Snapshot Explorer Completes Dell’s Free Utility Toolbox for Virtual Machine Administrators
|Share.||Follow.||Join the conversation.|
- Foglight for Virtualization, Free Edition now contains six utilities that give virtual machine administrators 360-degree visibility into the virtualized environment
- Snapshot Explorer detects all snapshots, including orphaned snapshots, to avoid problems with performance and capacity
Dell Software today announced the latest release of Foglight for Virtualization, Free Edition, which now includes Snapshot Explorer to help virtual machine administrators keep track of orphaned snapshots, and eliminate the storage and performance problems that can result when they get lost in the virtual environment. Foglight for Virtualization, Free Edition 6.5.2 now supports Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization 3.1, along with VMware vSphere 5.1 and Microsoft Hyper-V 2012.
Virtual machine snapshots preserve the entire state of a running VM at a particular point in time. While the snapshot is active, all changes to the VM are captured in one or more delta disks. If they stay active too long, however, the delta files become too large and create problems with performance overhead and capacity. When vCenter loses control of snapshots, they become orphaned and can continue to stay active without detection. To help VM administrators better see orphaned snapshots, Dell has added Snapshot Explorer to the collection of free utilities in Foglight for Virtualization, Free Edition, 6.5.2.
- Snapshot Explorer eliminates the time-consuming and tedious need to track snapshots manually. It detects all snapshots, including orphaned snapshots, and provides all of this information at a glance.
- Snapshot Explorer provides VM administrators with advanced filters and a detailed snapshot list.
- Foglight for Virtualization, Free Edition, a single downloadable virtual appliance, now offers six free utilities:
- Snapshot Explorer, Environment Explorer, Change Explorer, Storage Explorer, vScope Explorer, and SearchMyVM Explorer
Like Tools in a Toolbox, Foglight for Virtualization, Free Edition Utilities Help VM Administrators fix Problems
- With its 360-degree visibility into the virtualized environment, Foglight for Virtualization, Free Edition enables VM administrators to see the entire environment ─ from the hypervisor level, to the virtual machine level, to the storage level.
- In addition to Snapshot Explorer, each of the free utilities offers deeper visibility to help VM administrators address problems wherever they occur throughout the virtualized environment:
- Environment Explorer provides at-a-glance information about performance, efficiency and capacity
- Change Explorer lists all changes that occur in a virtual environment, and provides associated risk impact
- Storage Explorer assesses storage performance and capacity across datastores and VMs
- vScope Explorer offers immediate identification of VMs, hosts and datastores suffering performance, capacity and efficiency issues
- SearchMyVM Explorer delivers search capabilities, similar to Google, of the virtual environment
- Foglight for Virtualization, Free Edition provides the functionality missing from native VM management solutions. As part of the Foglight for Virtualization family, it enables the user to unlock even more advanced functionality with a single click.
Mattias Sundling, product manager, Dell Software
“Virtual machine snapshots are a great feature if they’re used properly, but they can create severe performance and capacity problems in virtual environments if they’re kept active for too long. Snapshot Explorer provides a single pane of glass with a summary and detailed view of all snapshots across multiple hypervisors. This free utility rounds out Dell’s Foglight for Virtualization, Free Edition, and helps increase virtual datacenter ROI by optimizing existing workloads, and finding inefficiency and waste.