High Port Count Gigabit Ethernet Switching 48-port Blade Switch
Call for PricingSelect
The PowerConnect™ M6348 delivers increased port density valuable to blades utilizing virtualization in today’s data centers.
- 32 internal Gigabit Ethernet server ports (two per server blade)
- 16 external integrated RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet ports
- Stacking for up to twelve systems
- Supports CX4 and SFP+ 10GE uplink connections
Advanced 48-port blade switch offering from Dell
The Dell Networking M6348 is one of the most advanced blade switch offerings from Dell™, with advanced core switching capabilities for today’s data center. This 48-port GbE Layer 3 switch supports stacking, offers integrated 10 Gigabit uplink ports and is IP version 6 (IPv6)-certified, enabling broader worldwide scalability.
High-performance stacking is supported for up to 12 systems, and advanced security and quality-of-service (QoS) features make this switch ideal for applications, such as server virtualization, Voice over IP (VoIP), Layer 3 routing, high-performance computing cluster (HPPC) and Internet SCSI (iSCSI) storage.
Advanced security: The switch can support Access Control Lists (ACLs), allowing the user to perform deep packet inspection. 802.1x port authentication offers both single and multiple host access. Further security is provided through denial-of-service (DoS) attack prevention, whereby the switch can help protect against common network attacks and CPU attacks.
High density: Delivering extreme rack density in a bladed form factor, the Dell Networking M6348 is designed to give users the flexibility to maximize blade server connectivity in a 0U form factor. Up to 192 nonredundant servers can be connected in a stack of 12 M6348 series blade switches to provide the maximum density, flexibility and manageability.
Integrated 10 GbE: The Dell Networking M6348 provides excellent performance for GbE and additionally provides four integrated ports of 10 GbE. Two SFP+ ports can be used to aggregate and deliver I/O (input/output) over optical connections at greater distances or to top-of-rack switches over short reach connections. Two CX4 ports are also available as 10GbE connections or can alternatively be used to stack up to 12 M6348 switches.
Advanced QoS: The Dell Networking M6348 offers flexibility in QoS by giving network administrators the ability to prioritize time-critical network traffic based on a variety of user-defined criteria. Administrators can expedite traffic based on L2 or L3 information, such as IP QoS, and provide greater control over traffic flow within the network. Voice virtual LANs (VLANs) are provided specifically for VoIP applications.
IPv6 Certified: IPv6 is version six of the Internet Protocol that has been in development for over 20 years. IPv6 has been designed to address IP address limitations of previous version of the Internet Protocol, enabling an increased number of unique IP addresses for broader scalability worldwide, now and in the future.
Advanced Layer 3 capabilities: The Dell Networking M6348 supports advanced Layer 3 routing and multicast protocols to help reduce congestion and manage traffic in the network. It also supports frequently used LAN routing protocols, namely:
- Routing Information Protocol (RIP) v1/v2
- Open Shortest Path First (OSPF) v2/v3
- Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP)
- Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP)
- Distance Vector Multicast Routing Protocol (DVMRP)
- Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM)
- Link Layer Discover Protocol-Media (LLDP-MED)
- 48 auto-sensing 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet switching ports:
32 internal server ports
16 external RJ45 Ethernet ports
Two 10GE SFP+ uplink ports
Two CX4 / 32Gbps Stacking ports (each port can be configured as either CX4 or 32Gbps stacking. 16Gbps in each direction)
Auto-negotiation for speed, duplex mode and flow control
Flow-based port mirroring
Broadcast storm control
- Switch Fabric Capacity 184 Gb/s
Forwarding Rate up to 160 Mpps
Up to 32K MAC Addresses
512MB of CPU SDRAM
64MB of Flash Memory
Layer 3 Routing Performance
Up to 10K IPv4 Routes
Up to 3K IPv6 Routes
Up to 512 RIP Routing Interfaces
Maximum OSPF V2 LSAs is 25165
Maximum OSPF V3 LSAs is 16992
Up to 32 routes for ECMP Routing; up to 4 next hops per ECMP
Up to 128 VLAN Routing Interfaces
Up to 2K Multicast Forwarding Entries
Up to 400 NDP entries
Up to 8K IPv4 ARP Entries
Up to 4K IPv6 ARP Entries
- Spanning Tree (IEEE 802.1D) and Rapid Spanning Tree (IEEE 802.1w) with Fast Link Support
Multiple spanning trees (IEEE 802.1s)
Supports Virtual Redundant Routing Protocol (VRRP)
Optical transceiver diagnostics
- VLAN support for tagging and port-based as per IEEE 802.1Q
Double VLAN tagging (QinQ)
Up to 1024 VLANs supported
Dynamic VLAN with GVRP support
Voice VLAN support
Quality of Service
- Layer 2 Trusted Mode (IEEE 802.1p tagging)
Layer 3 Trusted Mode (DSCP)
Layer 4 Trusted Mode (TCP/UDP)
Advanced Mode using Layer 2/3/4 flow-based Policies, including metering/rate limiting, marking and bandwidth guarantees; up to 100 ACLs can be used for QoS flow identification via Class-maps
8 Priority Queues per Port
Adjustable Weighted-Round-Robin (WRR) and Strict Queue Scheduling
Port-based QoS Services Mode
Flow-based QoS Services Mode
- Static IP Multicast
Dynamic Multicast Support – 1024 Multicast groups supported in IGMP Snooping
IGMP snooping for IP multicast support
IGMP and MLD snooping Querier
Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM-DM, PIM-SM)
- IEEE 802.1x based edge authentication -- supports single and multiple host access, guest access, and voice authorization.
Switch access password protection
User-definable settings for enabling or disabling Web, SSH, Telnet, SSL management access
IP Address filtering for management access via Telnet, HTTP, HTTPS/SSL, SSH and SNMP
RADIUS and TACACS+ remote authentication for switch management access
Up to 100 Access Control Lists (ACLs) supported; up to 12 Access Control Entries (ACEs) per ACL
SSLv3 and SSHv2 encryption for switch management traffic
Management access filtering via Management Access Profiles
- Link Aggregation with support for up to 48 LAGs total, up to 18 of which can be dynamic, aggregated links, 8 dynamic aggregated links per switch and up to 8 member ports per aggregated link; LACP support (IEEE 802.3ad), LLDP-MED
Support for unicast NLB (multicast NLB not supported)
- Supports a simple switch mode to allow auto configuration of complex network settings
- Web-based management interface
- Industry-standard CLI accessible via Telnet, SSH or Local Serial Port
- SNMPv1, SNMP v2c and SNMPv3 supported
- 4 RMON groups supported (history, statistics, alarms and events)
- FTP, HTTP, FTP, SFTP and SCP transfers of firmware and configuration files
- Dual Firmware images on-board
- Multiple Configuration file upload/download supported
- Statistics for error monitoring and performance optimization including port summary tables
- BootP/DHCP IP address and configuration management supported
- Syslog remote logging capabilities
- Temperature sensors for environmental monitoring
- 267 x 258 x 31mm (W x D x H)
10.5" x 10.2" x 1.2"
Approximate weight: 2.7kg, 5.8 lbs
- 512MB of CPU SDRAM
64MB of Flash Memory
- RFC 768, 783, 791, 792, 793, 826, 854, 855, 894, 896, 951, 1027, 1112, 1155, 1157, 1212, 1213, 1215, 1256, 1286, 1321, 1442, 1451, 1492, 1493, 1519, 1534, 1573, 1643, 1757, 1765, 1812,1867, 1901,1907, 1908, 1981, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2030, 2031, 2032, 2082, 2131, 2233, 2236, 2328, 2373, 2453, 2460, 2461, 2462, 2464, 2474, 2475, 2597, 2618, 2665, 2666, 2068, 2246, 2271, 2295, 2296, 2346, 2365, 2576, 2578, 2579, 2580, 2674, 2710, 2711, 2737, 2740, 2818, 2819, 2863, 2865, 2866, 2868, 2869, 2869bis, 3046, 3101, 3164, 3246, 3260, 3315, 3376, 3410, 3411, 3412, 3413, 3414, 3415, 3416, 3417, 3418, 3484, 3493, 3513, 3542, 3580, 3587, 3736, 3768, 3810, 3973, 4213, 4251, 4252, 4253, 4254, 4291, 4419, 4443, 4541, 4601, and 4716
- IEEE 802.1AB
Environmental Operating Conditions
- Operating Temperature: 0º C to 45º C
Storage Temperature: -20º C to 70º C
Operating Relative Humidity: 10% to 90% non-condensing
Storage Relative Humidity: 10% to 95% non-condensing
- See M1000e Modular Server Enclosure Owner’s Manual
AssessmentUsing specialized software, Dell professionals can pinpoint issues and expose flaws in your wired or wireless network. A report will then be issued that includes recommendations on how to improve performance, optimize devices and solutions to other identified problems.
Is your network complex and coiled? Dell can perform a detailed network evaluation to expose design flaws and give you advice on how to architect the future.
Network running slow? We’ll conduct an in-depth analysis to uncover network latency and performance issues of specific servers and applications.
|Wireless Site Survey|
Great wireless connectivity starts with a detailed site survey. Dell can analyze RF interference, identify optimal placement of devices, and recommend the best design.
|Network Security Assessment |
The network is under constant attack. Let our experts examine and uncover any potential holes in the network and provide a comprehensive security design assessment. Contact Dell for more information
DeploymentThe Dell standardized deployment service guarantees that set-up and optimization is done correctly so that you can launch faster and focus on daily business
Mounting and cabling of wired and wireless devices can be tedious and time-consuming. Let Dell install it for you so you know it’s done right.
Setting up network protocols, and policies can be tricky. Dell certified network professionals can configure and optimize your new hardware remotely or onsite.
Dell open systems architecture allows you to interconnect existing network infrastructure from Cisco, HP, Juniper, and others. Our experts will seamlessly weave it all together so you don’t have to.
SupportDell offers a variety of onsite and remote support options that can be added at time of purchase. Dell ProSupport ensures problems are diagnosed and resolved by experts.
|Onsite and Remote Assistance|
Get immediate access to Dell ProSupport professionals who can help you troubleshoot and diagnose issues that may arise in your network.
Free yourself to focus on the business and allow Dell to manage your network with dedicated professional support.
Learn practical knowledge and operational techniques. Browse through our networking courses at learn.dell.com
ConsultingWhen you need expert technical guidance, you can count on Dell. Our remote consulting team can help solve complex issues no matter where you're located. Plus, you can take advantage of the flexible pay-per-incident option.
Get professional insight with a half-day collaborative whiteboard session to discuss potential improvements. Contact us to request a workshop.
For those times when you need a little extra technical guidance, certified experts are available to discuss system design or help resolve complex issues.
|Available Remote Consulting Services|