Purpose-Built for Reliability
Server Reliability: A Long-Term Goal
Dell customers have told us they need a server manufacturer that inspires confidence through its reliability, availability and quality of products. By listening to and focusing on what our customers want, we’ve set a simple reliability goal: Deliver quality products that stand the test of time.
To help meet this goal, Dell is dedicated to improving reliability processes by:
- Employing robust validation and testing processes for durable product design
- Verifying that each supplier meets Dell’s stringent quality standards
- Utilising robust, durable industrial materials to enable long product lifecycles
- Introducing a Unified Server Configurator (USC), which helps to minimize downtime by offering embedded and persistent diagnostics with no media required
- Improving redundancy generation over generation with features such as dual internal SD modules that provide failover at the hypervisor level
- Implementing a "one-touch" quality-control process designed to ensure that one person is responsible for the entire server build
- Ensuring that every fully configured Dell server is tested — and retested — before it leaves the factory
Intelligent, Connected Systems Management
Along with its adherence to open standards, Dell’s systems-management portfolio focuses on simplicity, efficiency, cost containment and cost reduction. Additionally, we’ve integrated our management solutions with third-party offerings to provide your organisation with a holistic focus across the solutions stack.
- Purpose-built to provide a reliable foundation, and balanced with next-generation AMD processors, advanced memory capacity and energy-efficient technologies, the Dell™ PowerEdge™ R815 offers an ideal combination of value and performance.
- Featuring AMD Opteron™ processor technology, the PowerEdge R815 is designed to handle demanding workloads with outstanding speed, stability, efficiency and bottom-line value. The PowerEdge R815 offers an ideal solution for virtualization, medium to large databases, email, high-performance computing (HPC) environments and other highly threaded applications.
- Dell aims to bring value to your business by including the features you need for your specific IT environment. Our goal is to deliver outstanding performance and value through tailored, intelligent platforms based on industry standards and purposeful, innovative design.
Along with rising energy costs, limitations on space, power and cooling capacity present enormous challenges for IT. PowerEdge servers drive energy efficiency as a design standard while delivering the performance you need to meet cost and environmental goals. Our energy-efficient system design, built with Energy Smart technologies, can help to manage power in your specific environment.
- AMD® Opteron® 6100 series processors based on AMD Opteron 6000 series platform
- Microsoft® Windows Server® 2008 SP2, x86/x64 (x64 includes Hyper-V™ )
Microsoft® Windows Server® 2008 R2 SP1, x64 (includes Hyper-V™ v2)
Windows® HPC Server 2008 R2
Novell® SUSE® Linux® Enterprise Server
Red Hat® Enterprise Linux®
VMware® vSphere™ 4.1 (including VMware ESX® 4.1 or VMware ESXi™ 4.1)
For more information on the specific versions and additions, visit www.dell.com/OSsupport.
- AMD (SR5650, SR5670 and SP5100)
- Up to 512GB (32 DIMM Slots): 1GB/2GB/4GB/8GB/16GB 1333MHz
- Hot-plug Hard Drive Options:
2.5" SATA SSD, SAS (10K, 15K), Near Line SAS (7.2K), SATA (7.2K)
Maximum Internal Storage:
Up to 6TB
For information about Dell external storage options, visit Dell.com/Storage.
- Hot-Swap options available:
Up to six 2.5” SATA SSD, SAS, nearline SAS, or SATA drives
- 6 PCIe G2 slots + 1 Storage slot:
Five x8 slots (Three with x16 connectors)
One x4 slot(with x8 connectors)
One x4 Storage slot(with x8 connectors)
- Internal Controllers:
PERC H200 (6Gb/s)
PERC H700 (6Gb/s) with 512MB battery-backed cache; 512MB, 1G Non-Volatile battery-backed cache
PERC 6/i with 256MB battery-backed cache
PERC H800 (6Gb/s) with 512MB of battery-backed cache; 512MB, 1G Non-Volatile battery-backed cache
PERC 6/E with 256MB or 512MB of battery-backed cache
External HBAs (non-RAID):
6Gbps SAS HBA
SAS 5/E HBA
LSI2032 PCIe SCSI HBA
- Two Dual-Port Broadcom 5709C Gigabit NICs
- Intel® 10GBase-T Copper Single Port NIC, PCI-E x8
Intel® Single Port Server Adapter, 10Gigabit, SR Optical, PCI-E x8
Broadcom® BMC57710 10Base-T Copper Single Port NIC, PCI-E x8
Intel® Gigabit ET Dual Port Server Adapter
Intel® Gigabit ET Quad Port Server Adapter
Broadcom® NetXtreme™ II 57711 Dual Port 10Gb Eth SFP+
Brocade CNA Dual port adapter
Emulex® CNA iSCSI HBA stand up adapter OCE10102-IX-D
Emulex® CNA iSCSI HBA stand up adapter OCE10102-FX-D
Broadcom® BMC57710 10Base-T Copper Single Port NIC, PCI-E x8
Optional add in HBAs:
Qlogic® QLE 2462 FC4 Dual Port 4 Gbps Fiber Channel HBA
Qlogic® QLE 220 FC4 Single Port 4 Gbps Fiber Channel HBA
Qlogic® QLE 2460 FC4 Single Port 4 Gbps Fiber Channel HBA
Qlogic® QLE2562 FC8 Dual-channel HBA, PCI-E Gen 2 x4
Qlogic® QLE2560 FC8 Single-channel HBA, PCI-E Gen 2 x4
Emulex® LPe-1150 FC4 Single Port 4 Gbps Fiber Channel HBA, PCI-E x4
Emulex® LPe-11002 FC4 Dual Port 4 Gbps Fiber Channel HBA, PCI-E x4
Emulex® LPe-12000, FC8 Single Port 4 Gbps Fiber Channel HBA, PCI-E Gen 2 x4
Emulex® LPe-12002, FC8 Dual Port 4 Gbps Fiber Channel HBA, PCI-E Gen 2 x4
Brocade FC4 and 8 GB HBAs
- One hot-pluggable non-redundant 1100W power supply
Two hot-pluggable redundant 1100W power supplies
- Hot-plug hard drives, Hot-plug redundant power, dual SD modules, ECC memory, and an interactive LCD screen
- Matrox G200eW w/ 8MB
GPU & Chassis
- Rack Chassis
3.40" H x 18.99" W x 28.25" D
9 cm H x 48 cm W x 72 cm D
Sliding ReadyRails™ for 4-post racks, static ReadyRails™ for 4-post and 2-post racks, and optional support for cable management arm
- Dell™ OpenManage™
BMC, IPMI 2.0 compliant
iDRAC6 Express, with optional upgrade to iDRAC6 Enterprise and vFlash
Microsoft® System Center Essential (SCE) 2010 v2
|The Value of Dell Storage: |
Dell’s open, standards-based solutions let customers of all sizes integrate new technologies without sacrificing performance or their existing IT investments.
|Direct-Attached Storage: |
The Dell™ PowerVault™ MD storage family offers easy and economical expansion for Dell PowerEdge™ servers enabling high availability and scalability for demanding business applications.
|Disk-to-Disk Backup |
Due to expanding volumes of data that must be backed up and protected along with shrinking backup windows, many IT departments have moved to or added disk-based backups.
|Network-Attached Storage |
Network attached storage (NAS) is a specialized storage server with its own IP address that is made available to multiple clients and servers on a local area network (LAN) or wide area network (WAN).
|Object-Based Storage |
The Dell DX Object Storage Platform is designed to intelligently access, store, protect and distribute fixed digital content.
|Storage Area Network |
A storage area network (SAN) is a network of shared storage devices, such as disk storage arrays and tape automation
|Tape Backup |
Considered the first and last line of defense against data loss, tape and removable disks can be used for long-term data storage and backup.
|Unified Storage |
Unified Storage is a term that describes the ability to manage both file- and block-level data.
Please contact your Local Partner for further information.
Lifecycle Controller enabled embedded management
The Lifecycle Controller is the engine for advanced embedded management and is delivered as part of the iDRAC Express or optional iDRAC Enterprise in the PowerEdge R815. The Lifecycle Controller is a chip that is integrated on the server. It helps to simplify administrator tasks by performing a complete set of provisioning functions such as system deployment, system updates, hardware configuration and diagnostics from a single intuitive interface called Unified Server Configurator (USC) in a pre-OS environment. This eliminates the need to use and maintain multiple pieces of disparate CD/DVD media.
Dell Management Console
Open, flexible, integrated - manage your infrastructure, not your management consoles. With the introduction of DellTM Management Console powered by Altiris® from Symantec™ , Dell is doing for systems management what we did for computer hardware, taking a complex, proprietary industry technology and transforming it by delivering a simple, streamlined, modular solution best adapted to your specific management needs.
Microsoft Exchange 2010
Does your business depend on robust messaging capabilities? Exchange 2010 is the right tool for the job and Dell is the right partner to deliver a complete user to datacenter solution. Exchange 2010 running on Dell's innovative hardware platform provides you a superior messaging and collaboration solution.
Dell Management Plug-in for VMware vCenter What if you could manage your physical infrastructure from your virtual console? What if you could rapidly and consistently provision hardware and deploy virtual machines from within VMware vCenter? What if you could reduce the number of steps needed to deploy virtual infrastructure?
With the Dell Management Plug-In for VMware vCenter installed in your VMware environment, you can:
And, to give you even more power, we deliver our plug-in as a virtual appliance. That makes it easier to deploy and configure and offers integration directly into the vCenter console, providing more information inside of vCenter itself — unlike many other vendors who provide only "link-and-launch" capabilities to point to their own proprietary consoles.
The combination of the Dell Management Plug-In for VMware vCenter and the revolutionary embedded management features offered by Integrated Dell Remote Access Controller (iDRAC) with Lifecycle Controller in Dell PowerEdge servers gives you an unmatched level of integration between vCenter and your server hardware.