Dell Goes Beyond the Data to Add Identity Analysis to Integrated Data Governance Solution
Dell Software today announced the release of Dell Quest One™ Identity Manager ─ Data Governance Edition Classification Module, the latest comprehensive solution that adds identity to the classification of unstructured data. This updated solution is being delivered in response to customers’ imperatives around protecting themselves from evolving internal and external threats, and is a key piece of Dell’s overall Connected Security* solution portfolio.
While other solutions simply classify data, Dell’s Quest One Identity Manager – Data Governance Edition Classification Module, discovers and classifies all new and old unstructured data, and goes beyond the data to show who has access and how it was obtained, to improve regulatory compliance and business agility.
As unstructured data continues to grow at record rates, related risks within the organization also are increasing. The need to identify and secure this data, likewise, is growing in volume and complexity. A new enterprise survey conducted by Dell Software shows that:
- 52 percent of respondents have experienced at least 25 percent year-over-year growth in unstructured data across their organizations
- 63 percent stated that less than 25 percent of their organization’s data is currently classified as confidential and protected with additional security policies
- 45 percent are not confident in the security of their organization’s classified unstructured data
The survey results show that data in many organizations is growing, yet remains unprotected, presenting a significant security risk. To limit an organization’s exposure and risk, all data ─ both structured and unstructured ─ must be protected, and that protection starts with user access.
Quest One Identity Manager and the Data Governance Edition solution set provide context around users, showing what they have access to in terms of entitlements to applications, roles within the company, and even geographical location. The integrated Classification Module adds the ability to discover and classify unstructured data contained in files and add context to that data.
Quest One Identity Manager ─ Data Governance Edition Classification Module also boosts compliance, helping the organization ensure that only the right person has access to the data. In the event of a security breach, or following an audit, the most accurate forensic information can quickly be obtained, showing exactly what the user had access to, whether any of that data was classified, who approved the access, and the last time access entitlement was reviewed.
This new offering is one more step in advancing Dell Software's strategy to enable IT to drive connected security across the organization, offering protection both from inside and outside the company walls.
Quest One Identity Manager ─ Data Governance Edition Classification Module integrates the new Classification Module with identity and data governance to provide the following new features:
- MRI scan of the data ─ Finds, identifies and classifies unstructured data, and produces a Management Risk Index (MRI) report showing a heat map of the organization’s infrastructure, pinpointing the location of hot spots of unstructured data that contain the most risk.
- Data classification risk levels ─ Assigns risk levels to data based on classification, providing clarity and enabling the business owner to see the level of risk for both the user and the data resource to which they are requesting access.
- RapidView Summary ─ Finds, categorizes and organizes sensitive data such as credit card numbers and PII, based on content and context of access risk. Shows what kind of sensitive information is contained in unstructured data files without the need to manually evaluate them.
- SecureTag for Eyes Only ─ Allows sensitive, unstructured data throughout the organization to be tagged according to compliance regulations, use, sensitivity, etc. The organization then can establish and enforce rules for how all existing and newly created sensitive unstructured data is treated, who may access it, and where it is stored.
- Location-based tracking ─ Helps ensure the organization is meeting compliance requirements for any country in which the data is located. Data can be classified across the globe. In the event of a breach, the business owner can see where the data is located, who has access to it, and the classification level of the data set.
Ash Motiwala, CTO, Identropy
“With the explosion of unstructured data, it’s critical to be able to analyze all of it to prevent costly, damaging data breaches from occurring. With Dell’s integrated solution, we can offer our customers a complete data governance solution that enables them to see all sides of their unstructured data ─ what’s in it, where it’s located, how much risk it carries ─ and they can see it in the context of users who access the data. Quest One Identity Manager ─ Data Governance Edition Classification Module is a smart, new data identity solution that gives our customers the ability to look further into their organizations and help gain more return on their investment.”
Martin Kuppinger, founder and principal analyst, KuppingerCole
“Dell Quest One Identity Manager Suite, including the recently released Data Governance Edition, is a leading product in the access governance market. It incorporates easy-to-use capabilities for access request management, strong role management, and other standard access governance using unique characteristics that include the ability to roll back collected audit data to earlier points in time. Dell provides a strong feature set with a high degree of flexibility, that’s fairly easy to customize, and I recommend that companies should have a deeper look into this solution when evaluating Access Governance products.”
John Milburn, executive director, Identity and Access Management Solutions, Dell Software
“Our solution’s unique capability to add identity to unstructured data can improve security, compliance and business agility. Business owners can better manage data assets when they know what’s in the data itself, and can assign a risk level for each user, depending on what other permissions the user has. The Quest One Identity Manager ─ Data Governance Edition Classification Module gives business owners insight into both the data, and the roles and responsibilities of users, so they can make informed decisions on access requests to help further reduce the organization’s exposure to risk.”
Pricing and Availability:
Quest One Identity Manager ─ Data Governance Edition Classification Module will be generally available on June 10 for $35USD* per enabled user. Though the Classification Module requires the purchase of Quest One Identity Manager ─ Data Governance Edition to function, the module can be purchased separately by those who already own Quest One Identity Manager ─ Data Governance Edition.
Part of Dell Connected Security
Dell’s Connected Security vision and portfolio of solutions gives customers the power to solve their biggest security and compliance challenges today from device to datacenter to cloud in a connected and contextual way. With this set of powerful and Connected Security solutions Dell’s customers can mitigate risks and as a result accelerate their results.
Dell Inc. (NASDAQ: DELL) listens to customers and delivers innovative technology and services that give them the power to do more. For more information, visit www.dell.com and www.quest.com.