Enterprise storage for virtualized data centers and the cloud
Dell™ Compellent™ Storage Center with Fluid Data technology delivers an all-in-one storage array that always puts data in the right place at the right time for the right cost — and dynamically adapts to meet changing business needs.
Announcement: Press Release
- Automate and manage your entire infrastructure.
- Protect your data against downtime and disaster.
- Experience best-in-class enterprise support with immediate response.
Manage and virtualize your data efficientlyDell Compellent Storage Center delivers optimized efficiency, agility and resiliency to scale on a single platform and secure data against downtime and disaster with the multi-protocol Dell Compellent Storage Center featuring Fluid Data technology.
EfficiencyDell Compellent Storage Center is an enterprise data storage array that delivers high performance with fewer drives, power and space. In fact, with Fluid Data storage, your cost per gigabyte can actually decrease as you grow.
- Storage virtualization — storage is virtualized at the drive level, creating an ultra-efficient, high-performance pool of storage shared by all servers and applications.
- Thin provisioning — virtual volumes of any size are provisioned upfront, yet physical capacity is only consumed on write.
- Automated tiered storage — using granular real-time intelligence, snapshots and inactive data automatically move to lower-cost drives, while new writes and active data remain on high-performance drives.
AgilityDell Compellent Storage Center forms a solid foundation for flexible grid storage, allowing you to scale up and out with dynamic business continuity. What’s more, you can do it all without downtime or disruption.
- Technology independence — mix and match the latest drive and interconnect technologies, and easily add new technologies as they become available.
- Non-disruptive architecture — add capacity, dynamically change system configuration and initiate new functionality online without disrupting operations or suspending data access.
- Unified storage management — easily manage your entire storage infrastructure and save time and effort through built-in automation.
- Dynamic business continuity — non-disruptively migrate volumes between storage arrays and data centers, creating an on-demand cloud infrastructure.
ResiliencyThe Dell Compellent Storage Center enables you to continuously protect data against downtime and disaster—without the need for full-volume clones, capacity pre-allocation or high-speed data links. Fully redundant hardware and advanced failover features help to ensure high availability.
- Space-efficient snapshots — once an initial snapshot is taken, only incremental changes in data need to be captured, allowing you to take continuous snapshots for near-instant recovery to any point in time.
- Thin replication — cost-effectively replicate data synchronously or asynchronously over Fibre Channel or IP connections. Only subsequent changes are replicated following initial site synchronization.
- Highly-available architecture — deliver uninterrupted data access with clustered controllers, automated failover, dual paths from servers to drives, virtualized ports, and fully redundant power supplies and fans.
Intelligent, automated softwareFluid Data technology empowers organizations to move beyond simply storing data to actively managing data. Built-in intelligence and automation optimize the storage environment, and every advanced enterprise feature is fully integrated for optimum efficiency, flexibility and performance.
Dell Compellent Fluid Data technology virtualizes storage at the disk level, accelerating data access by spreading read/write operations across drives so multiple requests are processed in parallel. You can create high-performance, ultraefficient virtual volumes in seconds without allocating drives to specific servers, complicated capacity planning or manual performance tuning. Remove the limitations of physical drives and dynamically change and scale your virtualized pool without disruption or downtime.
Dynamic Capacity: thin provisioningBuilt into every Dell Compellent Storage Center system, thin provisioning delivers efficient storage utilization. Our advanced thin provisioning, called Dynamic Capacity, completely separates storage allocation from utilization, enabling users to allocate any size volume up front yet only consume physical capacity on write. You can even reclaim capacity that is no longer in use by applications, automatically reduce the space needed for virtual OS volumes and convert traditional volumes on existing storage to thin-provisioned capacity.
Data Progression: Automated tiered storageBased on actual use and performance requirements, Dell Compellent Data Progression automatically classifies and migrates data to the optimum tier and RAID level. All new data is written to Tier 1, RAID 10, for the highest write performance, yet snapshots automatically move to the lowest tier and most cost-effective RAID level within 24 hours. The most active blocks of data remain on high-performance SSD, Fiber Channel or SAS drives, while inactive blocks dynamically migrate to lower-cost, high-capacity NL-SAS drives. With Data Progression, organizations can dramatically reduce ongoing costs of storage.
Data Instant Replay: Space-efficient snapshotsDell Compellent Data Instant Replay enables organizations to take thousands of continuous snapshots to speed recovery to any point in time. Fluid Data technology doesn’t require full-volume clones — not even to provide a base snapshot. Instead, after first write an initial snapshot is taken of that write data only. Subsequently, only incremental changes in data are captured and the system uses real-time intelligence to create virtual pointers between all associated blocks. Stored on lower-cost drives to free up Tier 1 capacity, in most cases these readable/writable snapshots can be used to recover any size volume to any server in less than 10 seconds.
Remote Instant Replay: Thin replicationDell Compellent thin replication technology, called Remote Instant Replay, leverages space-efficient snapshots between local and remote sites to deliver a cost-effective disaster recovery solution. After initial site synchronization, only incremental changes in data need to be replicated regularly, cutting hardware, bandwidth and administration costs. You can choose between replicating data over Fiber Channel or native IP connections, depending on your unique business requirements.
Live Volume: Dynamic business continuityDell Compellent Live Volume enables organizations to move volumes on demand between Storage Center arrays within a local storage grid. All migration occurs transparently while applications remain online. And the functionality is fully integrated into the virtualized storage platform, eliminating the need for additional hardware or server-side agents. Live Volume supports any virtualized server environment. In fact, migrated volumes automatically map to associated hosts regardless of physical location to Dell complement leading virtual machine movement engines.
Storage Center GUI: Intuitive managementDell Compellent Storage Center features a unified, point-and-click interface that cuts administration time and eliminates the need for specialized skills. The intuitive interface automates repetitive, time-consuming tasks so data center staff can focus on other important projects. Complex allocation, configuration and administration functions are easily accomplished with wizards to guide the process. And comprehensive Support Assist capabilities deliver remote, diagnostic and monitoring tools coupled with automated alert and notification services.
Enterprise Manager: Enterprise storage managementEnterprise Manager simplifies storage resource management by providing comprehensive monitoring and management of all local and remote Dell Compellent Storage Center systems. You can gain instant visibility and control of a multi-terabyte, multilocation environment, streamlining administration and reducing operating costs. Configure and verify remote replication processes, monitor storage capacity and disk utilization in real time, and generate comprehensive storage usage and performance reports — all from a single pane of glass.
Data Center Automation: Technology partner integrationWith aggressive platform integration, ongoing interoperability testing and collaborative design efforts, Dell Compellent delivers best-of-breed data center automation for industry-leading applications. Dell Compellent has a vast array of integration points with VMware® to manage storage and virtual machines together including a vSphere™ plug-in, a vCenter™ SRM adapter and VAAI plug-in support.The Storage Center Command Set for Windows PowerShell streamlines system management with an intuitive scripting interface. Replay Manager provides consistent, automated backup and restore for Microsoft® Exchange, SQL Server® and Hyper-V™ data. These certified and validated platforms ensure seamless interoperability and support.
Award-winning service with over 96 percent customer satisfaction
Dell Compellent™ Copilot Support delivers proactive, comprehensive 24x7 technical support that covers the storage center infrastructure. Operating out of a state-of-the-art U.S. call center, Dell Compellent Copilot engineers continuously monitor system performance and alert customers of potential issues. Dell Compellent Copilot Support provides:
- 24x7 access to highly trained Dell Compellent Copilot Support engineers.
- Priority or next business day on-site* response by Dell Compellent-certified technicians.
- Priority, next business day or UPS ground delivery of replacement parts.
- Storage system monitoring via integrated SupportAssist technology.
|Speed of response||Protection||Premium proactive|
|Call center: A phone call away — Perfect for enterprise storage environments where immediate phone assistance by a highly trained support engineer is a must to speed issue resolution and avoid unplanned downtime.|
On-site: Priority or next business day — Choose from priority (4/8/24-hour, depending on location) or next business day on-site* response by a Dell Compellent-certified technician.
Parts delivery: Priority or next business day — Choose from priority (4/8/24-hour, depending on location) or next business day parts delivery. UPS ground shipping also available.
|Data management and protection ||SupportAssist — Provides enhanced proactive support capabilities through:|
Dell Compellent ServicesDell Services storage experts go beyond everyday administration to help you improve the performance and utilization of your Dell Compellent Storage Center system. The Dell Compellent Services portfolio provides system installation and implementation, as well as training. From disaster recovery planning to physical relocation, the Dell Services team is available to provide professional assistance when you need it.
- Dell Compellent Deployment. Implement fast. Implement correctly. Implement once. No need for your IT staff to spend time researching correct processes and advanced configuration task sequences or purchasing the correct tools. We can reduce costs and relieve your IT department of the time-consuming implementation tasks that otherwise divert valuable IT resources from business-critical activities.
We bring two unmatched values to every implementation: deep knowledge of our products and broad experience deploying them. We do thousands of deployments every year across the globe, in just about every type of customer environment. From this vast experience we have acquired best practices that are integrated into our processes. As a result, we are very well aware of what undocumented activity must occur to avoid mistakes. In addition to doing it right the first time, we rarely encounter situations or issues for which we are not prepared. So, you can be confident your new Dell Compellent storage system is installed properly, configured per the design specifications and that your data is migrated safely from your legacy storage system without disrupting operations or end users.
- Dell Compellent Copilot Optimize. Through the personal assistance of a dedicated support expert, we help you improve system utilization and performance with proactive reviews, health checks and evaluations, as well as advanced configuration and software support. Ensure a highly available and optimal performing storage area network (SAN) through ongoing best practice guidance while minimizing diagnostic troubleshooting and reducing service calls.
- Dell Compellent Training. Our Administration and Management and Advanced Instructor-led courses are designed to help you understand how to manage and maintain your storage center on an ongoing basis to ensure efficient utilization and continuous availability. These courses are led by our knowledgeable storage experts who will guide you through hands-on exercises to ensure you gain the necessary skills to maximize your storage center performance.
- Dell Education Services trains over 10,000 individuals a year for companies and organizations just like yours. We are committed to offering essential courses and programs with options to fit your unique needs. We create a wide array of training plans that work for you ranging from convenient online self-paced training, to live distance learning, which allows you to virtually be in the classroom with a live instructor while sitting in front of your own computer to hands-on, instructor-led classroom training offered at various sites or at the convenience of your location.
Dell Storage Consulting ServicesStorage consulting from Dell helps customers develop transformational strategies to meet their complex data management business needs. By engaging Dell, customers can optimize the way that data is stored, protected and managed, allowing customers to free up valuable resources, budget and time. Here are just some of the areas with which we can assist you:
- The consolidation of storage infrastructure within one/multiple data centers
- The optimization of storage infrastructure for virtual environments
- The development and adoption of data protection processes or improvement of backup operational processes
- The classification and categorization of data for storage tiering
- The planning, design and implementation of an IT Disaster Recovery plan or simply Data Disaster Recovery
Storage CenterThe Dell Compellent Fluid Data architecture allows organizations to select single- or dual-controller configurations with a combination of industry-standard front- and back-end interconnects to meet cost, performance and availability requirements. The Storage Center SAN supports 4/8Gb Fibre Channel, 1/10Gb iSCSI and 10Gb Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE) front-end connectivity as well as 4Gb Fibre Channel and 3/6Gb SAS for back-end connectivity.
Dell Compellent storage controllers connect to open-system servers without server-side agents, and automatically fail over to another controller when clustered. Redundant, hot-swappable power supplies and cooling fans help to ensure non-stop operation and high availability. Virtual ports increase port capacity, disk bandwidth, I/O (input/output)connectivity and port failover.
Network Attached Storage
Beyond the multiprotocol SAN capabilities of Storage Center, Dell Compellent also extends the benefits of Fluid Data into network attached storage. Dell Compellent NAS solutions enable you to consolidate file.
With Dell Compellent NAS solutions, file serving operations remain separate from application operations to avoid bottlenecks from CPU-intensive processes. Clustered configurationshardware redundancy further enhance availability, with active/ active failover and advanced multipathing (MPxIO) helping to ensure no single point of failure
Disk enclosuresDell Compellent disk enclosures feature the latest industry-standard technology, including 6Gb SAS interconnects, so organizations can scale up and out with ease. Administrators can mix SSD, Fibre Channel, SAS and NLSAS drives in the same system as well as different speeds and capacities in the same enclosure.
Any combination of enclosures can be housed in an array to balance cost and performance. Users can change configuration on demand — adding, replacing or updating enclosures — as new technologies emerge and business needs change. Migrating data to new enclosures can be performed without disruption.
DrivesDell Compellent drives feature the latest industry-standard innovations. Organizations can combine SSD, Fibre Channel, SAS and NLSAS drives in the same system. Administrators simply choose the drive types, capacities, form factors, transfer rates and rotational speeds that make sense for their business and application needs. Dell Compellent Data Progression software automates the movement of data among drive types in the storage pool — between tiers and RAID levels, including RAID levels within the same tier.
Dell Compellent 3.5" disk drives support 4Gb Fibre Channel and 3/6Gb SAS back-end connectivity. Also available are 2.5" 6Gb SAS drives, which deliver twice the performance, yet consume much less power than conventional 3Gb SAS drives.
With Dell Compellent Fluid Data storage, you can add disk capacity on the fly as business needs change. Also, migrating data to new drives can be performed without disruption.