The company takes sales online in 1996, setting the bar for ecommerce worldwide. The world keeps getting smaller as Dell rapidly expands its global operations.
- Dell.com launches, generating $1 million in sales per day just six months after the site went live.
- The first Asia-Pacific Customer Center is opened in Penang, Malaysia.
- We launch Premier Pages for our corporate customers, establishing customized extranet sites on Dell.com for purchase and support.
- We open our second manufacturing center in Texas and achieve the lowest inventory levels in the industry at 15 days.
- Dell launches its Dell Precision™ line of workstations to target high-end, high-performance graphics application users.
- Our 10-millionth PC is shipped.
- We open a new integrated sales, manufacturing and support center in Xiamen, China and announce manufacturing sites in Ireland, Brazil and the United States.
- We round out our data center offerings with the PowerVault™ series — a robust line of storage products, including a fibre channel-based storage subsystem.
- By the end of the year, Dell is ranked No. 1 in PCs in the U.S., No. 1 worldwide in PCs for large and medium businesses and No. 1 in worldwide workstation shipments.
- We open manufacturing operations in Eldorado do Sul, Brazil, to better serve our customers in Latin America.
- We take technical support online with eSupport, an online tool that facilitates and delivers technical support via the internet.