Formerly known as Thinstall, VMware® ThinApp™ helps you upgrade operating systems without having to upgrade or replace legacy applications. Generate Microsoft® Windows® Installer (MSI) files that can be registered with the underlying host OS to easily plug into your existing desktop management systems without painful integrations.
Package and Run Applications Without Installation
Run software applications on a single OS. You can even run multiple versions of the same application. Plug VMware ThinApp into your existing management infrastructure and help accelerate your software development and desktop deployment. VMware can help you deliver and deploy applications efficiently, securely and cost-effectively with Agentless Application Virtualization. VMware helps you:
- Package each application with its own dynamic-link library (DLL) file and registry changes to eliminate installation conflicts
- Execute applications on locked-down PCs in 100 percent user mode
- Run applications from any media without needing admin privileges
100 Percent Agentless Application Virtualization
- Application isolation — Isolated applications run in a virtual bubble in restricted user accounts without requiring any host modification. Deploy Office 97, 2003, 2007 and .NET applications on the same OS, without conflict, as the applications run independent of one another.
- Zero-runtime execution — With no installed agent, no footprint is left on the endpoint device. Applications run directly from the compressed state without first caching data to the hard disk, achieving better performance and security of data.
- 100 percent User Mode execution — Client runs on locked-down, unmanaged kiosk PCs without admin rights to execute applications, enabling it to be used on managed and unmanaged PCs.
- Block-by-block network streaming — Virtualized applications execute when the minimum amount of code required to run the application is available in the desktop’s memory.
- Sandbox environments for terminal services — Provide sandboxing for applications running in a terminal services environment so that multiple users can run their own sandboxed application without affecting each other.
- 64-bit OS support — VMware ThinApp enables applications to be virtualized and run on 64-bit systems.
- Execution on thin clients — It's tested and certified to run virtualized applications on Windows® XP-based thin clients.
- Compatibility with a broad range of applications — Deployment can be done on simple-to-complex applications, ranging from basic Microsoft Office to custom applications with Java or .NET.
Conflict-Free Application Delivery
- Active directory integration
- Execution from USB key with portable profiles/user settings
- Integration with third-party application management solutions
- Application sync for mobile users