This article has instructions to find out when to update BIOS (System Setup).
What is a BIOS Update?
A BIOS update can often fix problems and or to add features to computer's hardware functionality.
It is best to review the release notes to determine whether the update will benefit your system.
Also, review the instructions that are included with the BIOS update software, prior to performing an update.
Incorrectly changing BIOS settings may leave the computer in a state in which the operating system no longer starts. We recommend that you record the original BIOS settings before you modify them.
How to flash the BIOS (or do a BIOS update)?
- Browse to the Drivers and Downloads page
- Enter the computer service tag (to get a concise list of drivers for your specific product)
or select the product from the list of Dell Products
- Under Refine your results select BIOS.
- Click Download File and choose the download method. Refer for instruction to download files
using Download Manager.
- If you are using single file download, click continue.
- At the prompt to Run or Save, click Save and Run (Note the folder where the file is saved).
- A new window will appear, follow the instructions to finish the installation.
Additional Information on BIOS
"How Do I Know If I Should Update the BIOS on My Computer"
"How to use the Drivers and Downloads Website?"
"How to Clear the BIOS Password"
"Downgrading the System BIOS on Dell Computers"
"Video on How to update System Setup(BIOS)? (English Only)"