New Dell Desktop Virtualization Solutions Bring Organizations to the Virtual Era
Date : 3/10/2011
Round Rock, Texas
- Dell Desktop Virtualization Solutions bring enterprise computing to virtually any end-user computing device, anytime, anywhere --- helping improve employee productivity, while reducing IT management complexity
- Dell offers a variety of open, capable and affordable solution delivery models ranging from Virtual Desktop as a Service to custom solutions, designed to address each organization’s unique business and IT requirements
Expanding on its solutions portfolio, Dell today announced the availability of Dell Desktop Virtualization Solutions (DDVS), which utilizes pre-packaged services with configured and tested hardware and software. DDVS eases the design and implementation complexities inherent in deploying virtualized desktop environments and accelerates the adoption of desktop virtualization so organizations can adapt to the changing dynamics of today’s more mobile and global workforce.
The DDVS portfolio is designed to enable customers to support virtually anytime, anywhere, any end-user computing device in a cost-effective, secure and predictable way. Based on an open architecture, DDVS gives organizations the Power To Do More by providing IT the agility and the flexibility needed to help support an efficient enterprise while helping enhance the end-user experience.
Designed to accelerate return on investment and solution stability and part of DDVS, the Dell Integrated Solution Stack is a completely configured and tested solution that includes hardware and software as well as Dell Services. Informed by Dell’s experience deploying virtual desktop technology in leading organizations across industry sectors, the validated Dell Integrated Solution Stack represents over 50,000 hours of testing and validation --- all designed to simplify virtualized deployments.
The Customer-Premise and Dell Cloud platforms were designed using the same reference architecture and base ingredients, thus driving efficiency in service delivery and support operations. The ingredients include purpose-built hardware including Dell PowerEdge servers, Dell EqualLogic storage and Dell PowerConnect networking. Also, as most organizations have a variety of users with different computing needs, Dell has an expansive technology ecosystem with industry leaders in end-user computing virtualization components. DDVS is fully qualified and integrated solutions from Citrix and VMware, allowing for customer preference and optimal solution configuration.
Dell plans to expand DDVS to include solutions specifically designed for vertical markets. Examples of purpose-built vertical solutions currently available from Dell include, Dell Virtual Lab for education institutions and Dell Mobile Clinical Computing Solution for clinicians in healthcare with both using the efficiencies of desktop virtualization to deliver rapid return-on-investment and secure access to critical data.
Dell provides flexibility by offering four unique delivery models that are designed to address specific customer business requirements and IT environments. Solution delivery models include the following:
- Virtual Desktop as a Service (vDaaS) Solution – Dell provides fully-managed virtual desktops hosted from the Dell Cloud and customers can expect a SLA-class experience for availability and ongoing operations.
- Managed Service Solution – Dell implements and manages the customer purchased Integrated Solution Stack. The customers can expect a SLA-class experience and the flexibility to deploy on-premise or in a Dell Data Center.
- Customer Managed Solution – Dell implements the customer purchased Integrated Solution Stack within the customer’s on-premise location. Dell turns over management of operations, monitoring and incident resolution to the customer after the deployment is completed. This solution comes with Dell ProSupport* for Desktop Virtualization providing the customer with a single support line for both hardware break/fix and solution troubleshooting inclusive of the software stack.
- Custom Solution – Dell provides design, build and/or implementation consulting services to deliver a custom-built solutions utilizing Dell’s best of breed ingredients and modified reference architectures.
“Desktop virtualization offers customers an opportunity to drive technology productivity by streamlining and simplifying the management of the desktop, enabling workers to use virtually any device, anytime, from anywhere,” said Jan Uhrich, vice president, solutions, Dell. “Given Dell's proven strengths in both managing the entire set of hardware and software assets as well as services capabilities, organizations know the solution is fully unified and integrated, helping them achieve an efficient enterprise.”
“The powerful combination of Citrix XenDesktop with leading Dell hardware and services gives customers solutions that simplify and speed desktop virtualization deployments across the enterprise. Integrating XenDesktop as part of the Dell Desktop Virtualization Solutions provides our mutual customers a broad range of virtual desktop delivery models, beyond VDI alone, giving them the flexibility to deliver any type of desktop and app to every user on any device over any network,” said John Fanelli, vice president, product marketing, Enterprise Desktops and Applications at Citrix.
“Dell Desktop Virtualization Solutions, with VMware View™, provide a complete virtual desktop infrastructure that enables enterprises to improve security, lower operating costs and simplify desktop administration and management,” said Vittorio Viarengo, vice president, End User Computing Products, VMware. “We are pleased to offer this solution as part of our longstanding partnership with Dell. Working together, VMware and Dell can provide a clear path for organizations to rapidly deploy a modern, end-user computing architecture.”
DDVS is available now in the U.S. with expected availability in other countries later this year.
Dell (NASDAQ: DELL) listens to its customers and uses that insight to make technology simpler and create innovative solutions that deliver reliable, long-term value. Learn more at www.dell.com.
Dell, PowerEdge, EqualLogic and PowerConnect are trademarks of Dell Inc. Dell disclaims any proprietary interest in the marks and names of others.