Dell Software Speeds Backup and Recovery with Tighter Integration Between NetVault and DR4100 Appliance
|Share.||Follow.||Join the conversation.|
- Combined solution leverages powerful deduplication and compression technology to ease the burden of rampant data growth
Dell Software today announced that NetVault® Backup, its enterprise data protection solution, has been fully integrated with the Dell DR4100, a scalable, disk backup appliance with built-in deduplication and compression capabilities. The integration is reflective of Dell Software’s ongoing effort to deliver integrated, end-to-end solutions that address today’s most salient customer challenges, including the need to transform data centers to deliver increased efficiency and scalability, and the need to protect critical data and information across the enterprise. Seamless integration between NetVault Backup and the DR4100 enables customers to minimize network traffic, shrink backup windows, and maximize storage savings while protecting critical data across a wide range of operating systems and applications running in complex physical and virtual environments.
The integration comes at a key time for customers grappling with the explosion of data across the enterprise. According to Gartner analyst Dave Russell, “The value of data reduction technologies, such as deduplication cannot be overstated. Deduplication improves the economics of disk-based backup and recovery approaches by reducing data — resulting in significantly lower disk requirements and cost, and providing more-efficient and faster replication of backup data to off-site locations.”
NetVault Backup now leverages the DR4100 Rapid Data Access (RDA) technology, providing a deeper level of integration and automation. NetVault retains end-to-end control of all backup tasks, while delegating control of storage management to the DR4100 appliance. This unique and powerful combination delivers a host of critical customer benefits, including:
- Faster backups. Tighter integration between NetVault and the DR4100 via RDA results in significantly faster backup rates. ESG Lab testing with multiple simultaneous streams validated a 7.5TB per hour ingest rate using this solution.
- Source-side deduplication. By way of the DR4100 advanced deduplication and compression technology, NetVault customers can now deduplicate data directly at the source of the backup. This source-side approach minimizes backup traffic over the network, while test results show the use of deduplication can reduce the overall storage footprint by up to 91 percent.
- Optimized replication for efficient disaster recovery. Customers can now schedule and manage replication of deduplicated data from one DR4100 appliance to another, directly from the NetVault Backup console, enabling a variety of disaster recovery and remote-office backup scenarios. NetVault is automatically made aware of the completion and location of replicated data copies, enabling fast restores and reliable disaster recovery.
- Consolidated tape storage. As data volumes grow and businesses become more distributed across remote sites, decentralized tape libraries have become increasingly expensive to maintain and time-consuming to manage. NetVault Backup customers can now ease that burden by replicating backup data from multiple DR4100 appliances to a single target, and then archiving that consolidated data to tape.
In addition to NetVault, Dell Software will deliver similar integration between the DR4100 and its vRanger® VMware backup, replication and recovery solution beginning in Q1 of calendar year 2014.
- NetVault Backup and the DR4100 are available direct from Dell and through the channel.
Scott Mills, chief security strategy officer, ISC8
“We have limited IT staff and had been using a hodgepodge of backup methods that were unreliable and required a lot of manual intervention. We were looking for a solution that would allow us to streamline our backup operations and meet our RTOs and RPOs at a cost-effective level. And we don't want to spend a lot of time on backup and recovery. We chose NetVault Backup and the DR4100 because the solution is now fully integrated. We are now able to centrally manage backup and recovery across our main data center and remote offices located in Asia, MENA, Europe, and the U.S. It's a simple solution, helping us to improve productivity and keep our end users focused on their core business functions."
Srinidhi Vardarajan, general manager, Data Protection, Dell Software
“As they grapple with exponential data growth, increasingly distributed systems, and the demand for data and services to be available and accessible at all times, organizations need backup and recovery solutions that are fast, reliable, and ─ above all else ─ easy to use. By leveraging the power of the Dell portfolio to deliver deep integration across the NetVault and DR4100 product lines, we’re bringing to market an end-to-end solution that enables customers to back up data in a faster, more efficient manner, while ensuring the organization is protected in the event of a disaster.”
Delivering Complete and Connected Software Solutions
Dell Software empowers companies of all sizes to experience Dell’s “Power to Do More” by delivering scalable yet simple-to-use solutions that can increase productivity, responsiveness and efficiency. Dell Software is uniquely positioned to address today’s most pressing business and IT challenges with holistic, connected software offerings across five core solution areas, encompassing data center and cloud management, information management, mobile workforce management, security and data protection. This software, when combined with Dell hardware and services, helps customers simplify IT, mitigate risk and accelerate business results.
Join us at Dell World 2013, Dell’s premier customer event exploring how technology solutions and services are driving business innovation. Learn more at www.dellworld.com and follow #DellWorld on Twitter.
Dell Inc. (NASDAQ: DELL) listens to customers and delivers innovative technology and services that give them the power to do more. For more information, visit www.dell.com.
Dell, NetVault, vRanger and DR4100 are trademarks of Dell Inc. Dell disclaims any proprietary interest in the marks and names of others.
 “Best Practices for Repairing the Broken State of Backup,” Dave Russell, Gartner, August 15, 2013
 “Dell Integrated Data Protection: DR4100 with NetVault,” Kerr y Dolan and Vinny Choinsky, ESG, September 2013