-to-many in a preOS or post-OS environment.
- OpenManage Client Instrumentation – A management tool that helps enable deep insights into assets to assess the health and state of components (processors, batteries, monitors, fans, etc.) in a system. It also helps third-party management consoles to communicate with Dell hardware.
- Dell Client System Update – Helping solve a leading driver for help desk calls, the easy-to-use tool scans a system’s drivers and compares what is available on www.support.dell.com and updates the systems as needed. The tool can be scheduled to run on a regular basis and users can customize what updates are downloaded and installed. IT can set parameters for updates (schedule and define what is downloaded) via command line interface or script.
Dell offers a comprehensive of set of services that help customers automate the deployment and management of commercial laptops and desktops, as well as the ability to help securely dispose of outdated or retired assets.
- Deployment Services - Designed to simplify and accelerate the customization and utilization of new systems. Dell Deployment Services include everything from order consolidation to coordination of deployment resources.
- Managed Deployment – Designed for customers who want a complete, end-to-end deployment solution.
- Hardware Customization (CFI) - Services designed to help accelerate a customer’s system deployments. Dell can perform a range of services such as custom configuration, consolidation, and integration in our factory so that customers can deploy systems right out of the box.
- Asset Recovery Services - Safe and environmentally-appropriate disposal solutions for outdated or end-of-life IT assets.
Dell Distributed Device Management automates processes to help enable effective, real‐time management of client PCs virtually, regardless of their location. This service utilizes a software agent that resides on each PC which sends system data to a data center. Dell Distributed Device Management services include:
- Dell Asset Management ‐ Enables companies to discover, inventory, track and manage desktop and notebook computers to help improve system‐wide security, risk management, and compliance.
- Dell Software Distribution ‐ Distributes and controls software and versioning in dispersed desktop and notebook environments.
- Dell Patch Management ‐ Helps automate and centralize patch management to help ensure security and identify vulnerabilities.
- Dell Anti‐Malware & Virus Management ‐ Protects a company’s PCs and helps ensure end‐point security by centrally deploying anti‐virus software and updates –whether or not they’re on the corporate network.
Dell Inc. (NASDAQ: DELL) listens to customers and delivers innovative technology and services they need and value. For more information, visit www.dell.com.
Availability and terms of Dell Services vary by region. For more information, visit www.dell.com/servicedescriptions.
Dell, Latitude and Latitude ON are trademarks of Dell Inc. Dell disclaims any proprietary interest in the marks and names of others.