The Chromebook ships in a special mode to prevent accidental battery discharge during shipping. You must connect a A/C adapter to the Chromebook for the initial boot and setup. After the initial boot and setup the Chromebook will operate normally. .
The Dell Chromebook is a portable computer that runs the Chrome Operating System and uses your Google account to connect to the internet. If you do not have a Google account, you can create one for free at any time.
When you first unpack the Chromebook, you should connect the AC adapter to the power connector on the left edge of the computer and plug the other end into an AC electrical outlet. The battery may have lost its charge during shipping. The power connector will glow when it has power.
- Press and release the power key at the upper right corner of the keyboard.
- On the Welcome screen, select your language, keyboard layout, and choose which network to which the device will be connected. If the network is secure, you will need to enter the proper password. After making these choices, click Continue.
- The next screen will display the Chrome OS terms of agreement. There will be a check box to allow automatic usage statistics and crash reports to be sent to Google. You may choose to opt out of this if you wish. You must click Accept and continue to complete the setup.
- The next screen allows you to sign in using your Google account. If you do not have a Google account, you can create one at this point or you can choose to continue and browse as a guest.
If the device is set for enterprise enrollment, you will not be able to register the device until you coordinate with your network administrator or cancel enterprise enrollment by pressing CTRL + Alt + E.
- After entering your Google account information, you should be at the Chrome desktop. There will be icons for Google Apps, the Chrome Browser, Gmail, Google Search (which also launches the Chrome Browser), Google Docs, You Tube, and the Get Started app.
Backup and recovery
You can create a backup of your Chromebook Operating System at any time and store it on a USB key or SD card which can be used in case of future problems with the operating system. For more details visit the Chromebook Help website.