Grow your capacity and performance with Dell Fluid File System (FluidFS) easily and nondisruptively as your needs increase over time.
Find Out More
Avoid the limits of traditional architectures.
Unify block and file storage using Dell Compellent™’s extremely agile shared infrastructure.
Find Out More
Manage storage intelligently.
Extend the efficiency and agility of the Dell Compellent architecture to the file environment.
Find Out More
Configure and monitor your Dell Compellent™ FS8600 system with the advanced features of Dell Compellent’s user interface, Enterprise Manager version 188.8.131.52 and later.
Find Out More
Operate with confidence.
Protect your data with enhanced backup and security features.
Find Out More
Rely on quality hardware.
Be assured that the Dell Compellent FS8600 has the hardware quality you expect from Dell, designed to provide reliability and high availability for the data center.
Find Out More
- Storage arrays supported
The FS8600 is supported with Dell Compellent Series 40 and SC8000 controllers. Storage Center Operating System versions 6.1.3 or later are supported.
Each dual-controller FS8600 appliance can support up to two Compellent Storage Center arrays with the ability to add up to three more FS8600 appliances into the same namespace to improve file performance.
One FS8600 appliance includes two controllers that operate in an active-active environment with cache mirroring between controller pairs.
- Front-end NAS connectivity
1GbE version: 4 x 1GbE ports per controller. 10GbE version: 2 x 10GbE ports per controller
Backend storage array connectivity
2 x 8Gb Fibre Channel ports per controller. Switch is required; direct connect to the SAN is not supported.
Redirect-on-write snapshots, user-accessible over the network.
Max system size
1PB (with two Storage Center systems and SCOS 6.1.3 or later)
Max file size
256 billion with 4 dual-controller appliances (64 billion per appliance)
Maximum number of directories
136 billion with 4 dual-controller appliances (34 billion per appliance)
Max NAS volumes
1,024 with 4 dual-controller appliances (256 per appliance)
Max snapshots per NAS volume
512 per NAS volume
10,000 per FS8600 system
Each controller has 24GB of memory (48GB per appliance). Each controller has its own backup battery that provides power sufficient to de-stage cache contents to a non-volatile internal storage device in the event of a power failure.
Max file name length
Max NFS mounts
Max CIFS shares
Max Quota rules (user quotas)
512 per NAS volume
100,000 per FS8600 system
Max directory depth
Certified with Dell NetVault Backup 8.6x and 9.0x, CommVault Simpana 9.x, Symantec NetBackup 7.x and Backup Exec 2010R3 & 2012, IBM Tivoli Storage Manager 6.3
ICAP: certified with Symantec ScanEngine 5.2 (also supports Symantec Protection Engine for Cloud 7.0)
- Compellent Enterprise Manager 184.108.40.206 or later or later, FluidFS GUI
- Protocol support
CIFS/SMBv1.0, NFSv3, Active Directory, LDAP, NIS, NDMP, SNMP
717W per appliance
242 BTU/hr Max @ 230 V AC, 322 BTU/hr Max @ 115 V AC
Maximum inrush current
Under typical line conditions and over the entire system ambient operating range, the inrush current may reach 55 A per power supply for 10 ms or less
- Physical (per controller)
8.64 cm (3.4 in)
44.63 cm (17.6 in) [does not include rack flange]
74.10 cm (29.2 in) [chassis]
81.30 cm (32.0 in) [with bezel and controllers installed]
CIFS/SMBv1.0, NFSv3, Active Directory, LDAP, NIS, NDMP, SNMPRack Support
ReadyRails II static rails for tool-less mounting in 4-post racks with square or unthreaded round holes or tooled mounting in 4-post threaded-hole racks
Environmental Operating Conditions
Operating: 10° to 40°C
Non-operating: -40°C to 70°C
Operating: 8% to 85% non-condensing
Non-operating: 5% to 95% non-condensing
Operating: 0.26 GRMS (5-350Hz @ 0.0002G2/Hz for 5 minutes)
Non-operating: 1.88 GRMS @ 10-500 Hz
Award-winning service with over 96 percent customer satisfaction
Dell Compellent™ Copilot Support delivers proactive, comprehensive 24x7 technical support that covers the storage center infrastructure. Operating out of a state-of-the-art U.S. call center, Dell Compellent Copilot engineers continuously monitor system performance and alert customers of potential issues. Dell Compellent Copilot Support provides:
- 24x7 access to highly trained Dell Compellent Copilot Support engineers.
- Priority or next business day on-site* response by Dell Compellent-certified technicians.
- Priority, next business day or UPS ground delivery of replacement parts.
- Storage system monitoring via integrated SupportAssist technology.
|Speed of response||Protection||Premium proactive|
|Call center: A phone call away — Perfect for enterprise storage environments where immediate phone assistance by a highly trained support engineer is a must to speed issue resolution and avoid unplanned downtime.|
On-site: Priority or next business day — Choose from priority (4/8/24-hour, depending on location) or next business day on-site* response by a Dell Compellent-certified technician.
Parts delivery: Priority or next business day — Choose from priority (4/8/24-hour, depending on location) or next business day parts delivery. UPS ground shipping also available.
|Data management and protection ||SupportAssist — Provides enhanced proactive support capabilities through:|
Dell Compellent ServicesDell Services storage experts go beyond everyday administration to help you improve the performance and utilization of your Dell Compellent Storage Center system. The Dell Compellent Services portfolio provides system installation and implementation, as well as training. From disaster recovery planning to physical relocation, the Dell Services team is available to provide professional assistance when you need it.
- Dell Compellent Deployment. Implement fast. Implement correctly. Implement once. No need for your IT staff to spend time researching correct processes and advanced configuration task sequences or purchasing the correct tools. We can reduce costs and relieve your IT department of the time-consuming implementation tasks that otherwise divert valuable IT resources from business-critical activities.
We bring two unmatched values to every implementation: deep knowledge of our products and broad experience deploying them. We do thousands of deployments every year across the globe, in just about every type of customer environment. From this vast experience we have acquired best practices that are integrated into our processes. As a result, we are very well aware of what undocumented activity must occur to avoid mistakes. In addition to doing it right the first time, we rarely encounter situations or issues for which we are not prepared. So, you can be confident your new Dell Compellent storage system is installed properly, configured per the design specifications and that your data is migrated safely from your legacy storage system without disrupting operations or end users.
- Dell Compellent Copilot Optimize. Through the personal assistance of a dedicated support expert, we help you improve system utilization and performance with proactive reviews, health checks and evaluations, as well as advanced configuration and software support. Ensure a highly available and optimal performing storage area network (SAN) through ongoing best practice guidance while minimizing diagnostic troubleshooting and reducing service calls.
- Dell Compellent Training. Our Administration and Management and Advanced Instructor-led courses are designed to help you understand how to manage and maintain your storage center on an ongoing basis to ensure efficient utilization and continuous availability. These courses are led by our knowledgeable storage experts who will guide you through hands-on exercises to ensure you gain the necessary skills to maximize your storage center performance.
- Dell Education Services trains over 10,000 individuals a year for companies and organizations just like yours. We are committed to offering essential courses and programs with options to fit your unique needs. We create a wide array of training plans that work for you ranging from convenient online self-paced training, to live distance learning, which allows you to virtually be in the classroom with a live instructor while sitting in front of your own computer to hands-on, instructor-led classroom training offered at various sites or at the convenience of your location.
Dell Storage Consulting ServicesStorage consulting from Dell helps customers develop transformational strategies to meet their complex data management business needs. By engaging Dell, customers can optimize the way that data is stored, protected and managed, allowing customers to free up valuable resources, budget and time. Here are just some of the areas with which we can assist you:
- The consolidation of storage infrastructure within one/multiple data centers
- The optimization of storage infrastructure for virtual environments
- The development and adoption of data protection processes or improvement of backup operational processes
- The classification and categorization of data for storage tiering
- The planning, design and implementation of an IT Disaster Recovery plan or simply Data Disaster Recovery