- Dell OEM showcases at CommunicAsia its latest server and storage solutions customized for an always-on world
- Singapore start-up 1degreenorth and embedded technologies provider Artesyn among Dell OEM customers at CommunicAsia
- Dell collaborate with industry partners including Red Hat and Calsoft Labs for NFV solutions
Dell, today, presented at CommunicAsia 2014 the mechanics behind its latest server and storage solutions, which were customized for Dell Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) Solutions customers. Dell OEM is proud of its extensive solution ecosystem, which provides the building block necessary for the growth of businesses. These include local high performance computing (HPC) architects 1degreenorth and embedded technologies provider Artesyn, who will be on site to demonstrate how their customized Dell OEM solutions has enabled them to grow their business smarter.
Embedded Computing Solutions
Taking advantage of Dell OEM’s global reach and end-to-end capabilities, telecommunications companies can bring their intellectual property to market faster and ultimately help lower operational expenses, increase profitability and simplify operations. Dell OEM solutions for telecommunications blends certified reliability and cost-effective components for high volume environments. Pre-configured storage and servers are based on open standards to help maximize compatibility, scalability and expandability for the highest possible level of stability. New server and storage solutions that will be showcased at CommunicAsia include Dell PowerEdge R420xr server and Dell PowerVault MD3400, MD3800 and MD3960 families. (Please find detailed product information at Appendix 1)
Dell OEM Solutions has worked with telecommunications companies for more than 15 years and has helped more than 2,100 global customers in 40 vertical markets configure and deliver customizable tier-one OEM technologies. Dell OEM Solutions continues to demonstrate momentum in APJ with new customer wins including:
- 1degreenorth, a Singapore start-up specializing in HPC, cloud infrastructures and business analytics, uses the Dell OEM server platform for its revolutionary NumaQ in-memory analytics appliance. 1degreenorth’s NumaQ turns servers into supercomputers at a fraction of the cost of traditional HPC systems. By working closely with Dell OEM Solutions, 1degreenorth is able to deliver high performance solutions based on Dell servers, faster and more efficiently, allowing customers to conduct real-time analytics with Symmetric Multiprocesser (SMP) performance at a cheaper cost.
- Artesyn Embedded Technologies, a global leader in the design and manufacture of highly reliable embedded computing solutions, uses Dell OEM server platforms for the company’s SharpMedia™ media processing appliance. Artesyn’s SharpMedia is used by communications equipment companies worldwide to provide new network voice and video services with higher density, lower power and a smaller footprint than traditional solutions. Working with Dell helps Artesyn deliver media processing solutions to its customers faster, more efficiently and with excellent support.
Network Functions Virtualization
Dell believes Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) can help solve technology challenges in the telecommunications industry, transforming it through an open, disaggregated, cloud-based and data-driven approach. As such, Dell became a founding member of CloudNFV, a consortium dedicated to developing, testing and implementing a cloud-based NFV model. Dell, specifically Dell Research, is leading the CloudNFV group, continuing the company’s long history of championing open and standard solutions to provide customers with choice and consistency across multiple technologies. To complement Dell server and storage offerings, Dell Networking has been shipping Software Defined Network (SDN)-enabled networking fabric products and solutions to enterprises, forming a solid basis for NFV solutions.
As Dell OEM continues to develop new capabilities to better serve the complex needs of its customers, the need for a comprehensive partner ecosystem becomes increasingly important. These include long-term collaborations with Red Hat and Calsoft Labs to provide organizations in the telecommunications industry more options by utilizing an open, disaggregated, cloud-based and data-driven approach.
- Dell extended its co-engineering agreement with Red Hat to include NFV and SDN solutions built specifically for the telecom segment to help operators increase infrastructure agility and reduce costs. Dell and Red Hat will also offer solutions based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform to better enable scalable, open infrastructures so operators can focus on driving innovation with new telecom services instead of worrying about infrastructure logistics. The Dell-Red Hat collaboration combines Dell’s scalable, end-to-end solutions and services with Red Hat’s open-source software and intelligent systems to create a high-performance, cost-effective, and flexible infrastructure foundation so telecommunications companies can transform their business and gain a competitive advantage.
- Calsoft Labs, an Alten Group company, is collaborating with Dell as a value-added reseller (VAR) and systems integrator to deliver NFV and SDN solutions that include the latest Dell OEM products. Calsoft Labs offers a suite of high-performance virtual network functions (VNFs), OpenStack-based NFV orchestration framework and professional services for staging VNFs in a telco datacenter, integration with service delivery platforms, service roll-out management and operations support. Calsoft Labs utilizes Dell PowerEdge products based on the latest Intel Xeon processor E5-2600 v2 product family to offer unmatched scalability, expandability and NEBS-certified reliability with Dell’s established, high-ranking services and support. Together, Dell and Calsoft Labs will offer complete NFV solutions comprising hardware, software and systems integration services to telecom operators worldwide working to virtualize network functions as part of their network transformation initiatives.
- “Expanding our co-engineering agreement with Dell to also focus on the telecommunications industry was an obvious next step to better serve telcos and fully utilize both the strengths of Red Hat and Dell,” said Radhesh Balakrishnan, general manager, Virtualization and OpenStack, Red Hat. “We’re committed to jointly engineering OpenStack-based NFV and SDN solutions built on Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform to help telecommunications customers take full advantage of such transformative technologies to in turn, transform their business.”
- “NumaQ by 1degreenorth is a new generation of in-memory analytics appliance targeted at our enterprise customers who are looking to perform real-time big data analysis,” said Dr Zhaopei, VP of Business Development, 1degreenorth Pte Ltd. “The partnership with Dell OEM is a deliberate decision as Dell was able to provide our customers with a trusted and proven enterprise hardware. We were able to focus on developing the NumaQ software while Dell took care of all the hardware and logistics necessities on our behalf. It is a win-win partnership.”
- “Calsoft Labs integration and product development services in NFV, SDN and Big Data markets are powered with Dell OEM solutions,” said Narendra Dhara, senior vice president of engineering and CTO, Calsoft Labs. “With Dell server products we can offer scalable and carrier grade cloud infrastructure and a platform to deploy our customer solutions enabling us to achieve tremendous performance on solutions developed on Dell hardware.”
- “Dell is pleased to work closely with industry innovators such as 1degreenorth to customize and bring affordable and high performance solutions based on Dell servers to market faster and more efficiently. Dell OEM Solution’s market insight, flexibility and speed in delivering tailored solutions separate us from other manufacturers and integrators,” said Glen Burrows, General Manager, OEM Solutions, Dell APJ. “To continue that differentiation, we’re extending our collaboration with Red Hat and teaming with Calsoft Labs to deliver NFV and SDN solutions, for which the telecommunications industry is clearly hungry. Through our work with Red Hat and Calsoft Labs, together we’re helping the telecommunications industry to transform by implementing such disruptive technology approaches.”
- The Dell PowerEdge R420xr ruggedized server, PowerVault MD3400, MD3800 and MD3960 series are available in APJ.
- The co-engineered Dell-Red Hat OpenStack-based NFV and SDN solutions are available in APJ.
- Calsoft Labs’ NFV and SDN solutions are available in APJ.
To learn more about Dell OEM Solutions for telecommunications companies and see a demonstration of the Dell PowerEdge 420XR ruggedized server, stop by Dell OEM’s booth BN307 during CommunicAsia 2014.
Dell Inc. listens to customers and delivers innovative technology and services that give them the power to do more. For more information, visit www.dell.com
Dell OEM Solutions helps its customers find more balance between execution and innovation with dedicated OEM resources, industry-standard hardware and global services and support capabilities. Dell helps its OEM customers improve their time to revenue and run their operations more efficiently for increased competitive edge. Learn more at www.dell.com/oem
About Red Hat
Red Hat is a trademark of Red Hat, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Linux® is the registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and other countries. The OpenStack mark is either a registered trademark/service mark or trademark/service mark of the OpenStack Foundation, in the United States and other countries, and is used with the OpenStack Foundation's permission. Red Hat is not affiliated with, endorsed or sponsored by the OpenStack Foundation, or the OpenStack community.