Enhanced scalability and performance.
Enterprise-class scale-out NAS with competitive TCO, up to 4PB in a single file system & over 20PB in a single global namespace.
- CPU per controller
Dual Intel E5620 4 core / 12MB L3/ 80W / 2.4GHz
- Capacity scalability
Up to 4PB usable file capacity per NAS cluster, regardless of controller cluster size (requires multiple Storage Centers to reach max capacity)
Up to 4 FS8600 appliances (8 controllers) in a single NAS cluster
- 8Gb FC configuration options
Frontend and interconnect traffic (two options):
1GbE: (2) Intel 1GbE quad-port NICs per controller, copper only, RJ-45
10GbE: (2) Intel 10GbE dual-port NICs per controller, copper/optical, SFP+ standards
Backend: (1) QLogic dual-port FC HBA per controller, SFP+ standards
Switch is required; direct connect to the SAN is not supported
10Gb iSCSI configuration options
Frontend: (1) Intel 10GbE dual-port NIC per controller, copper/optical, SFP+ standards
Backend and interconnect: (1) Intel 10GbE dual-port NIC per controller, copper/optical, SFP+ standards
Switch is required; direct connect to the SAN is not supported; upgrades from FC to iSCSI or vice versa are not supported
- FS8600 with FluidFS version 6 Specifications
Storage arrays supported
SCv2080, SC4020, SC7020, SC8000 and SC9000 controllers
SCOS 6.5.3 or newer; Dell Storage Manager 2016 R3.1 or newer
- NFS v3 file protocol support
NFS over UDP and TCP, Kerberos 5 security options, UTF8 and ASCII support, NLM
NFS v4 file protocol support
Kerberos 5 security options, UTF8 and ASCII support, pseudo file system, locking, share modes and access control lists (ACLs)
NFS 4.1 file protocol support
Core features (no pNFS support), Kerberos 5 security options
SMB file protocol support
SMB 1.0, 2.0, 2.1, 3.0 and 3.1
Persistent file handles, SMB BranchCache, SMB sparse files, persistent file handles, continuous availability, SMB signing and encryption (MD5, HMAC-SHA-256, SMB 3 AES), large MTU, file leases and oplocks
Full support for client IPv6 and IPv4 connections, including load balancing mechanism and access control for NFS exports, LACP
Max NAS volumes per NAS cluster: 1,024
Max NAS volume size: as large as the file system
Max number of CIFS shares per system: 1,024
Max number of NFS mounts/exports per system: 1,024
Concurrent active CIFS connections
Max for single appliance: 30,000 (for 48GB appliances)
Max for a 4-appliance cluster: 120,000
("active" defined as clients engaging in I/O in the last 15 minutes)
For SMB clients: Kerberos 5 and NTLM v2 on Microsoft Active Directory Server; for NFS v4, 4.1 clients: Kerberos 5 Multitenancy support for different Active Directory forests per tenant
Directory and name services
Windows SMB and NFS clients: Microsoft® Active Directory® 2003, 2003R2, 2008, 2008R2, 2012, 2012R2, 2016; Linux/UNIX clients: NIS, LDAP, DNS
Max quota rules per volume: 1,024
Max user quotas per system: 1,024
Max number of local users per cluster: 100
Max number of local groups per cluster: 100
Max number of directories per appliance: 32 billion
Max number of directories per 4-appliance cluster: 128 billion
Max number of files in a directory: 1 million
Max directory depth: 255
Max file size: 128TB
Max number of files per appliance: Unlimited
Max number of files per 4-appliance cluster: Unlimited
Max file name length: 255 bytes
Redirect-on-write snapshots and thin volume cloning
Max number of snapshots per NAS volume: 10,000
Max number of snapshots per FS8600 system: 100,000
Max number of snapshot policies per system: 1,024
Asynchronous to peer FS8600 appliance(s), (client network speeds and array configurations can vary)
Max number of replication partners (or destinations): 100
Max number of replication policies per FS8600 system: 1,024
Max number of simultaneous volume replications: 10 outgoing, 100 incoming
Max volumes enabled for replication: 1,024
Support for 1:N and cascading replication
Certified Remote or three-way NDMP over Ethernet ports; direct or two-way NDMP over Fibre Channel ports. Quest NetVault Backup 9; CommVault Simpana 9.x; Symantec NetBackup 7.x and Backup Exec 2010R3 and 2012, EMC Networker 8.0
Certified with Symantec ScanEngine 5.2 and Protection Engine 7.0; McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise 8.8 and Enterprise for Storage 1.0.2; Sophos Endpoint Security and Control 10.0; TrendMicro InterScan Web Security
File-level and block-level NAS volume- or file system-level thin provisioning to oversubscribe the file system capacity visible to users
Post-process policy-based variable block (128KB +/- 64KB) data deduplication and LZPS compression configured per NAS volume
- Dell Storage Manager, FluidFS v5 CLI, PowerShell, RESTful API, SNMP, MMC
- Form factor
8.64 cm (3.4 in)
44.63 cm (17.6 in) (does not include rack flange)
81.30 cm (32.0 in) (includes bezel and controllers installed)
69.5 lbs. (31.5 kg)
ReadyRails II static rails for tool-less mounting in 4-post racks with square or unthreaded round holes or tooled mounting in 4-post threaded-hole racks
- Primary power supply
2 PSUs per appliance
Backup power supply
1 battery per controller, 2 batteries per appliance
10.5Amp at 90 VAC steady state, 5.2Amp at 180 VAC steady state
Environmental Operating Conditions
Operating: 10° to 40°C
Non-operating: -40°C to 70°C
Operating: 8% to 85% non-condensing
Non-operating: 5% to 95% non-condensing
Operating: 0.26 GRMS (5-350Hz @ 0.0002G2/Hz for 5 minutes)
Non-operating: 1.88 GRMS @ 10-500 Hz
Optimized platform for high speed, low TCOWith the Dell Fluid File System version 6 (FluidFS v6), the enterprise-class FS8600 is one of the most competitive price-per-performance scale-out NAS solutions available, cost-effectively delivering high file operations per second (OPS). This efficient combination works together to scale performance and capacity, achieving:
- Linear performance expansion reaching 494,000 file opens with SPEC SFS 2008 and 11.9 GB/sec max throughput*
- Improved performance through mirrored cache and automated load balancing, even as you add more data
- Up to four FS8600 NAS appliances and eight SC series storage arrays in a single scale-out storage solution
Flexible architecture for multiple workloadsScale up or scale out to accommodate a variety of use cases, whether high-performance, high-capacity or both:
- Enterprise file sharing: Consolidate shares on a single unified storage solution with data protection and governance features.
- Video surveillance: Combine scale-out architecture with high-density Dell storage arrays for a cost-effective, density-optimized Fluid File Video solution.
- Online archival storage: Economize storage costs by moving old files to lower-cost archive storage with Fluid File Archive solution.
- Media and entertainment: Enable post-production and visual effects rendering workflows with high-performance scale-out NAS storage.
- Healthcare and life sciences: Provide medical imaging and life sciences with PACS-application-certified unified NAS storage.
• Best storage density compared to the top five storage vendors, storing 1PB of raw capacity in 14U rack space*
• Low cost per GB of USD $0.18/GB for 1PB of raw capacity*
• Increased efficiency with scale-out architecture, flash optimization, automated tiering and built-in policy-driven, block-level deduplication and compression
• Unencumbered capacity with NAS thin provisioning and space reclamation
Scale-out performance and capacity on the flyExpand file storage performance and capacity within your existing infrastructure, transparently adding and managing drives, storage enclosures or NAS appliances as needed:
- Scale easily to 4PB in a single file system and over 20PB in a single namespace
- Enhance flexibility with multiple protocol support, including SMB, NFS and FTP
- Protect data locally using snapshots, NDMP backup, remote replication and snapshot archiving
- Simplify data management with Dell Storage Manager for managing SAN and NAS; file system quotas; file extension filtering; enhanced reporting and CLI, Powershell and REST management APIs
- Improve data security and governance with rich integration via Active Directory/LDAP, network isolation and support for file-system auditing like Change Auditor
- Multitenancy support to securely manage and deploy solutions for up to 100 tenants. Each tenant will have separate NAS access and management capabilities.
Global services and support
|Dell Services can help reduce IT complexity, lower costs and eliminate inefficiencies by making IT and business solutions work harder for you. The Dell Services team delivers distinctive capabilities, including Copilot support for FS8600 with SC4020, SC8000 and SC9000, and ProSupport for FS8600 for SCv2080, as well as optimization and full data migration |
End-to-end servicesDell offers a wide range of professional services to simplify the assessment, design, implementation, management and maintenance of your SC Series environment, including 24x7 Dell Copilot support with over 94 percent customer satisfaction*. Dell Services storage experts go beyond everyday administration to help you improve the performance and utilization of your Dell Storage Center system. The SC Series Services portfolio provides system installation and implementation as well as training. From disaster recovery planning to physical relocation, the Dell Services team is available to provide professional assistance when you need it.
Comprehensive, integrated supportOperating out of state-of-the-art global call centers, Dell Copilot engineers continuously monitor system performance and alert customers of potential issues. Dell Copilot Support provides:
- 24x7 access to highly trained Dell Copilot Support engineers
- Priority or next business day on-site response by certified technicians
- Priority, next business day or UPS ground delivery of replacement parts
- Storage system monitoring via integrated SupportAssist technology
Support TypeDell Copilot Support enables you to choose the right level of phone support, on-site* support and parts delivery for your unique business needs.
- Call center: Perfect for enterprise storage environments that need immediate phone assistance. Every call is answered by a highly trained Copilot engineer who takes ownership of the entire storage infrastructure, including third-party technology partner products.
- On-site: Choose from priority (4/8/24-hour, depending on location) or next business day on-site* response by a certified technician.
- Parts delivery: Choose from priority (4/8/24-hour, depending on location) or next business day parts delivery. UPS ground shipping also available.
ProtectionFor your data management and protection, Dell Copilot Support offers warranty* protection for hardware components. The Software Subscription includes perpetual software licensing for patches, updates and releases, so the only additional fees you incur are when adding new functionality or more capacity.
Premium SupportAdditionally, Dell Copilot SupportAssist provides enhanced proactive support capabilities through:
- Remote monitoring of system capacity and performance
- Automatic capacity threshold alerts
- Proactive calls from Copilot engineer to notify customer of possible issues
Optimize your storage performanceThrough the personal assistance of a dedicated support expert, Dell Copilot Optimize can help you improve system utilization and performance with proactive reviews, health checks and evaluations. It includes proactive IT planning to ensure your Storage Center systems evolve with your changing data center requirements. Daily system performance monitoring helps ensure a highly available and optimal performing storage area network (SAN). Ongoing best practice guidance from your storage expert helps minimize diagnostic troubleshooting and reduce service calls. Should an issue arise, your support expert will work with Copilot to ensure a timely resolution.
Implement fast. Implement correctly. Implement once.Dell ProDeploy Enteprise Suite* can reduce costs and relieve your IT department of time-consuming implementation tasks that otherwise divert valuable IT resources from business-critical activities. We bring two unmatched values to every implementation: deep knowledge of our products and broad experience from performing thousands of deployments every year, in just about every type of customer environment. You can be confident that your new SC Series storage system is installed properly, configured per the design specifications and that your data is migrated safely from your legacy storage system without disruption.
Start on the right pathDecrease downtime, improve utilization and ensure business continuity with storage training from Dell Education Services. With SC Series training from Dell, SC Series Administrators will learn to perform key administrative tasks for Storage Center and effectively manage all tools associated with Storage Center operations.
Transform your data centerDell Storage Consulting Services can help you develop transformational strategies to meet your complex data management business needs while freeing up valuable resources, budget and time. Consulting services can help with:
• Storage infrastructure consolidation within one/multiple data centers
• Storage infrastructure optimization for virtual environments
• Data protection process development or improvement of backup operational processes
• Classification and categorization of data for storage tiering
• IT Disaster Recovery planning, design and implementation or simply Data Disaster Recovery