Brocade switching technology integrated with Dell M1000e blade architecture
The Brocade® M5424 is a flexible platform that delivers advanced functionality, performance, manageability, scalability and security.
- Ideal for larger storage area networks (SANs)
- Integration of SAN switching capabilities that can help to reduce complexity and increase SAN manageability
- Up to 16 internal fabric ports and up to 8 2GB/4GB/8GB auto-sensing uplinks
HighlightsThe Brocade® M5424 switch and the Dell™ PowerEdge™ M1000e blade enclosure provide robust solutions for Fibre Channel SAN deployments. Not only does this offering help simplify and reduce the amount of SAN hardware components required for a deployment, but it also maintains the scalability, performance, interoperability and management of traditional SAN environments.
Fast, Reliable 8-Gbit/sec Performance
- Non-blocking and non-oversubscribed platform with an aggregate bandwidth of 128 Gbit/sec end-to-end
- Optional adaptive networking services, including adaptive fabric quality of service, traffic isolation and ingress rate limiting, enabling organizations to maintain optimized application performance in virtual environments
Excellent Value for a Variety of SAN Environments
- Easily integrate Fibre Channel (FC) technology into new or existing Storage Area Network (SAN) environments using the PowerEdge M1000e blade enclosure, Brocade® M5424 and Dell/EMC storage
- New platform combines with Brocade® 8Gb edge switches from Dell to extends the next generation dynamic Data Center Fabric features of Brocade® backbone DCX architecture to the Dell PowerEdge M1000e Chassis.
Fibre Channel ports
- 24 ports universal ports (E_Port, F_Port, and N_Port) available in all three models:
24-port Enterprise Performance Pack Edition (includes eight pre-installed 8Gb SFP+ transceivers) plus Enterprise software licenses for Adaptive Networking, ISL Trunking, Fabric Watch, and Advanced Performance Monitoring
24-port model (includes four pre-installed 8Gb SFP+ transceivers)
12-port model (includes two pre-installed 8Gb SFP+ transceivers) – upgradeable to 24-port model through optional 12-port upgrade license kit
- Full fabric architecture with 239 switches maximum
- Single Brocade FOS fabric: 56 domains, 19 hops Single Brocade M-EOS fabric: 31 domains, 3 hops Larger fabrics certified as required; consult Brocade or OEM SAN design documents for configuration details
- Brocade 2XXX, 3XXX, 4XXX, 5XXX and Director family switches. AG Mode supports Brocade, McData and Cisco fabrics
- 8.5 Gbit/sec line speed, full duplex;
4.25 Gbit/sec line speed, full duplex;
2.125 Gbit/sec line speed, full duplex
1.063 Gbit/sec line speed, full duplex;
auto-sensing of 8, 4, 2, and 1 Gbit/sec port
speeds; optionally programmable to fixed port
speed; speed matching between 8, 4, 2, and
1 Gbit/sec ports
- Inter-Switch Link (ISL) Trunking allows all eight external SAN ports to be combined to form a single, logical ISL with an aggregate bandwidth of 64Gb delivering scalable I/O bandwidth utilization and load balancing.
- 384 Gbit/sec end-to-end (full duplex)
- 700 ns with no contention, cut through routing at 8 Gbit/sec
Maximum frame size
- 2112-byte payload
Classes of Service
- Class 2, Class 3, Class F (inter-switch frames)
- FL_Port, F_Port, M_Port (Mirror Port), and E_Port; self-discovery based on switch type (U_Port); optional port type control in Brocade Access Gateway mode: F_Port and NPIV-enabled N_Port
Data Traffic Types
- Fabric switches supporting unicast and broadcast
- 8 Gbit/sec: Requires Brocade hot-pluggable
SFP+, LC connector; 8 Gbit/sec
Short-Wavelength Laser (SWL); 8 Gbit/sec
Long-Wavelength Laser (LWL); distance depends on fiber-optic cable and port speed
4 Gbit/sec: Requires Brocade hot-pluggable
Small Form-factor Pluggable (SFP), LC connector; 4 Gbit/sec
Short-Wavelength Laser (SWL); 4 Gbit/sec
Long-Wavelength Laser (LWL); 4 Gbit/sec
Extended Long-Wavelength Laser (ELWL); distance depends on fiber-optic cable and port speed
- Simple Name Server (SNS); Registered State Change Notification (RSCN), NTP v3, Reliable Commit Service (RCS), Dynamic Path Selection (DPS), Brocade Advanced Zoning (default zoning, port/WWN zoning, broadcast zoning), NPIV, and FDMI
NOTE: Some fabric services do not apply or are unavailable in Brocade Access Gateway mode
- 4Gb SFP & 8Gb SFP+ transceivers (single pack)
Ports on Demand (12-port license upgrade kit - for 12-port model only)
Enterprise Performance Pack : Software option for 12-port and 24-port models that includes Adaptive Networking, ISL Trunking, Fabric Watch, and Advanced Performance Monitoring)
ISL Trunking: Software option for 12-port and 24-port models
- Supported Mgmt Software
Telnet, HTTP, SNMP v1/v3 (FE MIB, FC Management MIB); Auditing, Syslog, Change Management tracking; EZSwitchSetup wizard;
Brocade Advanced Web Tools; Brocade DCFM Professional/Enterprise; SMI-S compliant, SMI-S scripting toolkit, Administrative Domains
SSL, SSH v2, HTTPS, LDAP, RADIUS, Role-Based Access Control (RBAC), DH-CHAP (between switches and end devices), Port Binding, Switch Binding, Secure RPC, Secure Copy (SCP), Trusted Switch, IPSec, IP Filtering
In-band over Fibre Channel; serial port (RJ-45); call-home integration enabled through Brocade DCFM
POST and embedded online/offline diagnostics, including RAStrace logging, environmental monitoring, non-disruptive daemon restart,FCping and Pathinfo (FC traceroute), port mirroring (SPAN port)
- Width: 272.75 mm
Height: 32.48 mm
Depth: 307.24 mm
Weight: 4.65 Pounds— without media
Environmental Operating Conditions
Operating: 0°C to 40°C(32°F to 104°F)
Non-operating: -20°C to 70°C(-4°F to 158°F)
Operating: 10% to 90%, non-condensing at 29°C
Non-operating: 5% to 95%, non-condensing at 38°C
Up to 3,048 m (10,000 ft)
Up to 10.668km (35,000ft)
20G for 6ms
50G with a velocity change of 4216 mm/sec squared
Operating: 0.4G at 5 Hz to 500 Hz for 60 minutes
Non-operating: 0.5G at 2 Hz to 200 Hz for 15 minutes; 1.04 grms random for 15 minutes
- DC Input 12V and 3.3V from chassis
Power consumption About 32 Watts
Dell ProSupportFaster, more reliable support services designed to address the technology challenges you face today. This new support portfolio is focused on your needs, time demands and budgets.
Need professional support services that take care of both you and your employees’ IT needs 7x24? Choose Dell™ ProSupport™ to get access to a certified technician in two minutes or less.
Got an IT staff? Choose Dell ProSupport for IT and get tech-to-tech support with Fast-Track dispatch, along with 7x24 access to Dell-certified technicians.
Dell ProSupport for End Users
Designed for organizations with limited or no dedicated IT staff.
- 7x24 direct break-fix hardware support for your employees
- "How-to" support on popular software applications such as Norton™ AntiVirus, Microsoft® Office, Microsoft Small Business Server, Intuit® QuickBooks®, Adobe® Photoshop® and Adobe Acrobat®.
- Access to a certified technician in two minutes or less
Dell ProSupport for IT
- 7x24 Direct access to Dell expert centers
- Fast-track dispatch for Dell-certified technicians
- Escalation management through Dell's Global Command Centers
Next, add Same-day Response for faster resolution:
Same-day Response — Ideal for customers using their Dell systems for time-sensitive operations or critical business functions. A Dell-trained technician will arrive onsite within 4 hours after problem determination, depending on location, to help get your system back in operation as rapidly as possible.
Basic Hardware Warranty
- One year unit exchange limited hardware warranty supplemented with one year of Next Business Day part or unit hardware replacement
- 7-day/24-hour Telephone Technical Support for troubleshooting and diagnosis of Dell hardware
Customization and Set-Up
- Installation — Dell provides streamlined standard installation services so you can easily choose the specific package that quickly gets new systems into the workspace and old systems out.
- You can upgrade to three years of part or unit hardware replacement, with either same day, 4 Hours or Next Business Day response.